Traveling with No Status spouse

Old May 17, 2022, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Traveling with No Status spouse

I am Platinum Pro and I think my husband is Gold (or less). We flew RT from ORD to CHS this past week and on both trips, I was upgraded but my husband was not. Am I imagining it, or in the "old days" weren't people traveling on the same record upgraded together? Clearly, this is not the case anymore so now our problem is that we want to sit together but when I'm upgraded automatically in advance, it is very difficult to undo it. Has anyone had any luck reversing the upgrade when you want to travel with your companion? I was unable to do it on the trip there but had two very nice agents at CHS who figured out how to move me back to coach (including moving a person out of original seat). There has to be an easier way? Thanks.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You are upgraded for free, but you need to request upgrades for your companion as they need stickers.
mnhusker likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lbpontel
I am Platinum Pro and I think my husband is Gold (or less). We flew RT from ORD to CHS this past week and on both trips, I was upgraded but my husband was not. Am I imagining it, or in the "old days" weren't people traveling on the same record upgraded together? Clearly, this is not the case anymore so now our problem is that we want to sit together but when I'm upgraded automatically in advance, it is very difficult to undo it. Has anyone had any luck reversing the upgrade when you want to travel with your companion? I was unable to do it on the trip there but had two very nice agents at CHS who figured out how to move me back to coach (including moving a person out of original seat). There has to be an easier way? Thanks.
Given what you're saying I'm guessing your husband does have Gold status (see below); Did you look at the upgrade waitlist to see if he was right behind you or further down?

If you are PLT Pro and your husband is Gold, then even booking on the same PNR when the upgrade waitlist goes to the airport you will be separated according to status. If you want him to leverage your status so you remain together on the waitlist you need to call AA beforehand or talk to an agent at the airport.

But if you are PLT Pro and your husband has no status, then you should remain together on the upgrade list and only clear if 2 seats are available (assuming you're on the same PNR and don't get an agent to update your record such that 'separate is ok').

And all of the above assumes you actually did request the upgrade for your husband as Antarius mentioned above.
ijgordon and Antarius like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:29 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
. If you want him to leverage your status so you remain together on the waitlist you need to call AA beforehand or talk to an agent at the airport.

I always have to do this at the airport first thing.

Am I able to call AA to have them fix this prior to arriving at the airport?
Old May 17, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
No.
weero likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by 355F1
I always have to do this at the airport first thing.

Don't add his AAdvantage number when booking. Just add it after the flight to claim credit.
Cheynewalk likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Don't add his AAdvantage number when booking. Just add it after the flight to claim credit.
then the PPRO pax has to use upgrades for the non-status companion, which probably will need to be purchased? How would that work? (at least now that the stickers are still required)
I guess you can't have it all?
Old May 17, 2022, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

We were on the same record and I called ahead of time and talked to multiple people at the airport and they said that we each had to go in order of our status. Someone below mentioned taking his FF number off his account -- would this give him my status for upgrade purposes?
Old May 17, 2022, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lbpontel
We were on the same record and I called ahead of time and talked to multiple people at the airport and they said that we each had to go in order of our status. Someone below mentioned taking his FF number off his account -- would this give him my status for upgrade purposes?
If you remove his status, he will inherit your status. HOWEVER, your companions upgrade won't be free and you will need to use stickers for it.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

That’s very helpful! All of the upgrades are in my account anyway. Aren’t the upgrade coupons going away though?
Old May 17, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
I have noticed AA support is very poor when it comes to companion upgrades. I am a PLT and my girlfriend is a Gold, and I have called many times to allow her to inherit my status. However, this is often in vain as when the waitlist is released, she is way at the bottom and I need to request to have her inherit my status at the airport.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
I have noticed AA support is very poor when it comes to companion upgrades. I am a PLT and my girlfriend is a Gold, and I have called many times to allow her to inherit my status. However, this is often in vain as when the waitlist is released, she is way at the bottom and I need to request to have her inherit my status at the airport.
It's AA IT more than anything. The system is strung together with prayers, chewing gum and carrier pigeons; It simply just can't handle it.
ijgordon, njvandy, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: AA PPro
Same thing has happened with my traveling with my daughter who is gold. The second flyer holding status is the issue. No status, no problem, uses yours. The suggestion to claim the Aadvantage number after the flight or put it back at the gate after the upgrade clears is the best one as far as I can tell.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
What self-respecting elite has a non-status spouse? Personally, I would just dump and replace the spouse.
ijgordon, weero, IggySD and 7 others like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:17 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Tangental question.

If my no-status spouse needs to travel somewhere solo, can i book us both, thus allowing her to pick MCE seat, then cancel MYSELF ONLY leaving her to fly alone in a free MCE seat?
Lets assume i have a Trip Credit i will be using for this situation. Can i get my portion of the trip credited back as trip credit?

Any simpler way to "bestow" free MCE to spouse on solo trips?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.