Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

Anyone doing a quick turn on AAs upcoming JFK-DOH?

Old May 7, 22, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN

Looking at booking JFK-DOH in June to get some LPs and burn two SWUs. Plan to do a quick turn flying into DOH that night and leaving early the next morning. Curious to see how this is going to go, especially with a late arrival.

Anyone else doing this? Especially curious if AA will have a transfer desk at DOH to avoid immigration.
Old May 7, 22, 6:36 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL FO, NH *G
Since almost everything is now spend-based... is there a reason you're flying JFK-DOH instead of, say, an expensive JFK-BOS ticket? If your base fare + surcharges is $1000 in either case, you'll earn loyalty points based on the fare.

You may be able to get a mobile boarding pass if you upload your pre-departure COVID test to the AA app or use Verifly, which may let you bypass immigration.
Old May 7, 22, 6:52 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Since almost everything is now spend-based... is there a reason you're flying JFK-DOH instead of, say, an expensive JFK-BOS ticket? If your base fare + surcharges is $1000 in either case, you'll earn loyalty points based on the fare.
This.

OP, if you dont really care about the destination but you do want to get lie-flat seats, then why not just do JFK-LAX/SFO? Youll save yourself hassle of testing, masking on plane, etc. You could also burn your SWUs by booking J and upgrading to F and getting access to Flagship First Dining where youll have champagne that is head and shoulders better than what youll get going to DOH. Just a thought.
ksucats, SFO777, brewdog11 and 3 others like this.
Old May 7, 22, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

You may be able to get a mobile boarding pass if you upload your pre-departure COVID test to the AA app or use Verifly, which may let you bypass immigration.
Fair question. I have two SWUs set to expire this summer and Id like to burn them. I also enjoy lengthy flights in forward cabins as they allow for time to work and relax. I have three days off, and this itinerary fits perfectly. So Id like to make a sort of vacation out of the flights where I can eat, drink, watch movies, and sleep. Bonus points for the sushi in Al Mourjan at DOH.
Old May 7, 22, 6:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
Looking at booking JFK-DOH in June to get some LPs and burn two SWUs. Plan to do a quick turn flying into DOH that night and leaving early the next morning. ...
Died a little just reading this.

"Burning" earned SWU on an LP run to earn SWU again.
deeruck, bgasser, SJOGuy and 4 others like this.
Old May 7, 22, 7:48 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL FO, NH *G
Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
Died a little just reading this.

"Burning" earned SWU on an LP run to earn SWU again.
Well at least OP gets 13.5k miles closer to Million Miler status.
Old May 7, 22, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
I also enjoy lengthy flights in forward cabins as they allow for time to work and relax.
If space/time is of essence, isn't it more productive to stay at home/in the office? For relaxing, a massage, Netflix or other forms might be even better?
ceebee100 likes this.
Old May 7, 22, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA PPro 1MM, WOH Globalist
If your goals are to make good use of your expiring SWUs and earn LPs towards status next year, might I suggest JFK-LAX-JFK. Add a night or two in LAX with a BookAAhotels hotel room with both mileage boosts and you'll end up earning considerably more LPs for a lower out of pocket cost. You can book a J fare and upgrade to F if you want to experience FFD on both ends and still might come out ahead vs JFK-DOH-JFK.
Old May 8, 22, 12:53 am

Programs: AA PRO, AS MVP GLD, CX Member
Originally Posted by hp12c View Post
This.

OP, if you dont really care about the destination but you do want to get lie-flat seats, then why not just do JFK-LAX/SFO? Youll save yourself hassle of testing, masking on plane, etc. You could also burn your SWUs by booking J and upgrading to F and getting access to Flagship First Dining where youll have champagne that is head and shoulders better than what youll get going to DOH. Just a thought.
Just saying and very OT:

If OP doesnt care about destination and just wanted a flat seat, then JFK-BOS will do. It also has lie flat seats, even in coach, since AA runs multiple frequencies on this route using A321Ts and Flagship Business is sold as MCE.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 8, 22, 6:28 am

Programs: American Exe Platinum, Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
I just did the one way JFK-DOH (on Qatar), but interestingly Qatar only aske for either a Covid PCR or Vaccine card. I didn't leave the airport, so if you're just staying gateside, I don't think you'd need the PCR. It could have just been my experience, but the airline staff seemed pretty relaxed. Also, if you don't know, in Al Mourjan there's an area past the business center with some reclining seats designed for sleeping. They will even provide you a pillow and blanket.
I flew on to Dubai, in case you were wondering. Dubai didn't ask for anything Covid related during immigration.
Old May 8, 22, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I will not miss needing to do an MR to top off status requalification. In Q4 2019 I was short on EQDs (I think, cant remember the exact specifics.) So I did a domestic MR in F with a ~$800 fare, to get to Plt Pro (who knew covid was coming) to get to the hurdle i needed. Now if i need to I can charge things that incur a cc fee (camp fees, property taxes, est tax payments, etc.) and spend way less than $800. Also not burn a day and risk getting stuck somewhere for longer if cancellations.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 8, 22, 9:22 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've done straight turns in DOH pre covid more than once... And in Y. So, flame away.

I have done same plane turns on BA at DOH (back in the old days where it stopped in BAH).

The transit desk had to make some calls but they issued me a boarding pass back to lhr.

So I would expect them to handle a turn on AA.

I've also done it on QR and obviously there it was no problem.

​​
brewdog11 likes this.
Old May 8, 22, 9:23 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I had no idea that AA had launched a JFK-DOH flight. Who in their right mind would fly AA over Qatar? I guess AA figures they can profit from expanded capacity due to slot restrictions at JFK?
estnet likes this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; May 8, 22 at 6:41 pm
Old May 8, 22, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
This is too long on an American Airlines aircraft in J or F. QR? Yeah bring it on please. Flying Y on AA this route isn't even a fathomable concept.

Distance means nothing anymore just cash so I would look at a domestic F route. Get more LP bang for you buck and cut the travel time by over half.
edsh, PresRDC, dc10forlife and 3 others like this.
Old May 8, 22, 11:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
I am not seeing a lot of SWU availability on the directs and the 0140 departure on the return is brutal.

Search this Thread