Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Should Hold Preferred First/Business Seats for Paid F/J & CK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Should Hold Preferred First/Business Seats for Paid F/J & CK

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
then why not just monetize desirable J cabin seats the way ba and austrian do? either a RJ A seat is no big deal for a 2 hour flight that no sane person feels strongly about or it is a highly desirable product that people should pay for.
As an OWE, I can select any seat I desire on BA. Bad example.

Originally Posted by vasantn
Yeah, about 200 posts ago.
Yup. As my mom always told me "jealousy is unbecoming". Gonna savor seat 1A that AA deemed me worthy of having.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
As an OWE, I can select any seat I desire on BA. Bad example.

Yup. As my mom always told me "jealousy is unbecoming". Gonna savor seat 1A that AA deemed me worthy of having.
no, you’d only be in BA J cabin as a result on traveling on a J cabin fare. BA does not upgrade into J. i’m fine with discounted or even free J cabin seat assignments for elites if paired with upgrades not until T-60 minutes and sufficiently high J cabin fares that preserve some J inventory for day of.
Spanish likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no, you’d only be in BA J cabin as a result on traveling on a J cabin fare. BA does not upgrade into J. i’m fine with discounted or even free J cabin seat assignments for elites if paired with upgrades not until T-60 minutes and sufficiently high J cabin fares that preserve some J inventory for day of.
Sounds like BA is the right airline for you.

AA doesn't operate this way. And neither does the US aviation market overall.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:36 pm

Sounds like BA is the right airline for you.

AA doesn't operate this way. And neither does the US aviation market overall.
we’ll see. in a few years, there will be no free upgrades and desirable J cabin seats will be monetized. my prediction.
Spanish likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we’ll see. in a few years, there will be no free upgrades and desirable J cabin seats will be monetized. my prediction.
And BA may sell lounge access.

It's all speculation. But none of it is rooted in any data.
​​​
Spanish likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 7:46 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
What is that prediction based on? Domestic upgrades have been a thing in the US market since frequent flyer programs have existed. It would take <illegal> collusion among the airlines to all drop it at once. Otherwise, none of them will be the first to do it and risk losing high revenue frequent flyers.
Old May 14, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
That's a nice spitball attempt, but absolutely unlikely to happen. All the majors advertise upgrades as one of the main benefits of their FF programs (especially for elites) and for any carrier to abandon that would be absolute suicide financially.
Old May 14, 2022, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
That's a nice spitball attempt, but absolutely unlikely to happen. All the majors advertise space available upgrades as one of the main benefits of their FF programs (especially for elites) and for any carrier to abandon that would be absolute suicide financially.
fixed it for you.
Old May 14, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
fixed it for you.
You're correct, but no one has debated that the current program isn't space available. I didn't read IADCAflyer as disputing that or advocating to change it.

The current system is a blend of maximizing sales (they don't clear upgrades on peak flights or when J3 early) and giving value to elite members (J14 flights can clear a few upgrades at the window). With AA, now marketing buy ups more aggressively, there should be less flights sitting at J14 or equivalent at T100.

Maybe I'm reading too much into your post. This thread has made my eyes cross 😂
Old May 14, 2022, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by PHL
What is that prediction based on? Domestic upgrades have been a thing in the US market since frequent flyer programs have existed. It would take <illegal> collusion among the airlines to all drop it at once. Otherwise, none of them will be the first to do it and risk losing high revenue frequent flyers.
Where did you get that this is collusion and illegal?
Old May 14, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by PHL
It might very well be collusion, but we have plenty of examples of the big three airlines adopting the same policies, one after another, without any credible cases of collusion filed. The movement from elite qualification being earned on miles to spend is an example.
Old May 14, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt
It might very well be collusion, but we have plenty of examples of the big three airlines adopting the same policies, one after another, without any credible cases of collusion filed. The movement from elite qualification being earned on miles to spend is an example.
If they all did it simultaneously, it would be collusion. If someone starts it and they all follow, then , as you said it's totally fine.

I think the point they were making is that no one would be willing to blink first.
Old May 14, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It business travel comes back fully (and it looks like it will) it will be business as usual. The F cabin is better monetized by using it to attract OPM spend than by selling the seats.

On the other hand if it doesn't, then there will certainly be more aggressive attempts to sell the F cabin seats but I doubt that they go as far as getting rid of complementary upgrades for elites.
Old May 14, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
If they all did it simultaneously, it would be collusion. If someone starts it and they all follow, then , as you said it's totally fine.

I think the point they were making is that no one would be willing to blink first.
Of course. I don't think there would be any reason for someone to do it simultaneously, but if DL announced it in July and specified that it would be instituted at the beginning of the next medallion year, I strongly suspect UA and AA would follow in kind without DL ever needing to have a window where they were the only airline doing this. That's not collusion, but it might as well be.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt
Of course. I don't think there would be any reason for someone to do it simultaneously, but if DL announced it in July and specified that it would be instituted at the beginning of the next medallion year, I strongly suspect UA and AA would follow in kind without DL ever needing to have a window where they were the only airline doing this. That's not collusion, but it might as well be.
It would be interesting to see what happens if someone did act. I could easily see follow but also just as easily see the competition using it as a point of differentiation.

AA did not give complimentary upgrades to all elites until just now, which was in stark comparison to UA and DL; the change was likely motivated by necessity as everything is now LP. Similarly, AA allows complimentary upgrades on Hawaii and transcons and SWU upgrades on all fare buckets, which is much better than UA. ​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.