Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AA wide body service returning to SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA wide body service returning to SFO?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
All this talk of widebodies makes me sad that Boeing decided not to make the 787-3 as that would have been the perfect premium widebody for the transcons. Sadly, we must make do with the skinny sausage that is the A321T.
Zacnlinc and S80 like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
All this talk of widebodies makes me sad that Boeing decided not to make the 787-3 as that would have been the perfect premium widebody for the transcons. Sadly, we must make do with the skinny sausage that is the A321T.
I'm not convinced that the 787-3 was going to be successful. Way too heavy for a regional people hauler as it's got the wingbox and build of a aircraft with a much higher MTOW.
​​​​
Shrinks rarely are successful. Other than the a332, a319 there's a long list -a342, 736, a318, a380 (it was designed with a stretch in mind, so it had woefully over engineered wingbox), 747SP, a338, a358 etc. of failures.

A 767neo on the other hand, that would have been a whole different story.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm not convinced that the 787-3 was going to be successful. Way too heavy for a regional people hauler as it's got the wingbox and build of a aircraft with a much higher MTOW.
​​​​
Shrinks rarely are successful. Other than the a332, a319 there's a long list -a342, 736, a318, a380 (it was designed with a stretch in mind, so it had woefully over engineered wingbox), 747SP, a338, a358 etc. of failures.

A 767neo on the other hand, that would have been a whole different story.
A 767neo with GeNX engines would have been a rocket.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder why AA won't/wouldn't [fly SJC-LHR].
It seems unprecedented for AA to have international service from an airport that not only isn't a hub, but doesn't even have an AC. Most flights rely on both O&D and connecting traffic, and AA would have very little of the latter at SJC. They would have to make SJC a focus city for this to be realistic.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
It seems unprecedented for AA to have international service from an airport that not only isn't a hub, but doesn't even have an AC. Most flights rely on both O&D and connecting traffic, and AA would have very little of the latter at SJC. They would have to make SJC a focus city for this to be realistic.
Considering SJC is only 35 miles away from SFO, that doesn't seem like a good idea when you can access both Silicon Valley AND San Francisco from SFO. No one is flying into SJC to then go see the Embarcadero.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
If my mind isn't failing me much, SJC was once a little hub (and perhaps had an AC), and I don't recall if AA also had an SFO/LHR flight for a short time (but it could have been UA using an AA domestic gate for an LHR flight.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If my mind isn't failing me much, SJC was once a little hub (and perhaps had an AC), and I don't recall if AA also had an SFO/LHR flight for a short time (but it could have been UA using an AA domestic gate for an LHR flight.
SJC was a hub and they served NRT as well as JFK, BOS etc. I can't remember if they ever operated London - it would have been LGW if they did.
Markie likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Eastbay1K , Antarius , El_Chiflero

Once BART connects to SJC, I bet a lot more traffic will be willing to consider it as an option.

I know for sure when I was recently in a jam on AA and my options were to arrive at SJC past midnight or wait until early next morning arrival at SFO, I would have taken the option of going to SJC if it were connected to BART. Instead, I opted to take the hotel stay in DFW for the night then deal with BART to get me to home (SFO) then work in EB (Oakland). Sucks that OAK is no longer an option for AA flights.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:09 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

AA shot themselves in the foot when they went aggressive in retiring (rather than storing) a large chunk of their long haul fleet during the pandemic. DL/UA are certainly enjoying less competition this summer in certain markets.

Hopefully once Boeing gets their act together on the 787s AA will, at least, resume 1x daily widebody service between PHL/DFW-SFO that is timed for the TATL/SA connections otherwise they will be woefully uncompetitive against UA and DL for international connections.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:19 am

Sfo doesn’t get much AA love outside of the premium transcon to nyc and admirals club. Worse yet is that they decided to reduce lax focus. I really don’t want fo fly go dallas before flying to Asia, australia etc.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by olouie
Sfo doesn’t get much AA love outside of the premium transcon to nyc and admirals club. Worse yet is that they decided to reduce lax focus. I really don’t want fo fly go dallas before flying to Asia, australia etc.
Agree. AA has decided that they can’t compete against the 800 lb gorilla in SFO (UA), so their focus is on SFO being a destination for customers rather than a point of origin. Was most noticeable during the pandemic when the JFK service was timed primarily to serve NYC based, rather than SFO based customers. SFOORD is now, and for the foreseeable future, just 2 daytime flights.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by golfingboy
AA shot themselves in the foot when they went aggressive in retiring (rather than storing) a large chunk of their long haul fleet during the pandemic. DL/UA are certainly enjoying less competition this summer in certain markets.
If AA had kept the planes ready to fly, would they have the crew today to fly and staff them?
Old May 20, 2022, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K;[url=tel:34264907
34264907[/url]]If my mind isn't failing me much, SJC was once a little hub (and perhaps had an AC), and I don't recall if AA also had an SFO/LHR flight for a short time (but it could have been UA using an AA domestic gate for an LHR flight.
During the dot com boom years SJC was a great alternative to SFO. There was an AC (now a Club @ SJC) with at least 3 International destinations. Many many domestic destinations including the infamous “nerd bird” to and from Austin.

On the Monday flight to Austin the crew was nearly always the same as were the pax. Same for the Friday return.

Those were the days!
nnn likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Antarius;[url=tel:34264968
34264968[/url]]SJC was a hub and they served NRT as well as JFK, BOS etc. I can't remember if they ever operated London - it would have been LGW if they did.
It was not LGW. I’m have trouble remembering if it was a London or a Paris flight. All my travel then was NRT and TPE. Still remember using the stairs everytime to deplane at the Customs shack down by end of the runway.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Antarius;[url=tel:34264968
34264968]SJC was a hub and they served NRT as well as JFK, BOS etc. I can't remember if they ever operated London - it would have been LGW if they did.
It was not LGW. I’m have trouble remembering if it was a London or a Paris flight. All my travel then was NRT and TPE. Still remember using the stairs everytime to deplane at the Customs shack down by end of the runway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.