Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Should Hold Preferred First/Business Seats for Paid F/J & CK

AA Should Hold Preferred First/Business Seats for Paid F/J & CK

Old May 11, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It seems absolutely absurd to me that people (including the OP) are complaining about having to sit next to someone on short-haul F. Heaven forbid you get up-gauged to mainline and have to suffer the indignity of a hot meal and full-size overheads on both sides ALONG WITH a seat mate.
When traveling alone, seats on the 1 seat side of a 1-2 configuration aircraft are preferable to seats on the 2 seat side. This should be pretty obvious. Maybe a few solo travelers don't care. Personally, I doubt that any solo traveler would choose a non-A seat on an E75/CR7/CR9 if an A seat was available.

How many solo passengers opted for middle seats in Y on MD-80s when port side aisles or windows were available? Same concept.

Doesn't B6 price its solo seats in Mint higher than the 2-2 seats in Mint?

OP wasn't complaining about sitting next to someone. OP was simply suggesting that AA's highest value customers should be given first crack at not sitting next to someone if that's the seat they'd prefer. And I find that pretty hard to disagree with.
Microwave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
As with luxury watches no one will ever notice you’re wearing ; 99% of people don’t care what seat assignment they have in First or Business class.
Glorious........I finally made the 1%!
Old May 12, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
When traveling alone, seats on the 1 seat side of a 1-2 configuration aircraft are preferable to seats on the 2 seat side. This should be pretty obvious. Maybe a few solo travelers don't care. Personally, I doubt that any solo traveler would choose a non-A seat on an E75/CR7/CR9 if an A seat was available.
Then you would be wrong. I don't like bulkhead seating. If 1A was the only seat available, I would choose a different seat on the 2-seat side. I also prefer a window seat that is situated such that the window isn't at or behind my shoulder. Of course, when I am flying up front on a complimentary upgrade, I am happy to sit anywhere in the cabin.

I also think there is confusion between free and complimentary. Upgrades are not free. If they were then they would be available to everyone; without any conditions in place. A complimentary upgrade is availed, without charge, after it has satisfied some pre-defind condition, ie status. Any AAdvantage Member who holds an Elite Status, whether that is low level Gold or the highest published level of Executive Platinum, has "contributed" to AA directly or indirectly to achieve the "condition" upon which complimentary upgrades are availed. It is well defined within the benefits of Elite status in AAdvantage and likely the impetus that keeps Elites engaged. The defined Elite tiers make up the masses, the "secret society," not so much.

James
Old May 12, 2022, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
When was the last time you wanted to book an F seat and there was none?
This morning. Looking at a possible last minute short trip & both DCA-AXA and DCA-GCM are sold out in F for Saturday.

Actually, it happens frequently booking F/J close in. and not only on popular leisure routes. The last 2-3 years pre-pandemic it was near impossible to book front of plane WAS-BUF within 1-2 days of travel. I can remember at least five occasions I would have flown last minute - off the top of my head - if F was available. Instead I mostly didn't go or drove.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
This morning. Looking at a possible last minute short trip & both DCA-AXA and DCA-GCM are sold out in F for Saturday.
How do you know that those seats weren't actually revenue sold seats or award mileage seats? You don't. There are a lot of $$$ chasing F class seats these days.

My trip to CUR last October was sold out in F two weeks prior to departure.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I sense some tension here.

I just wish they'd hold upgrades back until gate processing. Elites get their promised benefits while paid premium gets proper reaccommodation during IRROPS.
Colin likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; May 12, 2022 at 6:48 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old May 12, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Spanish
I sense some tension here.

I just wish they'd hold upgrades back until gate processing. Elites get their promised benefits while paid premium gets proper reaccommodation during IRROPS.
You'll get major pushback from the gate agents on that. Suddenly having to change seat assignments for anywhere from 0 to 16 passengers is going to garner a massive amount of pushback from the gate staff. Not to mention all types of claims of "shenanigans" from those looking to upgrade.

Plus I believe AA would be the only carrier that does this. You'd likely lose more FFs than you'd gain with this type of system.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Spanish
But AA does this and has done it for years, which is why I don’t understand some of the moaning on here.

Pre-pandemic I remeber some of the compaint threads (myself included) where flights would be wide open up up front (think J6+) but AA still wouldn't start clearing upgrades till the gate.

