Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full downgrade from EXP to general AA?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antarius
Yup. AA does many things worse than their competition, but this is really not it. It's a silly and seemingly lonely hill to die on.
Now the goalposts have been moved to how unfair it is that the only way for EXPs who earned 9k EQD in 17 months is to spend $18k on AA fares, now that you can't really argue AA weren't generous with status extension. $18k isn't a whole lot more than the $15k threshold for DL Diamond and UA 1K. You can also buy up via partner J bookings, which still earn award miles and LPs via mileage. And the hotel portals. The threshold for which cardholders can also contribute to status is also no longer a barrier (before you would need at least $20k in card spend for any type of EQD/EQM boost, or up to $40k). Now all spend is directly tied to earning status.

The new LP program just started, so there is ample opportunity for promotions to effectively lower the qualifying thresholds, and the qualification period this year is also 15 months.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ajf87
Now the goalposts have been moved to how unfair it is that the only way for EXPs who earned 9k EQD in 17 months is to spend $18k on AA fares, now that you can't really argue AA weren't generous with status extension. $18k isn't a whole lot more than the $15k threshold for DL Diamond and UA 1K. You can also buy up via partner J bookings, which still earn award miles and LPs via mileage. And the hotel portals. The threshold for which cardholders can also contribute to status is also no longer a barrier (before you would need at least $20k in card spend for any type of EQD/EQM boost, or up to $40k). Now all spend is directly tied to earning status.

The new LP program just started, so there is ample opportunity for promotions to effectively lower the qualifying thresholds, and the qualification period this year is also 15 months.
The only one moving goalposts is you. I made the simple, indisputable statement that the new system is tougher for people who qualify by flying, and for reasons that remain unclear, you keep replying with comments about earning LP without flying. Really strange.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
The only one moving goalposts is you. I made the simple, indisputable statement that the new system is tougher for people who qualify by flying, and for reasons that remain unclear, you keep replying with comments about earning LP without flying. Really strange.
It's not indisputable. Not everyone who made it to $15k EQD made EXP since you also needed to hit the EQM or EQS threshold. One need only to look through past FT threads to see elites scrambling for last-minute mileage runs to make EQM or having to beg AA Customer Relations for waivers or buy-up offers. And not all fares earned 1 EQD per dollar - remember basic economy only gave flyers half-credit.
hhdl likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would phrase this differently.

AA has updated their loyalty program to reward loyalty to all parts of their business, rather than just flying.

For those who choose to ignore this and and only engage with AA through flying, qualification is more difficult. For everyone else, it's easier.

There is no such thing as "qualify by flying" or "qualify with the CC" or "qualify with other partners". You don't pick one (it's not like "segments or miles"); it's a combination of all of them.

But, yes, those who insist that status should only be earned by flying and choose to ignore the other methods are going to have a tough time (or at least a tougher time than before). This is how airline and hotel loyalty programs work now. Almost all give some amount of status qualification through co-branded CC spend, some with limits and some without. AA just took the logical next step and included non-CC partners as well. Someone has to be first; I'm sure they won't be the last.
LovePrunes, ysolde and ajf87 like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
It's not indisputable. Not everyone who made it to $15k EQD made EXP since you also needed to hit the EQM or EQS threshold. One need only to look through past FT threads to see elites scrambling for last-minute mileage runs to make EQM or having to beg AA Customer Relations for waivers or buy-up offers. And not all fares earned 1 EQD per dollar - remember basic economy only gave flyers half-credit.
This is getting ridiculous.

Last year, one needed $9,000 EQD to make EXP by flying and this year it takes a little over $18,000 in spending. (Again, on flights. Please don't tell me about CC spending or the AA portals.) That's a $9,000+ difference at a time when long-haul is still limited and business travel is still way off. And you're telling us that it might not actually be tougher to qualify via flying this year?

Please.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

AA has updated their loyalty program to reward loyalty to all parts of their business, rather than just flying.

For those who choose to ignore this and and only engage with AA through flying, qualification is more difficult. For everyone else, it's easier.

There is no such thing as "qualify by flying" or "qualify with the CC" or "qualify with other partners". You don't pick one (it's not like "segments or miles"); it's a combination of all of them.

