Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AA wide body service returning to SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA wide body service returning to SFO?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Antarius
SFO-LAX-MIA-xxx is an option. I have done this a few times
Have done that routing too, although made sure LAX-MIA was on a widebody. Also SFO-JFK-xxx, although SA options from JFK are usually more limited.

And LAX = eww.
Wouldn't be nearly as bad if we didn't have to deal with the Eagle's Nest on the flights to/from SFO.
drjeffrock and Antarius like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wish AA still flew 767, 757 and mad dogs.

The 767s were not very comfortable for long haul international, but I do wish they could have been used on some on the domestic routes where the capacity is there. Two aisles and 2-3-2 across makes for decently easy boarding.

Oh well. "fleet simplification" was what they wanted.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkOK
The 767s were not very comfortable for long haul international, but I do wish they could have been used on some on the domestic routes where the capacity is there. Two aisles and 2-3-2 across makes for decently easy boarding.

Oh well. "fleet simplification" was what they wanted.
The 767s also were about as reliable as the E145 tray tables were level. Horrible dispatch reliability, I actively avoided them.
jcatman and MarkOK like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by PHL
Aside from the pandemic era widebody frenzy on domestic routes, when has SFO last seen regularly scheduled widebody service by AA or US?

And pretty much every year in the 20 preceding that one.

Pre-pandemic, there was at least one widebody frequency flying DFW-SFO more often than there wasn't one. Also occasional widebodies on ORD-SFO and MIA-SFO.

Not sure if AA has now vacated the Superbay hangar NW of the intersection of 1L/19R and 10L/28R but for many years the Superbay was a key maintenance facility for AA widebodies so AA had to get widebodies to SFO for the scheduled maintenance events performed in the Superbay.

Last edited by Herb687; May 16, 2022 at 10:40 am Reason: Superbay
Old May 16, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687

And pretty much every year in the 20 preceding that one.

Pre-pandemic, there was at least one widebody frequency flying DFW-SFO more often than there wasn't one. Also occasional widebodies on ORD-SFO and MIA-SFO.

Not sure if AA has now vacated the Superbay hangar NW of the intersection of 1L/19R and 10L/28R but for many years the Superbay was a key maintenance facility for AA widebodies so AA had to get widebodies to SFO for the scheduled maintenance events performed in the Superbay.
pretty sure AA still uses it, albeit for narrowbodies now. 787 is done at Tulsa and the 777s were at DFW with C and D checks at HAECO. Although my memory could very well be fuzzy.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I don't think T1 is finished yet - the connection to T2 and the smoother exit route that comes with it are still seriously lacking.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Markie
I don't think T1 is finished yet - the connection to T2 and the smoother exit route that comes with it are still seriously lacking.
Since you don't think , I'll confirm that there remains a gaping gap (redundant?) between the B and D piers landside.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SFO-LAX-MIA-xxx is an option. I have done this a few times (also to/from SJC where my parents live). But yes, it does add yet another connection. And LAX = eww.
Not eager for another connection on those long trips if I can help it - especially when the short hauls are the first to go if someone sneezes outside near an SFO runway.

My next trip is via JFK on the outbound, and via DFW on the return. One issue that I've found is getting "I" inventory on the domestic segments can be quite challenging on the DFW segments, and kills the fare. Many times over, I've seen only clase basura availability on the domestic leg if I want the "I" on the international leg. Some wide body front cabin capacity would help - and it might actually help AA, because it (lack of "I" space") can cause me to fly another carrier.
SCChris and Antarius like this.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; May 16, 2022 at 3:24 pm
Old May 18, 2022, 11:08 am

Remember we also had 777's running SJC to TPE, NRT and Europe
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sdix
Remember we also had 777's running SJC to TPE, NRT and Europe
I would think there would be a huge demand to LHR from SJC still.
Old May 18, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
I would think there would be a huge demand to LHR from SJC still.
I believe BA is resuming that service next month
Old May 18, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by njvandy

I wonder why AA won't/wouldn't.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by njvandy
Yep, I'm booked outbound on June 25th. 3 class aircraft (was 2 class but they changed it last week)

This is one of the best hidden gems if you live in the South Bay. 5 minutes from parking to gate with Clear and TSA pre. Decent lounge and easy arrival back.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdix
Yep, I'm booked outbound on June 25th. 3 class aircraft (was 2 class but they changed it last week)

This is one of the best hidden gems if you live in the South Bay. 5 minutes from parking to gate with Clear and TSA pre. Decent lounge and easy arrival back.
And it's an airport that doesn't completely collapse operationally as soon as a cloud appears.

Parents live in South Bay, so always try to fly there. Even when I was half living in SF, I'd try SJC or OAK first.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The lack of nice planes on MIA/SFO is reason one why I don't want to transit MIA on a South America itinerary. Not keen on sitting in an uncomfortable domestic 2 cabin F seat for 6+ hours after barely getting a snooze on an 8 hour overnight flight.
EZE-MIA-LAX-SFO isn't so bad....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.