Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone doing a quick turn on AA’s upcoming JFK-DOH?

Anyone doing a quick turn on AA’s upcoming JFK-DOH?

Old May 8, 22, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
I am not seeing a lot of SWU availability on the directs and the 0140 departure on the return is brutal.
I don't see this flight lasting 1 year.
Old May 8, 22, 1:40 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
I’m with the OP. I still enjoy a trip in F/C on a long flight and a MR. Haven’t done one since 2019 and get that the LP earning makes them a less then wise idea. But we’re all on FT which means to some degree we’re a bit nutty 😜. To each their own right? If you have the SWU and they’re expiring use em!

OP remember you can use past July if you confirm the space before expiration. I was able to book and confirm December flights last month.
MasterPlanner and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 8, 22, 1:58 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
I am not seeing a lot of SWU availability on the directs and the 0140 departure on the return is brutal.
To be fair, DOH sees a lot of flights at that time. Look at any US-DOH-S. Africa itinerary and you're leaving in the 1-2am range. There used to be a late night QR flight back to JFK pre-covid as well, but I think all US flights have moved to morning now. Also lots of intra-Gulf flights at that crazy time.
For a quick turn or connection it doesn't really matter what time the flight is. Originating in Doha, yeah, that would suck.
Old May 8, 22, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
Fair question. I have two SWUs set to expire this summer and I’d like to burn them. I also enjoy lengthy flights in forward cabins as they allow for time to work and relax. I have three days off, and this itinerary fits perfectly. So I’d like to make a sort of vacation out of the flights where I can eat, drink, watch movies, and sleep. Bonus points for the sushi in Al Mourjan at DOH.
Certainly this sounds like a unique way to spend a weekend, but there are two possible problems you might want want to investigate:

First, I don't believe American J passengers have access to the Al Mourjan Lounge - rather QR restricts it exclusively to their own-metal passengers flying in J.

Second (and potentially more seriously), Qatar actually has a policy about minimum time-in country for immigration. Which is to say, the immigration desks won't actually stamp you into the country if your departing flight is less than 12 hours away (or unless you're on the QR-approved transit tours). You might want to search through here and on TIMATIC to make sure this itinerary won't give you issues (assuming there's no transit desk as you've asked).
lowfareair and brewdog11 like this.
Old May 8, 22, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allthem View Post
First, I don't believe American J passengers have access to the Al Mourjan Lounge - rather QR restricts it exclusively to their own-metal passengers flying in J.
It allows business class passengers on OW carriers to access the lounge; those booked in economy have to go elsewhere
Old May 8, 22, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It allows business class passengers on OW carriers to access the lounge; those booked in economy have to go elsewhere
That is not correct. Al Mourjan is not a oneworld lounge. There is a separate and far less desirable lounge for oneworld.
Old May 8, 22, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by dc10forlife View Post
That is not correct. Al Mourjan is not a oneworld lounge. There is a separate and far less desirable lounge for oneworld.
Unless it has changed, it has same access rules as the LHR one had - also from the Oneworld lounge access site it states for Doha

Al Mourjan Business Lounge is available to Qatar Airways customers and oneworld Business Class ticketed customers. Paid access into the Lounge is available based on ticket eligibility. For more details please visit any Qatar Airways Sales Office or approach any of our Qatar Airways lounge reception during your transit in Hamad International Airport.

The Qatar Airways site at https://www.qatarairways.com/en-au/l...l-mourjan.html states

Originally Posted by QR
Qatar Airways First Class and Business Class (Elite, Comfort & Classic) and oneworld First Class and Business Class passengers can access this lounge at no additional cost
Old May 8, 22, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unless it has changed, it has same access rules as the LHR one had - also from the Oneworld lounge access site it states for Doha

Al Mourjan Business Lounge is available to Qatar Airways customers and oneworld Business Class ticketed customers. Paid access into the Lounge is available based on ticket eligibility. For more details please visit any Qatar Airways Sales Office or approach any of our Qatar Airways lounge reception during your transit in Hamad International Airport.

The Qatar Airways site at https://www.qatarairways.com/en-au/l...l-mourjan.html states
Pre-COVID, OWS and OWE elites flying in Y had to use separate lounges, as AM was only for those ticketed in business on OW carriers, and AS only for those ticketed in F. During the pandemic, I believe they had kept AM open and allowed OW elites in Y to use that lounge.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old May 8, 22, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Since almost everything is now spend-based... is there a reason you're flying JFK-DOH instead of, say, an expensive JFK-BOS ticket? If your base fare + surcharges is $1000 in either case, you'll earn loyalty points based on the fare.

Exactly. In fact, a simple domestic ticket like JFK-BOS would probably earn MORE loyalty points than an international ticket of the same total price, because there would be fewer government taxes/fees (which are not eligible for loyalty points).
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 8, 22, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
Pre-COVID, OWS and OWE elites flying in Y had to use separate lounges, as AM was only for those ticketed in business on OW carriers, and AS only for those ticketed in F. During the pandemic, I believe they had kept AM open and allowed OW elites in Y to use that lounge.
The OP is intending , from what I can see, to travel in business class. If departing Doha in business class on an OW carrier, there is lounge access to the AM; AA is an OW carrier
If the OP is departing in economy from Doha, then indeed there would be no access to that lounge
Antarius likes this.
Old May 8, 22, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
I've done straight turns in DOH pre covid more than once... And in Y. So, flame away.

I have done same plane turns on BA at DOH (back in the old days where it stopped in BAH).

The transit desk had to make some calls but they issued me a boarding pass back to lhr.

So I would expect them to handle a turn on AA.

I've also done it on QR and obviously there it was no problem.

​​
good to know about the transfer desk. So it it a generic transfer desk that covers all airlines, or does each airline have its own desk?
Old May 8, 22, 8:54 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
good to know about the transfer desk. So it it a generic transfer desk that covers all airlines, or does each airline have its own desk?
I am connecting through Doha later this week so I can double check, but from what I remember it's definitely pretty QR heavy at the desk, but it's in the same place as the transit security screening so I would imagine they have to handle everything including the edge cases. I will try to get a photo, but I honestly don't think it will be a problem to do the turn based on my past experiences.
Old May 9, 22, 11:21 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
NOT true. I see people turned away all the time when not flying QR.
Old May 9, 22, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
NOT true. I see people turned away all the time when not flying QR.
Care to elaborate?

It's well established that oneworld business in addition to QR business gets access to AM. At least pre-covid this is the way it worked; back then this was only another 3 or 4 daily flights, even less now.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 9, 22, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I've done straight turns in DOH pre covid more than once... And in Y. So, flame away.

I have done same plane turns on BA at DOH (back in the old days where it stopped in BAH).

The transit desk had to make some calls but they issued me a boarding pass back to lhr.

So I would expect them to handle a turn on AA.

I've also done it on QR and obviously there it was no problem.

​​
I am connecting through Doha later this week so I can double check, but from what I remember it's definitely pretty QR heavy at the desk, but it's in the same place as the transit security screening so I would imagine they have to handle everything including the edge cases. I will try to get a photo, but I honestly don't think it will be a problem to do the turn based on my past experiences.
I just want to make the point that Qatar (the country not the airline) may not currently regard what the OP is doing as permissable as a transit even if they have done so in the past so the OP should double check what Qatars entry requirements are just to be sure.

Transits usually mean flying A-B-C and not A-B with an imemdiate turnaround back to A

OP dosen't want AA to deny him boarding at JFK if they think he's not compliant.

I'm not saying that will happen just that the OP should double check.
lowfareair and SJOGuy like this.

Search this Thread