In this day and age if a flight is J0 more than a day in advance it's almost certainly due to paid pax and not upgrades.
deeruck, ceebee100, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For those of you that are complaining about not being able to buy last minute F because you think people have been upgraded, have you not realized they have been selling out F on many routes weeks in advance? No upgrades, just plain old selling of seats. Now maybe they could've saved one back and made more money from you than they would've made from that other person. But what if you hadn't bought that ticket? Then they would've completely lost out on that other sale altogether, and would still be upgrading one of us mere mortals. Instead of blaming it on those impertinent EXPs (not to mention peon Plats and Golds) getting an occasional upgrade, perhaps blame it on AA revenue management not doing their jobs properly.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
How do you know that those seats weren't actually revenue sold seats or award mileage seats? You don't. There are a lot of $$$ chasing F class seats these days.

I tried to book my mom to a popular leisure destination 5 weeks from now, and the only available seats in F involved two stop itineraries and long layovers, all at absurdly high prices to sit in a domestic F seat with no inflight entertainment and most likely a cold meal.

A friend flew to MIA Sunday morning on a regional jet route and F was full up front at the time she purchased her ticket before the EXP upgrade window even opened.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer

That's kind of my point. You don't know. Unless you've monitoring seats for a longer time on the expectation there 'might' be a trip. Even then you don't know for sure. I've foregone a lot of discretionary trips when F wasn't available. But it's luck of the draw.

Actually, I think now that they're offering paid upgrades for $$, it's an admission they don't think those last-minute high dollar customers are going to materialize on that route and will get what they can for F. I think the $$ upgrade offerings are more of the reason for lack of F/J available late in the game than complimentary upgrades. Extrapolating from that, the thought that AA would deliberately hold back a seat on most routes, just in case a CK happens along at the last minute, seems kind of a ludicrous expectation.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Being at an outstation served only by E145 jets, I would never, ever, think to complain about domestic F seat selection issues on a E175/CRJ900 ! (whether I am paying for it or not)
---------

Any policy with regards to 'seat blocking' for certain types of passengers just can't go well for an airline that goes haywire for three days after a single afternoon storm in DFW. Even if you made it make sense (which I don't think it does).

But, I do agree with the idea that AA should hold back the last 2-4 F seats (depending on aircraft type) until ~T-1 hour. The number 1 reason I never pay for domestic F, albeit at booking or afterwards on the app, is that I have zero confidence that my tiny E145 will make that arrival into DFW on time, and there is next to no chance of getting re-accommodated in F. I've lost more of my complementary upgrades due to that flight being delayed (and usually, by just 20-30 minutes) and/or irrops than I have actually been able to see through. But at least it was just 'complementary upgrades' I lost, and not something I paid for and have to try to claw back some value on.
cmtlatitudes likes this.

Last edited by MarkOK; May 12, 2022 at 8:28 am
Old May 12, 2022, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Herb687
What part of THEORY was unclear? I bolded and put it in italics for emphasis.

In theory, to price discriminate perfectly, fares should be infinitely dynamic.

In PRACTICE, this is not currently possible.

You are wrong. Revenue management (at least at airlines like AA who use O&D based revenue management) seeks to optimize network revenue one day at a time.

The much bigger picture of network planning and analysis over time involves a lot of departments and disciplines other than RM.

Back to the theory, no, prices should escalate ever higher and be infinitely dynamic such that the cabin does not close for sale.
The problem, however, is that the airline cannot charge more for a ticket than the maximum amounts that have been filed for the fare components. OTOH, dynamic award ticket pricing has no such limitation, assuming that the FF program doesn't publish a table of low/high pricing.
Colin and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Actually, I think now that they're offering paid upgrades for $$, it's an admission they don't think those last-minute high dollar customers are going to materialize on that route and will get what they can for F. I think the $$ upgrade offerings are more of the reason for lack of F/J available late in the game than complimentary upgrades. Extrapolating from that, the thought that AA would deliberately hold back a seat on most routes, just in case a CK happens along at the last minute, seems kind of a ludicrous expectation.
Yup. Bird in hand vs two in the bush.

Also, the numbers don't make sense to sit on seats. The last numbers estimate for CKs was 11000. AA operated 6700 flights a day. That would require two thirds of the CKs to fly last minute on an even distribution of flights to sell inventory. And if they don't sell (which they won't), they'd have to give them away to these supposedly "mid tier" elites.
​​​​​​Instead, they can monetize them in advance.

I just don't understand how people are coming to these conclusions with zero data. It's as though monetizing seats is some novel concept that airlines revenue management departments don't do.
ceebee100 and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
I just don't understand how people are coming to these conclusions with zero data. It's as though monetizing seats is some novel concept that airlines revenue management departments don't do.
How do they come to these conclusions? Consider the idea behind the famous Upton Sinclair quote, “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.