Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship First Paid Upgrades (through app, kiosk, counter, etc.)

Flagship First Paid Upgrades (through app, kiosk, counter, etc.)

Old May 20, 22, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman View Post
5) I'm a BA Silver (Sapphire)-- I have read that British Airways TPs are occasionally awarded 210 TPs for the upgraded F class (even though accrual should likely be the original fare class of R so 140 TPs) . Anyone with recent experience on this?
THANK YOU for any recent info!
AA consistently will only credit to BA the actual booked fare class and will not credit these cash upgrades. Unless a very rare mistake is made you will not receive the TPs for F when purchasing one of these LFBU upgrades. There are many reports of this in the BA forum. This, of course, is quite different from BA where paid upgrades receive credit for the upgraded class of service.
Tier points for POUGs & AUPs on oneworld airlines
Ba tier points on AA
Tier points on AA First Class
kyushuman likes this.
Old May 20, 22, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman View Post
Thanks so much for that info.
Just thought of another question: Leaving at 829PM from JFK-SFO.
Will that be a full dinner service flight or will something be limited because of a later departure time? Thanks again.
The AA website will list either dinner or snack for your flight selection. The 9:30 PM JFK to LAX is a snack, but it is pretty close to a full meal service when I had it a couple weeks ago in J.
kyushuman likes this.
Old May 21, 22, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
AA consistently will only credit to BA the actual booked fare class and will not credit these cash upgrades. Unless a very rare mistake is made you will not receive the TPs for F when purchasing one of these LFBU upgrades. There are many reports of this in the BA forum. This, of course, is quite different from BA where paid upgrades receive credit for the upgraded class of service.
Ba tier points on AA
LFBU's on AA are considered ancillary and don't change the fare or booking class. (and AA doesn't conisder ancillaries like this for posting to loyralty programs (theirs or their partners)
Old May 21, 22, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by golfer20 View Post
That's right - BA F is a steal for £350, even without CCR, but AA F without FFD is almost equal to J. (OP usually flies BA)
Couldn't agree more. BA F would indeed be a steal for £350. AA F is questionable, at best. Reminds me of the recent articles and thread of how AA could rock the boat and offer an exceptional F product to overseas destinations (and frankly their transcon-configured A321).
Old May 21, 22, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Spanish View Post
Couldn't agree more. BA F would indeed be a steal for £350. AA F is questionable, at best. Reminds me of the recent articles and thread of how AA could rock the boat and offer an exceptional F product to overseas destinations (and frankly their transcon-configured A321).
For Transatlantic it's super questionable, even with FFD. Back pre-COVID when they served everyone Krug $350 may have been an interesting value proposition. It just needs more - the seat isn't that much better than most of the J seats (the lack of privacy is overblown, there's only 6 seats, and they're forward of the J "mini cabin"). Something like CK treatment where you get carted to the lounge and gate. Maybe even airside private gate shuttle for tight connections. The soft product should be enhanced too, maybe not separate dishes but they could throw in caviar and better booze.
Antarius and ryanbriar like this.
Old May 21, 22, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
For Transatlantic it's super questionable, even with FFD. Back pre-COVID when they served everyone Krug $350 may have been an interesting value proposition. It just needs more - the seat isn't that much better than most of the J seats (the lack of privacy is overblown, there's only 6 seats, and they're forward of the J "mini cabin"). Something like CK treatment where you get carted to the lounge and gate. Maybe even airside private gate shuttle for tight connections. The soft product should be enhanced too, maybe not separate dishes but they could throw in caviar and better booze.
AA 321T has 10 F seats.

IMO I would pay for the upgrade if you plan to take full advantage of FFD. While the J seat is still nice, the F allows for much more personal space and is a great product to fly transcon.
Old May 21, 22, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by brodielayne View Post
AA 321T has 10 F seats.

IMO I would pay for the upgrade if you plan to take full advantage of FFD. While the J seat is still nice, the F allows for much more personal space and is a great product to fly transcon.
Thanks. Decided to give it a try for a fun start to my first overseas vacation in 27 months! Will arrive to JFK early afternoon, and will bounce around some lounges and end up at the FFD.
ryanbriar and brodielayne like this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Ba tier points on AA
Just a quick data point that mine did credit to F for BA in terms of Avios and TPs. A nice surprise.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Search this Thread