Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Separate bookings, I got upgraded, want to sit together - What should I have done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Separate bookings, I got upgraded, want to sit together - What should I have done?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by bethyy
Constructive advice appreciated! …

BF’s flights … mine a few weeks after due to a change in plans.

Called AA to get our reservations linked up. …

Agent confirmed all of that …

fast forward to our departure
Excellent suggestions above regarding what to do upon boarding. If the “fast forward” time period was more than 1 day, there’s another suggestion which might have been helpful.

Commonly called “gardening” or “garden” (a reservation), check on it periodically to learn of any changes and/or problems and address those issues ASAP. For travel months ahead of time once or twice a month is sufficient, travel 2-3 weeks in the future once or twice a week, few days ahead of time every day. Certainly the day after purchase, the day after making any changes, and the day prior. Directly from the airline operating the flight, not the codeshare airline or OTA or Chase/AmEx travel. Gardening is more important for more significant flights, a JFK-HKG (once a day flight) reservation should be gardened more carefully than an LGA-ORD (hourly flights) reservation.

(Might require some work to find the operating airlines PNR/confirmation code but well worth it. For example, reservation months from now using Delta DL miles for travel on Virgin Atlantic VS. DL PNR readily available on DL website and DL confirmation email. Called DL to learn VS code, told we don’t have it. Called VS with date and flight #, voilà: VS PNR obtained which enables gardening the reservation on the VS website.)
seattlebruce likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As a side note, I notice from the original post that the passenger with status was in 5A and the non-status companion was in 5B. Never do this. If you are in a situation where there's a chance that one of you gets upgraded and one doesn't, always put the higher-status passenger in the worse seat (5B, a middle, in this case) and the lower status passenger in the better seat. That way if the higher-status passenger gets upgraded, the lower-status passenger is left with the better seat. Of course if neither of you gets upgraded you can switch if it's preferable.
Very good point. I put my gf in the window and I'm in the middle. If we split then I get upgraded and we still have the window seat. Then I can hand over the upgrade to her or take it, depending on situation.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
This just made a lightbulb go off for me. I just made a reservation for me (no status) and Gold husband. I got this unsolicited e-mail about upgrades (he's got a pile of unused 500 mile "stickers") - does this mean we are safe sitting together in Y, or is there still the possiblity that he might be upgraded and me not? I never clicked anything that would have requested an upgrade for him.

We’re unable to automatically request 500-mile upgrades because you’re traveling with someone not eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Yes, this happened to my wife and I coming out of tokyo headed to ORD. I am Platinum, she has not status.
Despite asking that we only be upgraded or not upgraded together, I got upgraded to J and she was left in economy.

Lesson: Undo upgrades if you are not prepared for that to happen.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Yes, this happened to my wife and I coming out of tokyo headed to ORD. I am Platinum, she has not status.
Despite asking that we only be upgraded or not upgraded together, I got upgraded to J and she was left in economy.

Lesson: Undo upgrades if you are not prepared for that to happen.
And you're still married?? I actually do owe him one since one of us got upgraded on the way home from Hawaii once and he gave it to me.

I really don't think he has much of a chance anyway, only being Gold. And I wouldn't even know what to "undo".
Old May 18, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Actually I think the relevant response is to realize that as non-EXP, the companion can't be upgraded on an award ticket (first answer!). So when calling to "link" the reservations and get MCE seats, also ask for your upgrade be un-requested. An upgrade can only be a hassle in this case (where sitting together is preferable to the upgrade).

As a side note, I notice from the original post that the passenger with status was in 5A and the non-status companion was in 5B. Never do this. If you are in a situation where there's a chance that one of you gets upgraded and one doesn't, always put the higher-status passenger in the worse seat (5B, a middle, in this case) and the lower status passenger in the better seat. That way if the higher-status passenger gets upgraded, the lower-status passenger is left with the better seat. Of course if neither of you gets upgraded you can switch if it's preferable.
The OP's principal issue was not the non-upgrade for her companion. Rather, it was the difficulty of sitting together in Y after un-upgrading.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K

Curious though what you would’ve thought if it was the same situation but I had my boyfriend take the first class seat vs the person next to him?
Like bf is 5A, I’m 5B. Then I board and realize I’m now 4A. I totally understand what you said about being annoyed by how I handled it by basically giving the new 5B passenger my 4A seat that she didn’t pay for or get upgraded to when it should’ve gone to the next person in line on the upgrade list. But what if I had instead just given 4A to my boyfriend and I sat in his 5A seat? He’s only gold so didn’t earn that seat either.
I view giving an upgrade to a “known person” (e.g., spouse, travel companion) different from giving it to a stranger. That said, I know everyone has differing views on this so folks should do what they’re comfortable with doing.

Originally Posted by Antarius
Very good point. I put my gf in the window and I'm in the middle. If we split then I get upgraded and we still have the window seat. Then I can hand over the upgrade to her or take it, depending on situation.
This is exactly my strategy, and also having game plan for what happens if a gate upgrade goes through.
Old May 19, 2022, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
If you bf has staus, he is not going to get your upgrade status.
He could get your status for the upgrade if his FC number is not in the booking, but than you would have to have "stickers" in your acct for his upgrade.
Old May 19, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
true. That’s what I did for the first leg of that flight. That lady had no problem moving up a row and enjoying a full meal and free drinks hahah..
So it's not a material problem.
For the rare case where you score an unpaid upgrade, you can always trade your seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.