Full downgrade from EXP to general AA?

Old May 6, 22, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Yeah the CC is really going to be a minor source of miles for most people. But all the partners make this easy. About 60% of my miles are from the shopping portal so far.
I suspect this will be the minority, just like FT users who tend to skew heavily towards maximizing miles.

Largely speaking, the new program isn't going to be different for most frequent flyers.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 6, 22, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Largely speaking, the new program isn't going to be different for most frequent flyers.
Except for all of the EXP and PP who suddenly find themselves as Plat for 2023.
Old May 6, 22, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
No way. Maybe among people on sites like this one, but there's no way more people are watching the AA portals for big multipliers than are spending big on AA CC. AA itself pushes the CCs far, far more than the portals, and there's a reason for that.
Yeah, because it's better for them 🤣

Obviously the people who will get a lot from the portal are people who are trying to maximize their miles and status. The CC is "easier" in the sense that it's less work if you happen to have a lot of CC spend that you can put on a personal card. But most people just don't have enough CC spend to make a significant dent towards anything other than gold with their CC spend.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 6, 22, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Yeah, because it's better for them 🤣

Obviously the people who will get a lot from the portal are people who are trying to maximize their miles and status. The CC is "easier" in the sense that it's less work if you happen to have a lot of CC spend that you can put on a personal card. But most people just don't have enough CC spend to make a significant dent towards anything other than gold with their CC spend.
It's unlikely that it's better in terms of per-mile profitability, though. It seems likely Citi pays the least per mile of any AA partner. But the CCs are obviously better overall, since miles earned on the CCs undoubtedly outnumber miles earned via portals by a factor of 500 or more. Maybe 5,000. (Which was the point I was making above.)
Old May 6, 22, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Please show your math for the bolded part. Thanks in advance.

You are acting like people either earn LPs by flying or by CC. Its not an either or.

Here's a hint: A 10 night hotel stay I had earlier this year earned more than 10% of the LPs needed to qualify as EXP. And no I didn't buy the bonus.
LovePrunes and Antarius like this.
Old May 6, 22, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post

You are acting like people either earn LPs by flying or by CC. Its not an either or.

Here's a hint: A 10 night hotel stay I had earlier this year earned more than 10% of the LPs needed to qualify as EXP. And no I didn't buy the bonus.
lol

I know exactly how the new LP system works, but you specifically said you earned it from "actual flying activity," which made no sense and obviously was inaccurate.
Old May 6, 22, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
lol

I know exactly how the new LP system works, but you specifically said you earned it from "actual flying activity," which made no sense and obviously was inaccurate.
Um, I said no such thing. What I said was that my actual flying activity would have resulted in gold in years past, but I've surpassed Plat threshold because of other LP activity. Didn't say I'd earned the plat threshold on that flying activity alone

Full and actual quote below.

hi 👋 EXP here. I don't have an AA CC.

I've already surpassed plat threshold with 2022 actual flying activity that would have barely been gold in years past.

Flying + other non CC loyalty points = easier to earn and maintain status.
ajf87 likes this.
Old May 6, 22, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Um, I said no such thing. What I said was that my actual flying activity would have resulted in gold in years past, but I've surpassed Plat threshold because of other LP activity. Didn't say I'd earned the plat threshold on that flying activity alone

Full and actual quote below.
I quoted you verbatim. The sentence:

"I've already surpassed plat threshold with 2022 actual flying activity that would have barely been gold in years past."

... can only be interpreted as meaning your flying activity is what has already gotten you to Plat. There's nothing in that sentence that suggests non-flying LP were a factor.

In any event, all I did was point out the new system is much tougher for people who earn mostly or exclusively from flying, which is an indisputable statement. Not sure why you're riled up about that.
Old May 7, 22, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I quoted you verbatim. The sentence:

"I've already surpassed plat threshold with 2022 actual flying activity that would have barely been gold in years past."

