Car seat in F on 789/787-900?

Old May 18, 2022, 7:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: AA PLT, CO GLD
Posts: 2
Car seat in F on 789/787-900?

Hi all, hoping someone can provide some guidance on this issue. I'm looking to fly on a 789 / 787-900 in F with my 7 year old who has special needs and has to use a car seat on the plane. AA's website says the 787-900 is not carseat-compatible in F, but I have had two different AA reps tell me that information is wrong and that it is in fact compatible. Just looking for some additional clarification, if possible, from anyone with some first-hand experience. Many thanks in advance.
jlaw is offline  
Old May 18, 2022, 11:08 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: (AA EXP)
Posts: 610
The problem is most likely the airbag installed in the forward facing premium cabin seats. Rear facing seats would likely be ok, but cant be guaranteed.

I know you didnt ask, but the premium economy seats will be compatible with a car seat and will allow you to sit next to your little one.
Antarius likes this.
MIAFlyer is offline  
Old May 19, 2022, 6:51 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 14,856
Airline phone reps are bad about giving misinformation. You need to go by what the website says on this, otherwise risk denied boarding on day of travel. If it's a route only covered by the 787 or 777, look at premium economy as suggested above.
wrp96 is offline  
Old May 19, 2022, 7:32 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
The problem is most likely the airbag installed in the forward facing premium cabin seats. Rear facing seats would likely be ok, but cant be guaranteed.

I know you didnt ask, but the premium economy seats will be compatible with a car seat and will allow you to sit next to your little one.
Airbag? Am i missing out on something?
Etheereal is offline  
Old May 19, 2022, 7:43 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: (AA EXP)
Posts: 610
Some/Most/All (depending on the specific plane) forward facing business class seats on wide body aircraft have a bulky airbag built in to the lap portion of the seatbelt.

These airbags are also installed on Some/Most/All row 1 first class seats on narrow body planes, and I think in the first row of Premium Economy as well as the first row in economy.
Antarius likes this.
MIAFlyer is offline  
Old May 19, 2022, 7:49 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,457
Originally Posted by Etheereal
Airbag? Am i missing out on something?
See the fat seatbelt in this example below.

sxpsxpsxp likes this.
Antarius is online now  
Old May 19, 2022, 8:28 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,223
I had no idea until now just why certain seat belts in J on AA were fat and always wondered why. Now I know. Thanks
enviroian is offline  
Old May 19, 2022, 11:05 am
  #8  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,728
Just curious as to what kind of car seat is approved for in flight use and fits a 7 year old?
seawolf is offline  
Old May 19, 2022, 12:38 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,457
Originally Posted by seawolf
Just curious as to what kind of car seat is approved for in flight use and fits a 7 year old?
Any sort of car seat is acceptable, albeit without the base usually; the seatbelt is run through the car seat to secure it. The FAA recommends young kids or kids under a certain weight and height to use them.

The OP also mentioned that their child has special needs, so it might be something slightly different than the standard ones.
Antarius is online now  
Old May 20, 2022, 7:35 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by Antarius
Any sort of car seat is acceptable, albeit without the base usually; the seatbelt is run through the car seat to secure it. The FAA recommends young kids or kids under a certain weight and height to use them.

The OP also mentioned that their child has special needs, so it might be something slightly different than the standard ones.
Will most likely be a reinforced one, without easy removal from the "inside".

Originally Posted by enviroian
I had no idea until now just why certain seat belts in J on AA were fat and always wondered why. Now I know. Thanks
Likewise, i had my fair share in J, and had no idea the big seatbelts had that name!! I thought Antarius was trolling lol
Antarius likes this.
Etheereal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.