Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship First Paid Upgrades (through app, kiosk, counter, etc.)

Old May 20, 2022, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver

I don’t use AA often (normally BA or Virgin) - what’s the AA policy / approach on paid upgrades at check in ? I see on an upcoming flight there are seats available in F (currently im in J) on a 777-300 - do AA allow paid upgrade at check in similar to BA ?
Old May 20, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Chris9642
I don’t use AA often (normally BA or Virgin) - what’s the AA policy / approach on paid upgrades at check in ? I see on an upcoming flight there are seats available in F (currently im in J) on a 777-300 - do AA allow paid upgrade at check in similar to BA ?
They do, you might see a promotional upgrade online when you manage your booking or during online check-in.

As a data point, I was offered a upgrade to F from J for Ł326 before online check-in, during and at the airport.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by haroon145
They do, you might see a promotional upgrade online when you manage your booking or during online check-in.

As a data point, I was offered a upgrade to F from J for Ł326 before online check-in, during and at the airport.
That’s great I wasn’t sure they offered it - there are multiple seats available in F so I will check at LHR before my flight
Old May 20, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Chris9642
That’s great I wasn’t sure they offered it - there are multiple seats available in F so I will check at LHR before my flight
Check online and in the app before you get to the airport too.
NickP 1K likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Unlike BA and VS where you can ask at check in for next cabin day of departure upgrades and pay accordingly - with AA you need to upgrade ahead of check in or if using a kiosk - at check in. Agents do not deal with these upgrades, they will only deal with upgrades with instruments (Systemwide, etc or miles)
Old May 20, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
They offer them either in the app or at check in on kiosks.

that said, unless you're connecting in JFK, DFW or MIA or LHR, and can redeem the benefit of CCR or FFD, it's not worth it at all.

Identical inflight service except for one tiny extra amouse Bouche and a seat that is spacious with no privacy and several of the seats themselves rock back and forth ever so slightly.
​​​
​​​​
asnovici likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Unlike BA and VS where you can ask at check in for next cabin day of departure upgrades and pay accordingly - with AA you need to upgrade ahead of check in or if using a kiosk - at check in. Agents do not deal with these upgrades, they will only deal with upgrades with instruments (Systemwide, etc or miles)
I was unable to do OLCI in SFO last month. Asked at checkin desk - not kiosk - and was able to get a cash upgrade (listed as LFBU on my BP).
brodielayne likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I have an AA ticket (bought with cash) on BA 777 J. The route is JFK-LHR and LHR-JFK. I would like to upgrade to F on day of departure. Is this possible?
Old May 20, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP are you aware of the additional benefits to “flagship” first? Just want to make sure you have your expectations in check before giving AA a bag of money.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by enviroian
OP are you aware of the additional benefits to “flagship” first? Just want to make sure you have your expectations in check before giving AA a bag of money.
That's right - BA F is a steal for Ł350, even without CCR, but AA F without FFD is almost equal to J. (OP usually flies BA)
Old May 20, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by golfer20
That's right - BA F is a steal for Ł350, even without CCR, but AA F without FFD is almost equal to J. (OP usually flies BA)
I'd say even with FFD, it's not worth nearly Ł350. You can eat way better at a restaurant for that much.
​​​​​​
Old May 20, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I have an AA ticket (bought with cash) on BA 777 J. The route is JFK-LHR and LHR-JFK. I would like to upgrade to F on day of departure. Is this possible?
Yes. You can ask at check in with BA if there is an AUP (airport upgrade) available. See:
Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2021/22 thread
Buster CT1K and Antarius like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Rare AA flyer, have flown transcon J once-- nice experience.
I got the great NYC-CGK fare for $2500 minus a Trip Credit I have that was expiring, so it was a great deal. Was able to route for 840 BA TPs (6 flights x 140 TPs)
It's JFK- SFO on a Monday at 8:29PM, then JAL flights on the international sectors, returning for a 1pm SFO-JFK the next week.
Got a $350 J to F upgrade offer each way, JFK-SFO and return.... After doing about 30 min of research, and trying to figure out if info is from pre Covid etc-- I have a few comments/questions I'd love some feedback on. Based on my preliminary thoughts, I'd like to do the upgrade on the outbound just for fun and also to try out the FF Dining. I'll have several hours in the lounge after my positioning flight. On the return there is just a blah Admirals Club in SFO so I don't think it'd be worth it any way.

1) Food and drink is identical in F and J. Yes?
2) Seating on F is single seats vs. pairs on J
3) F boarding pass would all me into the Flagship First Dining, while J would not. It does look like fun, and I'll have lots of time at JFK.
4) I'm OW Sapphire and would get FF lounge access anyway (or maybe I would on J transcon anyway too?)
5) I'm a BA Silver (Sapphire)-- I have read that British Airways TPs are occasionally awarded 210 TPs for the upgraded F class (even though accrual should likely be the original fare class of R so 140 TPs) . Anyone with recent experience on this?
6) Is this $350 price normal/good/bad? Does the offer change/disappear much? Any other recent prices for this upgrade?

THANK YOU for any recent info!
Old May 20, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Please see answers in bold.

Originally Posted by kyushuman

1) Food and drink is identical in F and J. Yes? They’re different. F has a soup course and potentially more personalized service. Choices are also a tad different for food and drink.
2) Seating on F is single seats vs. pairs on J Correct
3) F boarding pass would all me into the Flagship First Dining, while J would not. It does look like fun, and I'll have lots of time at JFK. Correct. Given your long layover and the need for TPs, this may make the instant upgrade worth it.
4) I'm OW Sapphire and would get FF lounge access anyway (or maybe I would on J transcon anyway too?) Correct.
5) I'm a BA Silver (Sapphire)-- I have read that British Airways TPs are occasionally awarded 210 TPs for the upgraded F class (even though accrual should likely be the original fare class of R so 140 TPs) . Anyone with recent experience on this? No direct experience for TPs, but in my experience, the instant upgrades re-ticket into full F. In the old EQM days, this would result in 3X EQMs. Applying this to TPs, the calculations would be based off F not R.
6) Is this $350 price normal/good/bad? Does the offer change/disappear much? Any other recent prices for this upgrade? That’s a solid price / going rate. They can disappear instantaneously and glitch out on the app or website.

THANK YOU for any recent info!
Old May 20, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Please see answers in bold.
Thanks so much for that info.
Just thought of another question: Leaving at 829PM from JFK-SFO.
Will that be a full dinner service flight or will something be limited because of a later departure time? Thanks again.
ryanbriar likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.