Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AA wide body service returning to SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA wide body service returning to SFO?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: Costco Club
AA has that experiment with International Widebody Service from SEA (which doesn’t have an AC), I think they’ll try it for maybe one more season when things get back to normal again and they maybe shift SFO stuff to SEA?
Old May 20, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sdix
It was not LGW. I’m have trouble remembering if it was a London or a Paris flight. All my travel then was NRT and TPE. Still remember using the stairs everytime to deplane at the Customs shack down by end of the runway.
I speculated on LGW as I didn't think LHR was doable with Bermuda II.

But don't have any first hand memory, this all shut down while I was still young.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Agree. AA has decided that they can’t compete against the 800 lb gorilla in SFO (UA), so their focus is on SFO being a destination for customers rather than a point of origin. Was most noticeable during the pandemic when the JFK service was timed primarily to serve NYC based, rather than SFO based customers. SFOORD is now, and for the foreseeable future, just 2 daytime flights.
Can you elaborate on how the timing of a flight can favor those using it as an outbound versus an inbound? I would think it is fairly symmetric as pax want to maximize work days on both ends, etc., regardless of which side is home and which is destination.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
SFO TO

Originally Posted by lonelygod
Pre-COVID, I remembered there were some 787s SFO-DFW, and 330s between SFO-PHL… correct me if I am wrong!
Old May 20, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flew A330 SFO to PHL in 2018

A little detour for lie flat comfort on a systemwide upgrade.. was fun..

Took a little extra time to get to Cancun..
Old May 20, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdix
It was not LGW. I’m have trouble remembering if it was a London or a Paris flight. All my travel then was NRT and TPE. Still remember using the stairs everytime to deplane at the Customs shack down by end of the runway.
according to the San Jose Airport Wikipedia page AA served Taipei, Tokyo and Paris in 2001.

The San Francisco Airport Wikipedia page mentions 707 service from SFO to JFK in 1960.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by olouie
Worse yet is that they decided to reduce lax focus.
Agree with this. Timing to connect to/from LAX-LHR is particularly annoying.
olouie likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by TritonFlyer
A little detour for lie flat comfort on a systemwide upgrade.. was fun..

Took a little extra time to get to Cancun..
I flew this a couple of times as well when originating in Boston versus JFK.

AA also flew the 763 (and maybe the 762) from JFK before the 321Ts joined the fleet. I remember clearing into J a couple of times as a lowly GLD!
Old May 24, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I flew this a couple of times as well when originating in Boston versus JFK.

AA also flew the 763 (and maybe the 762) from JFK before the 321Ts joined the fleet. I remember clearing into J a couple of times as a lowly GLD!
The 762's were on the transcons from JFK. My nifty trick when I was a AA Gold was to fly out on Saturday morning. A lot less competition from high end elites meant easy upgrades to 762 J. I loved it.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wish AA still flew 767, 757 and mad dogs.
I flew on a DL A220 recently and it reminded me of the mad dogs. Apparently, the A220's have nearly transcon range and would fit AA's route system well, since they could fly to most if not all of the domestic hubs. AA could use some A220's when it is time to retire the A319/230's. The A220-300 is almost as big as the mad dogs.
nnn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.