But, yes, those who insist that status should only be earned by flying and choose to ignore the other methods are going to have a tough time (or at least a tougher time than before). This is how airline and hotel loyalty programs work now. Almost all give some amount of status qualification through co-branded CC spend, some with limits and some without. AA just took the logical next step and included non-CC partners as well. Someone has to be first; I'm sure they won't be the last.
Again, the entire point of the discussion was re: people who qualify via flying, who have to spend $18,000+ in 2022 as compared to $9,000 in 2021. I understand all about the LP system's non-flying opportunities — which, as I pointed out in the beginning, aren't available to every AA customer, especially those outside the U.S.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:13 pm

DL even awards co-brand cardholders Diamond at $250k in annual spend on some of their cards, now with AA you only need $200k in straight card spend (across multiple cards, so you can maximize bonus categories and other spend thresholds), or $180k with the right card combo and bonus LPs for spend. UA doesn't offer most elite benefits for basic economy, and they earn status at a reduced rate. DL doesn't even give elite benefits or status credit for their basic economy fares. AA basic economy blows away the other legacies in terms of elite benefits.

Last edited by ajf87; May 7, 2022 at 4:39 pm
Old May 7, 2022, 4:35 pm

This is getting ridiculous.

Last year, one needed $9,000 EQD to make EXP by flying and this year it takes a little over $18,000 in spending. (Again, on flights. Please don't tell me about CC spending or the AA portals.) That's a $9,000+ difference at a time when long-haul is still limited and business travel is still way off. And you're telling us that it might not actually be tougher to qualify via flying this year?

Please.
1. $9k in spend (over 17 months) for top-tier elite status is an aberration, an outlier due to the pandemic. It's not unfair that the requirements have changed.
2. Newsflash - business travel is never coming back to pre-pandemic levels (and again, not every business travel got EQD at $1:1, as not every fare earned full EQD).
3. Air travel for 2022 is expected to reach 94% of pre-pandemic levels and eclipse pre-pandemic levels in 2023. Fares are also increasing with fuel and labor costs rising, effectively wiping out the modest loss in flying opportunities with higher status earning for revenue-based loyalty.

Of course it's going to be tougher to qualify via flying this year, but the same can be said for every other airline. You are clearly not a fan of the new LP program and are apparently in the vanishingly small donut-hole of EXPs who only qualified for status with flight spend of exactly $15k EQD (and easily made EQM/EQS) with full-credit, non BE fares and no EQD boost from card spend and could never come close to $18k in spend.

And for the record, assuming you use a co-brand card for booking your flights, it only takes $16,666.67 in flight-only spend for current EXPs to re-qualify, and for 2023 status the qualification period is 14 months. That's $1190.48 per month, or less than the $1250 EQD per month it would take to reach $15k EQD under the old loyalty program.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

That's not necessarily true either,which makes the sole arguer even more off base.

Those that flew expensive short haul flights no longer have to deal with EQM. Segment qualifiers or those that had to do EQM mileage runs at the end of the year benefit significantly.

Its gotten harder for some people to qualify by flying. But it's gotten easier for others.

I'm really not understanding the counterpoint here. It just seems like being upset that things changed.
LovePrunes, ajf87 and hhdl like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:34 pm

The entire point of the discussion is that it’s harder to attain status ONLY from flying, so it’s unclear why the OP would think telling me about his non-flying activity would somehow be relevant or change my mind. I’m well aware that non-flying activity now counts in the LP scheme, so no one needed to correct me there.
Seriously doubt that ANYTHING people say here is going to change your mind. You don't like the new program. Got it. Adapt to the new rules or switch carriers. Nobody is forcing you to fly AA
Antarius, ajf87 and hhdl like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:47 pm

1. $9k in spend (over 17 months) for top-tier elite status is an aberration, an outlier due to the pandemic. It's not unfair that the requirements have changed.
2. Newsflash - business travel is never coming back to pre-pandemic levels (and again, not every business travel got EQD at $1:1, as not every fare earned full EQD).
3. Air travel for 2022 is expected to reach 94% of pre-pandemic levels and eclipse pre-pandemic levels in 2023. Fares are also increasing with fuel and labor costs rising, effectively wiping out the modest loss in flying opportunities with higher status earning for revenue-based loyalty.

