Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on longhaul jets flying shorthaul and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat

My flying is typically west coast and longhaul to Europe mostly. And a few times LAX to JFK in F. I'm planning a trip to Chicago in early November and have some questions on flights. I was considering a redeye but I'd really want to maximize sleep even though it's what just under 4 hours? Anything helps but anything other than lie flat not going to happen. I saw that the one redeye from LAX is a 787 and so I can book prem econ section being EXP. I've also got some SWUs to use so hoping I can use 4 of them before they expire, I will have no other use for them as good as that.

Given the size of the aircraft I'm thinking as an EXP with pretty large stash of LPs already this year and the fact I'm using SWUs makes it pretty much a given I'd get upgraded. Is that wishful thinking on my part? It's a Tuesday night redeye so that's also got to help. What others flying this route experienced or other routes flying 787s and 777?

My other question is whether this aircraft is swapped out a lot for this flight? That's my biggest concern, moving to a 737 with a true Main Cab extra. Physically 4 hours in coach is not something I can handle with my back and neck.

Lastly and not really too important but is sitting in prem economy that's sold as main cab extra I assume means the same soft product as the guy in the last row seat. True? No hot meals I assume? Anything? I assume I'm still able to get EXP benefits like a free cheese plate or whatever and drinks, my wife has no status but we are traveling on the same ticket so wondering if she gets the food benefit from my status(doubt in).
Old May 7, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'd say you have a strong shot on getting the upgrade. Can't speak to whether the aircraft gets swapped frequently, but obviously that is always a possibility, especially on domestic routes. You are correct that on domestic routes where premium economy seats aren't sold as a separate cabin, service is the same as in coach. Drinks only, no snacks on mid-con red eyes, IME, unless something has changed post-COVID.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
You're booking a domestic flight 6 months in advance. The odds of schedule/equipment changes are pretty good.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My only concern here is that first you say "anything other than a lieflat is not going to happen" and then you are talking about hoping an upgrade clears.

If there's upgrade space when you book, fine. If not there's a chance you end up in the PE seat, which means no lie flat. It may be a small chance but it's a chance. If you are ok with that, again, fine. If you are not ok with that chance either find a flight with upgrade space available (so your SWU clears immediately) or pay for the cabin you want to sit in. Any number of things can happen to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when it comes to upgrades.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by Jonesdds

Lastly and not really too important but is sitting in prem economy that's sold as main cab extra I assume means the same soft product as the guy in the last row seat. True? No hot meals I assume? Anything? I assume I'm still able to get EXP benefits like a free cheese plate or whatever and drinks, my wife has no status but we are traveling on the same ticket so wondering if she gets the food benefit from my status(doubt in).
Even if you are upgraded to first, mid-con redeyes do not have hot meals, in fact this flight is coded as refreshments only. Over the years I've taken this redeye at least 50 times and never gotten anything beyond hot nuts and a cookie in terms of food.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
There will be a lot of schedule changes in a six-month period. I had two MIA-PHL trips booked for this summer that were downgraded from 788's to something else (I'm not even sure if they're A321's or B737's).

Also, I've been a low-EQD/LP EXP for the past few years, with a pretty low upgrade percentage on domestic widebodies. I think that last winter I was 1-for-2 on upgrades on LAS-PHL (and in the succesful case I was the last upgrade), and flew PHL-DFW a couple months ago and didn't clear.

I pay relatively little attention to service even on daytime flights, and almost none on red-eyes. I generally ask the FA to leave me a club soda with ice, then take my meds (including Lunesta), put on a sleep mask, and go to sleep. I think they do offer the snack basket in F. I'm flying Flagship J tonight from LAX to MIA and I kind of vaguely remember making a meal choice online and I might actually wait up to eat (flight departs at 11:20PM) because it's been a while since lunch. Anyway, I think that MCE gets a free drink, and EXP's in Y are supposed to get a food item.

I would really not count on getting upgraded to F on a lie-flat. Remember that people who usually wouldn't buy up to F for a few extra inches of legroom and a couple of free 50ml bottles of booze, will buy up for a lie-flat. I'm going way out of my way today, flying LAS-LAX-MIA-PHL, to get a lie-flat on the red-eye, which I would never bother with on a daytime flight. (Note though that I got a fabulous fare on the LAX-MIA-PHL trip through AMEX.)
Old May 8, 2022, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My only concern here is that first you say "anything other than a lieflat is not going to happen" and then you are talking about hoping an upgrade clears.

If there's upgrade space when you book, fine. If not there's a chance you end up in the PE seat, which means no lie flat. It may be a small chance but it's a chance. If you are ok with that, again, fine. If you are not ok with that chance either find a flight with upgrade space available (so your SWU clears immediately) or pay for the cabin you want to sit in. Any number of things can happen to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when it comes to upgrades.
I mean sleep is not going to happen. Willing to chance that provided my chances seem reasonably good. I know that even as an EXP my odds of an upgrade on a plane with 4 or 5 rows of F are very low, so this is the only way I'd take the risk.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCChris
Even if you are upgraded to first, mid-con redeyes do not have hot meals, in fact this flight is coded as refreshments only. Over the years I've taken this redeye at least 50 times and never gotten anything beyond hot nuts and a cookie in terms of food.
I realize, to be clear the question was really for the return, my wife seemed to somewhat care. With access to Flagship due to other OW carrier status I assume we will be plenty full both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.