Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Short connection time in CLT - Immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond

Hello,

I'm flying LHR to CLT next week and then connecting down to Florida. My flight lands at 1.30PM and my connecting flight is 3PM. Is this enough time? I'm concerned about the queues at immigration, I've never been through CLT before so not sure what to expect. Is there any way to 'skip the queue' if you're running late?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 5, 2022, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by samfrost93
Hello,

I'm flying LHR to CLT next week and then connecting down to Florida. My flight lands at 1.30PM and my connecting flight is 3PM. Is this enough time? I'm concerned about the queues at immigration, I've never been through CLT before so not sure what to expect. Is there any way to 'skip the queue' if you're running late?

Thanks in advance!
Yes that is plenty of time. The minimum connecting time for this type of connection is 1 hour so you're a full 30 mins above that.

Sometimes for tight connections an AA agent will be waiting with your connecting boarding passes in an orange "Express Connect" envelope, at some airports these can get you to the front of security.
samfrost93 likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Plenty of time in almost all cases. I see that you are based in the UK. Assuming that you are not a US citizen, you will need to see an immigration officer. If you have been to the US in the past few years it will be quite quick - if they don't have your fingerprints on file it might take a few minutes longer.

Unfortunately CLT does not have kiosks (other than for Global Entry) and does not yet support the US Customs and Border Patrol app so you will have to actually have to stand in the queue.
samfrost93 likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes that is plenty of time. The minimum connecting time for this type of connection is 1 hour so you're a full 30 mins above that.

Sometimes for tight connections an AA agent will be waiting with your connecting boarding passes in an orange "Express Connect" envelope, at some airports these can get you to the front of security.
Thanks, that's good to know!

Originally Posted by seattleBH
Plenty of time in almost all cases. I see that you are based in the UK. Assuming that you are not a US citizen, you will need to see an immigration officer. If you have been to the US in the past few years it will be quite quick - if they don't have your fingerprints on file it might take a few minutes longer.

Unfortunately CLT does not have kiosks (other than for Global Entry) and does not yet support the US Customs and Border Patrol app so you will have to actually have to stand in the queue.
Correct, I'm not a US citizen and I've been to the US many times in the past few years. Thanks for the advice!
Old May 5, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Good advice above. In addition, almost all of the major destinations in Florida have two or more evening flights from CLT, so if you do happen to miss the 3:00 there is probably another flight a few hours later.

For example, TPA has flights that leave at 3:00, 4:45, 6:00, and 8:15.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have had very mixed experiences - sometimes only a couple of minutes and another being sent to Secondary. As other say, there are other flights later that day if you miss that one.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
I have had very mixed experiences - sometimes only a couple of minutes and another being sent to Secondary. As other say, there are other flights later that day if you miss that one.
Sorry for that is likely a stupid question, what does 'being sent to Secondary' mean?
Old May 5, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by samfrost93
Sorry for that is likely a stupid question, what does 'being sent to Secondary' mean?
Meaning after you wait in line and speak to the immigration and/or customs officer they ask you to step aside to a separate area where they will typically ask you a few more questions and x-ray any bags you have. Typically only done if they "suspect" something although in rare cases they can be random.
samfrost93 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.