Of course it's going to be tougher to qualify via flying this year,
Then what was the point of all your replies?

but the same can be said for every other airline. You are clearly not a fan of the new LP program and are apparently in the vanishingly small donut-hole of EXPs who only qualified for status with flight spend of exactly $15k EQD (and easily made EQM/EQS) with full-credit, non BE fares and no EQD boost from card spend and could never come close to $18k in spend.

And for the record, assuming you use a co-brand card for booking your flights, it only takes $16,666.67 in flight-only spend for current EXPs to re-qualify, and for 2023 status the qualification period is 14 months. That's $1190.48 per month, or less than the $1250 EQD per month it would take to reach $15k EQD under the old loyalty program.
No, it can't. DL and UA kept their thresholds the same as 2021, while AA's increased by $9,000.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:49 pm

Antarius, meet Antarius ...

Largely speaking, the new program isn't going to be different for most frequent flyers.
I'm really not understanding the counterpoint here. It just seems like being upset that things changed.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:17 pm

Then what was the point of all your replies?

No, it can't. DL and UA kept their thresholds the same as 2021, while AA's increased by $9,000.
Their thresholds were much higher than AA's in 2021. And the increase is effectively $7666.67, not $9k. But that's only if you believe in math. By my math, UA's 1K (which is arguably less generous than AA EXP) takes $1150/month to reach the spend threshold (provided you don't fly basic economy, which don't count towards elite status with United). With AA's 14-month earning period it takes $1190/month in airfare spend, and you get full credit in basic economy.

But you go ahead. I'm sure you'll enjoy UA's PlusPoints upgrade system over AA's SWUs, mileage upgrades, and complimentary upgrade system. And maybe this will be the year DL doesn't have a major skypeso devaluation. Us poor AA elites will have to slum it in the Flagship lounges, sobbing into our Louis Roederer over having to take out a second mortgage in order to keep EXP and cover the effectively <$2k increase (actually about 11.1% per annum) in flight spend to keep getting upgraded while DL elites wait in line with Amex Platinum cardholders to get into their Skyclub in order to wait in line at the bar.

EDIT: That United $1350 PQP spend figure also assumes you make 36 segments. It's $15k otherwise, or essentially a negligible difference with AA
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by ajf87; May 7, 2022 at 6:19 pm Reason: And also
Old May 7, 2022, 6:20 pm

Their thresholds were much higher than AA's in 2021. And the increase is effectively $7666.67, not $9k. But that's only if you believe in math. By my math, UA's 1K (which is arguably less generous than AA EXP) takes $1150/month to reach the spend threshold (provided you don't fly basic economy, which don't count towards elite status with United). With AA's 14-month earning period it takes $1190/month in airfare spend, and you get full credit in basic economy.

But you go ahead. I'm sure you'll enjoy UA's PlusPoints upgrade system over AA's SWUs, mileage upgrades, and complimentary upgrade system. And maybe this will be the year DL doesn't have a major skypeso devaluation. Us poor AA elites will have to slum it in the Flagship lounges, sobbing into our Louis Roederer over having to take out a second mortgage in order to keep EXP and cover the effectively <$2k increase (actually about 11.1% per annum) in flight spend to keep getting upgraded while DL elites wait in line with Amex Platinum cardholders to get into their Skyclub in order to wait in line at the bar.

EDIT: That United $1350 PQP spend figure also assumes you make 36 segments. It's $15k otherwise, or essentially a negligible difference with AA
They extended status for everyone, so not really. I don't even need to read the rest.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:39 pm

They extended status for everyone, so not really. I don't even need to read the rest.
Once again, you're wrong. UA only extended status for certain members.

DL did extend status, but if this is a direct comparison between the two loyalty programs then AA stacks up very favorably IMO. I will pay more for EXP on AA than DM with DL because AA has a superior award chart and ground experience, which I put a premium on. If AA wronged you you're totally free fly with another carrier or become a mercenary and just book the cheapest flight. Centurion and PP lounges don't care if you book J or fly Allegiant. It just seems odd to shake your fists and keep up this hyperbolic, temper-tantrum about being "robbed" and forced to double 🙄 your flight spend to keep status.

Last edited by ajf87; May 7, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.