Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full downgrade from EXP to general AA?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ajf87
F

But seriously, there were multiple emails, not to mention the posts here on FT and articles from every points and miles blog, detailing the pandemic status policy and the new LP system. Zero sympathy. No other airline made it as easy to maintain status - American was actually the first airline to announce 2021 status extensions and elite reduced elite thresholds. I actually went from Platinum (earned from a challenge back in fall of '19, extended through the end of last year) to EP based on the reduced EQM/EQD and extended qualification period (they effectively gave us 18 months to qualify for 2021 - last three months of 2020 and first three of 2022 counted).

Have fun with DL and their 180k one-way skypeso partner J awards (round-trip only) and decrepit fleet. And by the time you qualify for elite status they might actually have proper business class lounges a la AA Flagship and UA Polaris.
Except all the others, who extended status?

lol

Originally Posted by bse118
Instead AA offered numerous promotions to requal with little effort AND then introduced a new program that makes status much easier to earn and retain.
The new program is better for people who can spend $100,000+ on an AA CC. There's no way it's easier for people who actually fly. Let's be serious here. A person who made EXP last year with $9,000 in spending needs to spend over $18,000 this year to re-qualify.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
There are so many legitimate criticisms of AA that could be made which is why the OP's complaint is baffling. Retention of status is one of the few areas where AA is generous (relative to the other major airlines), with multiple ways to retain or even buy status. Then equally baffling is the OP romanticizing a move to Delta, where top status is much harder to obtain and retain.
This is basically like showing up late for your flight and blaming the airline.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by js1993

lol

The new program is better for people who can spend $100,000+ on an AA CC. There's no way it's easier for people who actually fly. Let's be serious here. A person who made EXP last year with $9,000 in spending needs to spend over $18,000 this year to re-qualify.
You don't need any CC spend to make status. There's the shopping and dining portal, plus two hotel portals. And it took 12k EQD to earn EP in 2021, and 15k pre-pandemic. And there's still LP arbitrage vis-a-vis partner award charts where you can pick up more than 11 LP/mile depending on mileage and fare code. And there are more partners now that AS is full one-world and B6 has reciprocal status/loyalty benefits.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
You don't need any CC spend to make status. There's the shopping and dining portal, plus two hotel portals. And it took 12k EQD to earn EP in 2021, and 15k pre-pandemic. And there's still LP arbitrage vis-a-vis partner award charts where you can pick up more than 11 LP/mile depending on mileage and fare code. And there are more partners now that AS is full one-world and B6 has reciprocal status/loyalty benefits.
AA gave all EXP $3,000 EQD in 2021, so it was $9,000.

Thanks for reminding us that it was $15,000 EQD in 2019 and not $12,000. If I was a 2019 EXP qualifier who didn't get to use the benefits and then had status completely wiped away, I'd be even madder. Those people got robbed.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:04 pm

AA gave all EXP $3,000 EQD in 2021, so it was $9,000.

Thanks for reminding us that it was $15,000 EQD in 2019 and not $12,000. If I was a 2019 EXP qualifier who didn't get to use the benefits and then had status completely wiped away, I'd be even madder. Those people got robbed.
This is a really strange hill to die on. Whatever status one held in 2020 (earned in 2019) was extended through January of 2022. Status qualification was lowered. The earning period was extended. EPs were also given $400 in AA Vacation credit. AA co-brand card spend counted towards MM status. They were more than fair. The broad consensus is that AA were quite generous towards their elites.

AA effectively gave their elites money. Hardly getting "robbed."
Old May 5, 2022, 5:10 pm

This is a really strange hill to die on. Whatever status one held in 2020 (earned in 2019) was extended through January of 2022. Status qualification was lowered. The earning period was extended. EPs were also given $400 in AA Vacation credit. AA co-brand card spend counted towards MM status. They were more than fair. The broad consensus is that AA were quite generous towards their elites.

AA effectively gave their elites money. Hardly getting "robbed."
You can't be serious.

People who qualified as EXP in 2019 after attaining $15,000 EQD promptly had the world shut down for 2020 and had most long-haul destinations shut down or severely restricted for most of 2021. Lounges and especially the best lounges were closed for most of that time, and some are still closed today. Onboard service was a joke, even in J. I'm not in the same situation as OP, but I'm still sitting on four unused SWUs from 2019 since travel options have been so limited, and I'm sure I have plenty of company.

But 2019 EXPs should be happy with the $400 AA Vacations coupon they probably couldn't use? Come on.
socalduck likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

But 2019 EXPs should be happy with the $400 AA Vacations coupon they probably couldn't use? Come on.
I never got to use mine. I got la few email reminders that it was about to expire, but I just didn't see the use for it at the time.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ceebee100
I never got to use mine. I got la few email reminders that it was about to expire, but I just didn't see the use for it at the time.
This is literally the first time I'm hearing about it. I stopped following travel stuff once Covid shut everything down. I still don't feel cheated. The $15k CC spend deal was great.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by ceebee100
If I recall, it was $400 off a trip with a minimum price of $2,000. Good luck using that on a decent destination before the coupon expired last year. I can't remember seeing anyone here talk about having used it.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
There are so many more important things than upgrades when it comes to having status.
i like the luggage tags. I'm THAT guy!
355F1 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
i like the luggage tags. I'm THAT guy!
Does the barcode on the back of this things allow AS to figure out that they are your bags? Does it show another airline to figure that out? Or are they just totally useless?
Old May 6, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

lol

hi 👋 EXP here. I don't have an AA CC.

I've already surpassed plat threshold with 2022 actual flying activity that would have barely been gold in years past.

Flying + other non CC loyalty points = easier to earn and maintain status.

Quite a bizarre crusade you are on here.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:06 pm

I've already surpassed plat threshold with 2022 actual flying activity that would have barely been gold in years past.

Please show your math for the bolded part. Thanks in advance.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah the CC is really going to be a minor source of miles for most people. But all the partners make this easy. About 60% of my miles are from the shopping portal so far.
LovePrunes and Antarius like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah the CC is really going to be a minor source of miles for most people. But all the partners make this easy. About 60% of my miles are from the shopping portal so far.
No way. Maybe among people on sites like this one, but there's no way more people are watching the AA portals for big multipliers than are spending big on AA CC. AA itself pushes the CCs far, far more than the portals, and there's a reason for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.