Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Should Hold Preferred First/Business Seats for Paid F/J & CK

AA Should Hold Preferred First/Business Seats for Paid F/J & CK

Old May 13, 22, 3:13 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
my upgrade priority dropped dramatically with loyalty points. So if Iím flying coach on a narrow body, I fly another airline (after 7 years ex plat).
which brings up a whole different issue. Thereís a huge, very helpful thread here on how to obtain/retain high level status (even EXP) with minimal flying and spend. This, however, only bolsters the OPs argument that anyone below a CK or F paying pax should have the Red Sea parted for them when booking or changing to a flight last minute.
Old May 13, 22, 3:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines, National Car Rental
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Do elites who select MCE then get displaced by those that buy MCE? Do EXPs only get free booze and food after paying customers have been offered? Do complimentary checked bags by elites get offloaded in case of a weight/balance issue? Do CKs and elites accessing the AC by virtue of status get asked to leave if AC paid members need space? If I buy a last minute full fare Y ticket and there's only a middle seat, then do I get to boot someone in discount economy out of their space?

I'm not actually looking to debate the above, but pointing out that there are many situations where paying customers and upgraded/elite customers share the same space and things work out in a first come first served basis. AA doesn't differentiate between full fare J passengers, discount J passengers, mileage redemptions and upgrades in cabin.

Also practically, AA can't even execute the basics consistently. Layering on additional complexity and having in cabin priorities by passenger type is definitely not going to go well. As is, one of the posters is frequently raging about AA putting 20F in a321s - can you imagine adding more work on the FA, GAs and that vacuum tube level IT system?

Finally, everyone's seat preferences are different. The only way that paying F customers can always have a selection is to only clear upgrades after they stop selling tickets 30 minutes before the flight. And as discussed above, that completely nerfs the value of upgrades for elites. So, minimal gain for a paid F customer and major loss to a large chunk of customers that AA wants to incentivize to keep flying with them.
I think that the ramifications of proposals in this thread are getting out of hand.

In my case, all I ask is that AA keep ONE first-class seat open until upgrades are cleared at the gate, and that a paid first-class passenger be allowed to have that seat in priority over anyone who bought a coach seat and is upgrading.

That's all I'm asking. As someone who keeps buying FC tickets but ends up in a coach seat and a refund of only a portion of the fare difference between FC and coach that I paid, all I'm asking for is what I paid for.
Antarius and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old May 13, 22, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler View Post
I think that the ramifications of proposals in this thread are getting out of hand.
Most definitely

In my case, all I ask is that AA keep ONE first-class seat open until upgrades are cleared at the gate, and that a paid first-class passenger be allowed to have that seat in priority over anyone who bought a coach seat and is upgrading.

That's all I'm asking. As someone who keeps buying FC tickets but ends up in a coach seat and a refund of only a portion of the fare difference between FC and coach that I paid, all I'm asking for is what I paid for.
I don't disagree with you here at all and IME, this is what AA does normally with regards to inventory. Many flights are J1 (some are J0, but no one clears upgrades on those unless they happened to clear a few when it was J7 and then people bought them in the last 2 days) going into airport control. The issue that occurs is that an agent needs to know or be willing to put the DSR designation and then appropriately give you the seat. This doesn't always happen. If AA could fix this, such that IRROPS paid J are automatically the top of the list (i guess by status?) followed by the existing upgrade request order, then your issue would likely be resolved.

No problems with your point. Those that buy J/F should get J/F before upgraders.
Old May 13, 22, 4:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines, National Car Rental
Do elites who select MCE then get displaced by those that buy MCE? Do EXPs only get free booze and food after paying customers have been offered? Do complimentary checked bags by elites get offloaded in case of a weight/balance issue? Do CKs and elites accessing the AC by virtue of status get asked to leave if AC paid members need space? If I buy a last minute full fare Y ticket and there's only a middle seat, then do I get to boot someone in discount economy out of their space?

I'm not actually looking to debate the above, but pointing out that there are many situations where paying customers and upgraded/elite customers share the same space and things work out in a first come first served basis. AA doesn't differentiate between full fare J passengers, discount J passengers, mileage redemptions and upgrades in cabin.

Also practically, AA can't even execute the basics consistently. Layering on additional complexity and having in cabin priorities by passenger type is definitely not going to go well. As is, one of the posters is frequently raging about AA putting 20F in a321s - can you imagine adding more work on the FA, GAs and that vacuum tube level IT system?

Finally, everyone's seat preferences are different. The only way that paying F customers can always have a selection is to only clear upgrades after they stop selling tickets 30 minutes before the flight. And as discussed above, that completely nerfs the value of upgrades for elites. So, minimal gain for a paid F customer and major loss to a large chunk of customers that AA wants to incentivize to keep flying with them.
Most definitely

I don't disagree with you here at all and IME, this is what AA does normally with regards to inventory. Many flights are J1 (some are J0, but no one clears upgrades on those unless they happened to clear a few when it was J7 and then people bought them in the last 2 days) going into airport control. The issue that occurs is that an agent needs to know or be willing to put the DSR designation and then appropriately give you the seat. This doesn't always happen. If AA could fix this, such that IRROPS paid J are automatically the top of the list (i guess by status?) followed by the existing upgrade request order, then your issue would likely be resolved.

