Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Dropped All Segments After First Flown, HDQ in PNR

AA Dropped All Segments After First Flown, HDQ in PNR

Old May 16, 22, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Can folks please help me with:
1.) Will GOL reliably pay out for reasonable expenses for the 2 day delay?
2.) Can GOL get the bags on another airline? Or is there a number to contact AA to file a bag claim? I would prefer AA review the bag claim because we were ticketed with them and were in J/F on them.
Standard practice is the final airline in the itinerary is who you deal with for delayed/missing baggage, so AA won't touch it and will refer you to GOL. There's no real reason for them to not pay out reasonable expenses.

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
I don't think it is possible to cancel a reservation on aa.com, if it is already partially flown.
FWIW, my parents were scheduled to fly their return segment DCA-Florida today but it was canceled due to weather and they were auto-rebooked at 6am tomorrow on a connection, which they didn't want. Multi-hour wait to speak to an agent, no capabilities to change online, so they ended up making a new booking for an alternative flight. It took a couple of tries due to the system being overwhelmed, but reportedly they were able to cancel the rebooked reservation and put in the request for the refund. Not sure if the fact that this was a return segment after the outbound was fully flown made it possible, as opposed to OP's situation mid-trip.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 17, 22, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Im inflight right now and this is happening to me! Flying PDX-LAX-LHR-ZRH. Im on PDX-LAX now, I refresh my app and my name is gone but my companion is still there. All efforts to locate my trip come up with errors. I cant get ahold of AA until Im on the ground. If someone would have nefariously canceled it, wouldnt I still get an email? Will update as I learn more.
Old May 17, 22, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
Im inflight right now and this is happening to me! Flying PDX-LAX-LHR-ZRH. Im on PDX-LAX now, I refresh my app and my name is gone but my companion is still there. All efforts to locate my trip come up with errors. I cant get ahold of AA until Im on the ground. If someone would have nefariously canceled it, wouldnt I still get an email? Will update as I learn more.
Wow. Although I have no advice other than tweeting AA while in the air private messages the thought of being in the air seeing my itinerary go poof is terrifying.

Sorry to hear.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old May 17, 22, 10:15 am

These stories are horrifying. My sympathies to all impacted.

Hopefully AA regroups and gets their act together on whatever's happening. But it sounds like broken IT controls coupled with no margins for reserves. Not sure how fixable it is.

Doesn't bode well for summer, if it's already like this. The thought of another summer of road trips or safer (or at least more easily fixed) domestic travel is deflating.
Old May 17, 22, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Update: total rookie mistake on my part. I got the upgrade on PDX-LAX and my companion didnt. That caused me to get a new confirmation code. Im an AS elite and this is the first time Ive had this happen with AA. Sorry for the scare!
enviroian, AAway, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old May 17, 22, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Standard practice is the final airline in the itinerary is who you deal with for delayed/missing baggage, so AA won't touch it and will refer you to GOL. There's no real reason for them to not pay out reasonable expenses.
Does anyone know how to contact GOL regarding a delayed baggage claim, short of submitting a DOT complaint? I cant find any online claim form for them, and they only gave me paper forms at the airport (I did have the hotel call the baggage manager this morning when I found out the bags were still in MIA last night despite her saying they were in GRU per world tracer! And now because the outbound travel is concluded, AA.com says my PNR no longer has bags associated and the bag tags also return an error when searching).

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
These stories are horrifying. My sympathies to all impacted.

Hopefully AA regroups and gets their act together on whatever's happening. But it sounds like broken IT controls coupled with no margins for reserves. Not sure how fixable it is.

Doesn't bode well for summer, if it's already like this. The thought of another summer of road trips or safer (or at least more easily fixed) domestic travel is deflating.
Completely agree. The lack of any slack in the system combined with bare staffing levels just made rebooking a complete roulette game.

also, I read VFTW saying that Flagship customers can be rebooked on any airline when such a delay happens (I think even non-flagship got OAL for a 24 hour delay like we had)

Problem is there was no other way to get lie flat to South America short of connecting in Europe LOL
Old May 17, 22, 8:12 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Does anyone know how to contact GOL regarding a delayed baggage claim, short of submitting a DOT complaint? I cant find any online claim form for them, and they only gave me paper forms at the airport (I did have the hotel call the baggage manager this morning when I found out the bags were still in MIA last night despite her saying they were in GRU per world tracer! And now because the outbound travel is concluded, AA.com says my PNR no longer has bags associated and the bag tags also return an error when searching).

Completely agree. The lack of any slack in the system combined with bare staffing levels just made rebooking a complete roulette game.

also, I read VFTW saying that Flagship customers can be rebooked on any airline when such a delay happens (I think even non-flagship got OAL for a 24 hour delay like we had)

Problem is there was no other way to get lie flat to South America short of connecting in Europe LOL
this is good to know, if Im ever lucky enough for Flagship and unlucky to have a delay and flight issue like this.

that being said lie flat to SA via Europe sounds divine.
Old May 18, 22, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, Bonvoy Plat Life, Amtrak S+, HH, DL, B6, MR
I did end up with a bag hiccup - AA got the bags on the new MIA-GRU. They misconnected in GRU - despite both the AA agent in GRU running the tag numbers and saying they made it, and the GOL Supervisor trying to find us seats doing the same. Incredibly disappointing that both of those folks were wrong, because I made clear to them I wouldnt board GRU-VVI without luggage.
It boggles my mind that in 2022 this still happens. DL seems to have the technology in place that scans bags as they're loaded on the plane because I've gotten the alert in the DL app telling me when my bag gets loaded on board. They can also tell me when my bag has deplaned and when it's arriving at the baggage claim carousel. Is it really that hard for other airlines to implement something like t his? Is it really cheaper for them to deal with paying out delayed luggage claims and delivery fees and to deal with annoyed customers?
Old May 18, 22, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp View Post
It boggles my mind that in 2022 this still happens. DL seems to have the technology in place that scans bags as they're loaded on the plane because I've gotten the alert in the DL app telling me when my bag gets loaded on board. They can also tell me when my bag has deplaned and when it's arriving at the baggage claim carousel. Is it really that hard for other airlines to implement something like t his? Is it really cheaper for them to deal with paying out delayed luggage claims and delivery fees and to deal with annoyed customers?
AA has this too -- and has for several years.
Old May 18, 22, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
AA has this too -- and has for several years.
I don't recall seeing notifications on my phone about where my bag is. If GOL had this, perhaps the OP would've been in a better situation with their luggage.
Old May 18, 22, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp View Post
I don't recall seeing notifications on my phone about where my bag is. If GOL had this, perhaps the OP would've been in a better situation with their luggage.
You can see it in the AA app. It doesn't "push" a text message, but you can easily check to see all the scans on your bag tag.
Old May 18, 22, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
You can see it in the AA app. It doesn't "push" a text message, but you can easily check to see all the scans on your bag tag.
I'll have to explore that the next time I check a bag. Thanks.

Search this Thread