Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No advance seat assignments in paid business class on AA's codeshares on JAL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

Ummmm this is a new one for me: Called AA Reservations for seat assignments for my AA codeshare flights in June (R class, paid business class $2600RT so discounted but not free, bought on AA.com) JFK-SFO-NRT-CGK and return. SFO-NRT-CGK and return are all JAL codeshares.
AAgent read to me the following: "Passengers in G and R class are not allowed advance seat assignments; these are airport only, starting 24 hours before departure."
What!?

AA should disclose this on the booking page. I could have just as easily taken AA on the trans Pacific segments. In the end, I'm OK since I'll have a Sky Suite (777-300ER), even if it's a middle seat-- but this is not a good look for either AA or JL.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't you be selecting your seats through JL? I'm not saying it will be allowed but generally I always select seats through the operating carrier.

Is there a chance that your OW status (do you have status?) will override this rule? It does on BA if you have OWE.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:17 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Shouldn't you be selecting your seats through JL? I'm not saying it will be allowed but generally I always select seats through the operating carrier.

Is there a chance that your OW status (do you have status?) will override this rule? It does on BA if you have OWE.
No, AA is responsible for seat assignment on AA coded flights operated by JAL

I'd like to select my seats for an upcoming flight. How can I pre-assign my seat?
If your flight is operated by Japan Airlines but marketed by American Airlines(i.e. American Airlines flight number [AA8404]) or other airlines(i.e. Malaysia Airlines flight number [MH9109]), please contact the marketing airlines for seat requests.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That page also says that everything other then G booking code is eligible for seat selection
Old May 24, 2022, 1:20 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That page also says that everything other then G booking code is eligible for seat selection
JAL fares not AA fares. JL R bucket is for premium economy, so obviously not the same fare as the one OP bought.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Right, all seating for JAL flights bought under a codeshare are done by the marketing carrier. Except when you call the marketing carrier and get told that R class doesn't allow seat assignments.
BA also does this for their own Club/Business Class tickets booked in discounted classes; not sure if the same applies for codeshares or if AA warns you when buying a ticket.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Interesting, bought a JL operated AA marketed flight, used the chat feature in the AA app and requested seats on all 4 of my segments from AA to JL, which reflected in my reservation the next day.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by safari ari
Interesting, bought a JL operated AA marketed flight, used the chat feature in the AA app and requested seats on all 4 of my segments from AA to JL, which reflected in my reservation the next day.
Slightly off topic, but I had booked an AA award flight on JAL in F only to notice (via BA) that the plane had changed and there is no more F on the flight. Would have been nice to have been notified to that effect and dealing with AA now to try to get that fixed into business...
Old May 24, 2022, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'd call back. I recently took JL booked through AA and the first agent said that they can't do it and to call JL. JL told me call AA. Called AA back and the new agent was able to assign them within 30 seconds.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'd call back. I recently took JL booked through AA and the first agent said that they can't do it and to call JL. JL told me call AA. Called AA back and the new agent was able to assign them within 30 seconds.
Okay, but were you in G/R class specifically? If not, then not really comparable to OP.
LINDEGR and kyushuman like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Okay, but were you in G/R class specifically? If not, then not really comparable to OP.
I was not. But my point was that AA does have agents that come up with stuff that isn't always accurate.
TheDudeAbides and wrp96 like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Possibly, my flight cost was in the same ballpark as OP, but I didn't pay any attention to the fare class because from an earning perspective its all $$$ on AA.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
An AAgent was able to assign me seats on an AA codeshare JAL operated flight (AA booking class R)
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wlbatl
An AAgent was able to assign me seats on an AA codeshare JAL operated flight (AA booking class R)
Maybe I just got the wrong AAgent? I didn't even try to HUCA since she seemed quite confident!
When was this? Recently? Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Maybe I just got the wrong AAgent? I didn't even try to HUCA since she seemed quite confident!
When was this? Recently? Thanks!
Yes it was the other day. No problem at all. HUCA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.