... can only be interpreted as meaning your flying activity is what has already gotten you to Plat. There's nothing in that sentence that suggests non-flying LP were a factor.
I don't see that interpretation. the person states that the person has attained platinum with flying activity that would only have previously attained gold. There is nothing that says that platinum has been attained ONLYfrom flying activity
_kurt, wrp96, LovePrunes and 2 others like this.
Old May 7, 22, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I don't see that interpretation. the person states that the person has attained platinum with flying activity that would only have previously attained gold. There is nothing that says that platinum has been attained ONLYfrom flying activity
The entire point of the discussion is that its harder to attain status ONLY from flying, so its unclear why the OP would think telling me about his non-flying activity would somehow be relevant or change my mind. Im well aware that non-flying activity now counts in the LP scheme, so no one needed to correct me there.
Old May 7, 22, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Except for all of the EXP and PP who suddenly find themselves as Plat for 2023.
It's not AA's fault if you don't check your emails or read any points/miles blogs. I had an easy time jumping from regular Platinum to EXP. EXP's had an even easier time maintaining their status. I also live in Hawaii where American is the more difficult legacy to maintain loyalty with, as United has much more flights to and from the islands, and the travel restrictions were much more stringent than anywhere on the mainland. Still easily qualified for EXP and could have potentially made a play at 120k EQM for an extra pair of SWUs had I jumped at the $500/5k EQM offer earlier in the year. This was also without any extra EQM/EQD from card spend, only butt-in-seat on AA and AS. I'm quite happy with Aadvantage and wouldn't even think of shifting loyalty to United, which to my knowledge still runs four-abreast "business class" on some Hawaii routes and has a whole gaggle of elites out here I'd have to compete for upgrade space with. I also can't fly JAL in J non-stop to Tokyo for 55k miles with MP.... unless they want to route me via SFO or DEN in economy or some other such nonsense.

EDIT: Again, $15k in CC spend is all it took for EXPs to keep their status. That and checking their email. The average EXP household has to have at least $200k in income, that spend threshold is not a hardship for someone who flew enough to make EXP in 2019. If you don't have co-brand cards then you could have just gotten 2k EQD. You could buy that at a discount on AS with the right route and fare code combination...
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by ajf87; May 7, 22 at 1:47 pm
Old May 7, 22, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
It's not AA's fault ...
The point wasn't "fault." The point was that an EXP who spent $9,000 to $12,000 in 2021 will find himself all the way down at Plat in 2023 unless he spends over $18,000 this year on flights, meaning "the new program" will, in fact, not only "be different for most frequent flyers," but much different.

EDIT: Again, $15k in CC spend is all it took for EXPs to keep their status. That and checking their email. The average EXP household has to have at least $200k in income, that spend threshold is not a hardship for someone who flew enough to make EXP in 2019.

This might be true, but it's entirely irrelevant to re-qualifying in 2022.
Old May 7, 22, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
The point wasn't "fault." The point was that an EXP who spent $9,000 to $12,000 in 2021 will find himself all the way down at Plat in 2023 unless he spends over $18,000 this year on flights, meaning "the new program" will, in fact, not only "be different for most frequent flyers," but much different.

Again, there are numerous other avenues for earning LPs.... you don't need to spend $18k in flights.
Old May 7, 22, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Again, there are numerous other avenues for earning LPs.... you don't need to spend $18k in flights.
Yes, everyone understands that. Absolutely no need to go in that circle yet again.
Old May 7, 22, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
It's not AA's fault if you don't check your emails or read any points/miles blogs. I had an easy time jumping from regular Platinum to EXP. EXP's had an even easier time maintaining their status. I also live in Hawaii where American is the more difficult legacy to maintain loyalty with, as United has much more flights to and from the islands, and the travel restrictions were much more stringent than anywhere on the mainland. Still easily qualified for EXP and could have potentially made a play at 120k EQM for an extra pair of SWUs had I jumped at the $500/5k EQM offer earlier in the year. This was also without any extra EQM/EQD from card spend, only butt-in-seat on AA and AS. I'm quite happy with Aadvantage and wouldn't even think of shifting loyalty to United, which to my knowledge still runs four-abreast "business class" on some Hawaii routes and has a whole gaggle of elites out here I'd have to compete for upgrade space with. I also can't fly JAL in J non-stop to Tokyo for 55k miles with MP.... unless they want to route me via SFO or DEN in economy or some other such nonsense.

EDIT: Again, $15k in CC spend is all it took for EXPs to keep their status. That and checking their email. The average EXP household has to have at least $200k in income, that spend threshold is not a hardship for someone who flew enough to make EXP in 2019. If you don't have co-brand cards then you could have just gotten 2k EQD. You could buy that at a discount on AS with the right route and fare code combination...
Yup. AA does many things worse than their competition, but this is really not it. It's a silly and seemingly lonely hill to die on.
wrp96, LovePrunes and ajf87 like this.

Search this Thread