Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full downgrade from EXP to general AA?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Got a more recent (i.e., post pandemic) article? If you don't fly, you don't earn the status. Enough said.
lol

Flying? AA doesn't want people flying. AA wants people spending on AA credit cards and at AA portals. You're as out of date as the person you quoted.
Markie, LINDEGR, ksucats and 2 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by js1993
lol

Flying? AA doesn't want people flying. AA wants people spending on AA credit cards and at AA portals. You're as out of date as the person you quoted.
You do realize that status earned in 2021 was done via flying, no? Try not to be so smug and remember that prior qualification was all about the EQDs and EQSs and EQMs. The poster was complaining about his inability to have a status level which would have been based on 2021 activity.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
You do realize that status earned in 2021 was done via flying, no? Try not to be so smug and remember that prior qualification was all about the EQDs and EQSs and EQMs.
"Smug"? Physician, heal thyself.

Qualification in 2019 was via a lot more flying and spending than in 2020 or 2021, but a lot of people here are thrilled those people lost their status without really ever being able to use it.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:46 pm

"Smug"? Physician, heal thyself.

Qualification in 2019 was via a lot more flying and spending than in 2020 or 2021, but a lot of people here are thrilled those people lost their status without really ever being able to use it.
And the airlines reduced qualification standards (again based on EQDs, EQSs, and EQMs) significantly in 2020 and 2021. There was plenty of flying to be done (and spending). You earned status from following the rules and taking advantage of the offers in place. Sorry, if I can't feel pity for those who did not fly. They did not meet the definition of frequent flier as defined during the periods in question.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:47 pm

And the airlines reduced qualification standards (again based on EQDs, EQSs, and EQMs) significantly in 2020 and 2021. There was plenty of flying to be done (and spending). You earned status from following the rules and taking advantage of the offers in place. Sorry, if I can't feel pity for those who did not fly. They did not meet the definition of frequent flier as defined during the periods in question.
"Smug," indeed.

"Sorry you didn't get to use the status you earned in 2019, but if it means more upgrades for me, I'm happy to see you lose your status."
Old May 5, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
You do realize that status earned in 2021 was done via flying, no? Try not to be so smug and remember that prior qualification was all about the EQDs and EQSs and EQMs. The poster was complaining about his inability to have a status level which would have been based on 2021 activity.
Actually, it wasn't for all. I still have EP as a result of credit card spend.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:57 pm

"Smug," indeed.

"Sorry you didn't get to use the status you earned in 2019, but if it means more upgrades for me, I'm happy to see you lose your status."
Your words, not mine. But continue trying to be witty.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:01 pm

Your words, not mine. But continue trying to be witty.
I made a little crack about AA's new LP scheme. Don't take it so personally.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:02 pm

I made a little crack about AA's new LP scheme. Don't take it so personally.
Right - the "new" scheme. Not the old scheme from 2021 or 2020. Glad you've conceded you've been wrong.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:03 pm

Right - the "new" scheme. Not the old scheme from 2021 or 2020. Glad you've conceded you've been wrong.
I wasn't wrong about anything. The 2019 EXPs flew and spent a lot more than the 2020s or 2021s but then weren't able to fully use the benefits. We just went through this.
LETTERBOY and BigJimmy626 like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:05 pm

I wasn't wrong about anything. The 2019 EXPs flew and spent a lot more than the 2020s or 2021s but then weren't able to fully use the benefits. We just went through this.
You're changing the goalposts. That's not what mattered for qualification for 2020 or 2021. Sorry if you can't understand that. What mattered in 1999 means -nothing- for what mattered in 2020 or 2021.

Bye.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:08 pm

You're changing the goalposts. That's not what mattered for qualification for 2020 or 2021. Sorry if you can't understand that. What mattered in 1999 means -nothing- for what mattered in 2020 or 2021.

Bye.
Not sure what 1999 has to do with anything, but it's obvious loyalty is a one-way street with AA. The other, better-run airlines all extended status.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
F

But seriously, there were multiple emails, not to mention the posts here on FT and articles from every points and miles blog, detailing the pandemic status policy and the new LP system. Zero sympathy. No other airline made it as easy to maintain status - American was actually the first airline to announce 2021 status extensions and elite reduced elite thresholds. I actually went from Platinum (earned from a challenge back in fall of '19, extended through the end of last year) to EP based on the reduced EQM/EQD and extended qualification period (they effectively gave us 18 months to qualify for 2021 - last three months of 2020 and first three of 2022 counted).

Have fun with DL and their 180k one-way skypeso partner J awards (round-trip only) and decrepit fleet. And by the time you qualify for elite status they might actually have proper business class lounges a la AA Flagship and UA Polaris.

Last edited by ajf87; May 5, 2022 at 2:27 pm
Old May 5, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Not sure what 1999 has to do with anything, but it's obvious loyalty is a one-way street with AA. The other, better-run airlines all extended status.
Instead AA offered numerous promotions to requal with little effort AND then introduced a new program that makes status much easier to earn and retain.

And thinking any airline program is a two way loyalty exchange is a fool's errand. These are transactional programs designed to keep you using the airline...airlines don't need to be "loyal" to you.
Antarius and ajf87 like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ajf87
F

But seriously, there were multiple emails, not to mention the posts here on FT and articles from every points and miles blog, detailing the pandemic status policy and the new LP system. Zero sympathy. No other airline made it as easy to maintain status - American was actually the first airline to announce 2021 status extensions and elite reduced elite thresholds. I actually went from Platinum (earned from a challenge back in fall of '19, extended through the end of last year) to EP based on the reduced EQM/EQD and extended qualification period (they effectively gave us 18 months to qualify for 2021 - last three months of 2020 and first three of 2022 counted).

Have fun with DL and their 180k-skypeso partner J awards (round-trip only) and decrepit fleet. And by the time you qualify for elite status they might actually have proper business class lounges a la AA Flagship and UA Polaris.
There are so many legitimate criticisms of AA that could be made which is why the OP's complaint is baffling. Retention of status is one of the few areas where AA is generous (relative to the other major airlines), with multiple ways to retain or even buy status. Then equally baffling is the OP romanticizing a move to Delta, where top status is much harder to obtain and retain.

If we want to talk AA criticisms, their $12 food voucher for delays is insulting, it barely covers the cost of water and a sandwich at the grab and go kiosks.

Last edited by FlyingFromNY; May 5, 2022 at 2:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.