Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points Calculation App Now Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loyalty Points Calculation App Now Available

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by MarkOK
That makes sense. I was confused too by why this matters when AA tells you when you book exactly how many LPs you are getting!
This is not always true. I recently booked a trip: Outbound PHX to LHR to OSL / Return LHR to PHX. The LPs are not shown on the booking confirmation.

Complications:
  • The outbound leg is in February (i.e., it counts toward this year's LPs) and the inbound is in March.
  • The outbound leg to LHR is AA, and it's a BA codeshare for the LHR to OSL leg. The return is all AA.
  • The confirmation does not show a split between the outbound base fare and the return base fare.
  • It's an Economy booking (I used SWUs to upgrade) and the base fare for the whole trip is less than $500.
  • The taxes and fees are about 25% more than the base fare.
  • There's no breakdown between taxes and fees, nor does it tell me how much the carrier-imposed fees are.
  • When I called the Exec Plat line, they told me that (a) even the "Rate Desk" could not calculate the split between the outbound and inbound fares, and (b) for this booking, my LPs would be approx 5200 for the two outbound legs, and just under 6000 for the single return leg.
    • The LPs would be air-mile based not fare-based. (Outbound miles = 6022 / Inbound miles = 5271)
    • The total doesn't count the LPs I'll get for the AA credit card spend.
    • Note: the 11,000+ round trip sum is approximately 22 times the base fare for the round trip (and 10x the total miles)
So how can I figure out:
  1. As an Exec Plat, how many LPs will I really get for the Feb 2023 outbound legs?
  2. How can I determine the split between carrier-imposed fees and other fees (if this matters)?
  3. Does the LP calculation change to mileage based when there is a code-share involved?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
This is not always true. I recently booked a trip: Outbound PHX to LHR to OSL / Return LHR to PHX. The LPs are not shown on the booking confirmation.

Complications:
  • The outbound leg is in February (i.e., it counts toward this year's LPs) and the inbound is in March.
  • The outbound leg to LHR is AA, and it's a BA codeshare for the LHR to OSL leg. The return is all AA.
  • The confirmation does not show a split between the outbound base fare and the return base fare.
  • It's an Economy booking (I used SWUs to upgrade) and the base fare for the whole trip is less than $500.
  • The taxes and fees are about 25% more than the base fare.
  • There's no breakdown between taxes and fees, nor does it tell me how much the carrier-imposed fees are.
  • When I called the Exec Plat line, they told me that (a) even the "Rate Desk" could not calculate the split between the outbound and inbound fares, and (b) for this booking, my LPs would be approx 5200 for the two outbound legs, and just under 6000 for the single return leg.
    • The LPs would be air-mile based not fare-based. (Outbound miles = 6022 / Inbound miles = 5271)
    • The total doesn't count the LPs I'll get for the AA credit card spend.
    • Note: the 11,000+ round trip sum is approximately 22 times the base fare for the round trip (and 10x the total miles)
So how can I figure out:
  1. As an Exec Plat, how many LPs will I really get for the Feb 2023 outbound legs?
  2. How can I determine the split between carrier-imposed fees and other fees (if this matters)?
  3. Does the LP calculation change to mileage based when there is a code-share involved?
Everything posts according to the marketing carrier. So if they are BA flight numbers they will post as distance-based according to the BA chart. Don't forget to add your 120% elite bonus; that's not mentioned on the chart.

If they are AA flight numbers and they can figure out how much fare to allocate to those segments they will post by fare. If they can't they will post by distance according to the chart on the special fares page. Again, if posting by distance don't forget your 120% elite bonus.

Credit card spend is completely irrelevant; this is about miles earned from flying. Your LP from credit card spend will post when your statement closes; AA spend is no different from any other CC spend.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
... If they are AA flight numbers and they can figure out how much fare to allocate to those segments they will post by fare. If they can't they will post by distance according to the chart on the special fares page. Again, if posting by distance don't forget your 120% elite bonus.
Thank you so much VegasG, this is very helpful ... (1) I've looked for but not been able to find the special fares page ... can you provide the URL? (2) All flights are on one booking with AA and with AA flight numbers (the one BA flight is booked with AA as AA 6406, which is BA 768).
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If they are AA flight numbers and they can figure out how much fare to allocate to those segments they will post by fare. If they can't they will post by distance according to the chart on the special fares page. Again, if posting by distance don't forget your 120% elite bonus.
Is this the URL for Special Fares?Does this mean, for example, if I have a booking with AA where the fare details are unavailable and the booking is for a 1,000 mile trip booked as a Y, H, K, M, L, V fare, I would get 1,000 LPs for the distance and -- since I'm Exec Plat -- another 1,200 PLs as an elite bonus?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
Is this the URL for Special Fares?Does this mean, for example, if I have a booking with AA where the fare details are unavailable and the booking is for a 1,000 mile trip booked as a Y, H, K, M, L, V fare, I would get 1,000 LPs for the distance and -- since I'm Exec Plat -- another 1,200 PLs as an elite bonus?
Yes and yes. You would earn 2200 RDM and 2200 LP.

For other fares, remember that the elite bonus is applied only to the base. A fare with a base of 50% would earn 110% including the EXP bonus (the bonus is 120% of 50% = 60%), and a fare which earns 100% base + 50% cabin bonus earns 270% total (the 120% applies only to the base, not the cabin bonus)
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:29 am

I have to admit, I am so confused about LP's.
I am looking at a Business Class flight, USA to Asia - flying JL - 20,000 miles roundtrip
I can book on JL or AA - without fees/taxes - $3600
I am EXP

Should I book on JL or AA to max LPs?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Global321
I have to admit, I am so confused about LP's.
I am looking at a Business Class flight, USA to Asia - flying JL - 20,000 miles roundtrip
I can book on JL or AA - without fees/taxes - $3600
I am EXP

Should I book on JL or AA to max LPs?
Ummm... have you actually attempted to use the very calculator that this entire thread is discussing? Or are you just asking someone else to do it for you?

Regards
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... have you actually attempted to use the very calculator that this entire thread is discussing? Or are you just asking someone else to do it for you?

Regards
Yes I have. Where it is not clear is when you enter JL or AA... is that calculating where you book it or the airline you fly.

Do you know? Help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global321
Yes I have. Where it is not clear is when you enter JL or AA... is that calculating where you book it or the airline you fly.

Do you know? Help would be appreciated.
It's neither. Marketing carrier is all that matters.

Use the charts; they are A LOT simpler and don't contain misinformation.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Aer Lingus

Has anyone received AA LP’s for flights on Aer Lingus?
i see the airline listed as AA partner but it does not show on the LP calculator (i think).
Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zip10001
Has anyone received AA LP’s for flights on Aer Lingus?
i see the airline listed as AA partner but it does not show on the LP calculator (i think).
This page shows the eligible fare codes for earning AAdvantage miles and Loyalty Points on Aer Lingus-coded flights:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...aer-lingus.jsp
zip10001 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:24 pm

You do realize that not everyone books via .com

Originally Posted by MarkOK
That makes sense. I was confused too by why this matters when AA tells you when you book exactly how many LPs you are getting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.