No problems with your point. Those that buy J/F should get J/F before upgraders.
Thanks and I greatly appreciate all of the feedback you've given (including to me in this thread and elsewhere)--it's been extremely helpful.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 13, 22, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If that was the basis of the original post, I doubt that there would be many people against it. The original issue is that specific seats that the OP classes as better should not be allowed to be allocated in advance
wrp96, Antarius, Smiley90 and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 22, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I have a large family - AA should hold back 6 first class seats from being sold just in case I might need a walk-up ticket for my family. Wait, what were we talking about!
Sounds like CKs are just entitled and too poor to fly private to me.

And I say this as a pleb that paid 150 dollars extra for a FC seat for 2hrs... (But on Delta since AA doesn't fly the route, does that make it better or worse?)
Although we don't see eye to eye on other forums we certainly see eye to eye on this one.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old May 13, 22, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Having just booked a last-minute J/F ticket, finding no single (A) seats on the RJ segment available, and knowing full well there are non-CK upgraders taking up at least one of these single seats, I am frustrated. Recommend AA reserve choice seats only for paid F/J and CK until such time as they clear day-of upgrades. Upgraders and mid-tier elites like EXP getting free upgrades should be happy with any F/J seat.

This is how they avoid this maddening situation for their best customers.

After reading the whole thread it seems that the complaint is not that there wasnít an F seat, but there wasnít your preferred side of the cabin with single seats.

that sounds pretty over-entitled attitude to me unless you are a royal.

sorry if I misread it and you had to sit in coach on a paid first ticket.
hbtr likes this.
Old May 13, 22, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
After reading the whole thread it seems that the complaint is not that there wasn’t an F seat, but there wasn’t your preferred side of the cabin with single seats.

that sounds pretty over-entitled attitude to me unless you are a royal.
Why? The overwhelming majority of solo pax would say that seats on the A side of a 1-2 configured E75 or CR7 are preferable to those on the 2 side. Why does it strike you as over-entitled to feel that higher value customers should get first crack at choosing the best seats?
Colin and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old May 13, 22, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
The overwhelming majority of solo pax would say that seats on the A side of a 1-2 configured E75 or CR7 are preferable to those on the 2 side.
The plural of my opinion or anecdotes isn't data.

I just cannot wrap my head around these sweeping generalizations that have absolutely zero numbers to back them up.
Spiff and LovePrunes like this.
Old May 13, 22, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Why? The overwhelming majority of solo pax would say that seats on the A side of a 1-2 configured E75 or CR7 are preferable to those on the 2 side. Why does it strike you as over-entitled to feel that higher value customers should get first crack at choosing the best seats?
I agree they are the most desirable. Maybe a lower status person has paid a significantly higher fare than him and booked early.

this wasnít first crack, this was a last minute booking.

and he wants that seat held just in case he might decide to make a last minute booking and denied to all others until then.

Not just on the flight he took, but on any he might decide to book tomorrow.

(As far as paid F before upgrades when IRROPS or late booking, I agree)
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; May 13, 22 at 5:06 pm
Old May 13, 22, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
The plural of my opinion or anecdotes isn't data.

I just cannot wrap my head around these sweeping generalizations that have absolutely zero numbers to back them up.
Then let's survey everyone on this forum:
When traveling alone, what is your preferred seat in first class on an Embraer 175?

Of course if you are in the tiny minority of AA FFs who would rather sit in a seat on the two-seat side of an E75 when flying alone, guess what? As a CK or paid F pax you will still be able to select a seat on the starboard side if that's your preference.

That's the brilliance of programming SABRE with the type of soft block I suggested upthread. The CK or J26 pax with unusual taste in seats can still choose a different seat than the premium blocked A ones.
Old May 13, 22, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and he wants that seat held for his last minute booking and denied to all others until then.
No he does not. Go back and read the original post. He would allow access to the best seats in first class to PAID FIRST passengers too. Rightly so.
Colin likes this.
Old May 13, 22, 5:08 pm

Then let's survey everyone on this forum:
When traveling alone, what is your preferred seat in first class on an Embraer 175?
I can't believe I have to actually type this out... But a online survey of a bunch of airline nerds is not data and is not representative of a valid sample size.

FT is not representative of the flying public. It never has been,it never will be and there is a reason that AA and the other US carriers dont follow the armchair CEO opinions here.
Spiff, richarddd, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 22, 5:08 pm

No he does not. Go back and read the original post. He would allow access to the best seats in first class to PAID FIRST passengers too. Rightly so.
That was his proposal, it was his complaint that I labeled over-entitled.

The proposal, thatís fine. He could have easily been in the same situation.

The idea that the best seats go to upgrades is unsupported and illogical. I just booked paid F for me and my wife outside the upgrade window and it was window or no legroom bulkhead. Seats generally go in desirability order if there is no cost difference.

Iím lucky to be behind my wife, originally we were in scattered window seats.

(And I wanted to leave earlier and F was sold out for 4 days straight). Leisure route too.

Last edited by beachfan; May 13, 22 at 5:17 pm
Old May 13, 22, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't believe I have to actually type this out... But a online survey of a bunch of airline nerds is not data and is not representative of a valid sample size.

FT is not representative of the flying public. It never has been,it never will be and there is a reason that AA and the other US carriers dont follow the armchair CEO opinions here.
Then let's dispense with trying to make this a statistically valid survey. I will simplify:
What is YOUR preferred seat in first class on an MQ E75 when traveling alone?

Search this Thread