Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full downgrade from EXP to general AA?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by DWFI
I don't think AA management much cares about anyone other than CKs, maybe EP. Not saying they are right in that regard, but I suspect it is the case.

Not sure why someone based in Asia would be EP/CK, except perhaps a regular on the PVG/ICN-DFW routes.
AA wouldn't be my choice for such flights, either, but it's equally if not more odd for AA to wave goodbye to such people.

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Glad to see it. There's been enough extending and giving away of status in recent years.
Can't imagine being a CK and caring if some other person's status got extended, but I guess those are the times we're living in.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DWFI
The amount of folks who do this kind of optimization and are FF of a carrier on a different continent that they rarely fly with is negligible. FT would make you think everyone does it, but the reality couldn't be farther than the truth.

Also -- why would AA care even the smallest amount about a QR flyer who becomes AA EP by flying QR 90% of the time??
I do not disagree with your general point about FT levels of optimisation, but crediting to a different scheme which gives better redemptions is hardly rocket science. When I worked in the finance sector it was surprising how many of my colleagues who travelled for business looked to use the FF scheme that gave them the best opportunities for cashing in FF miles for family holidays etc.

As for AA caring about a QR flyer crediting to AAdvantage, it’s the same as a Citi cardholder who rarely flies, earning status through LP on card spend instead of flying; AA’s new program structure shows in a very concrete way how much that they value this type of customer.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
The new status level was only communicated on April 1st. I too hoped for a soft landing but no such luck. Oh well, I've got a boatload of award miles I should redeem anyway since they (like other airlines/hotels) continue to be devalued.
So you were the one who had a cumulative score of 40% when the semester ended but yet was surprised when you got an F for the course because it “wasn’t communicated”, even though 60% was required to pass?
Old May 4, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA had to make a business decision. Lots of people couldn't/wouldn't fly in 2020 and 2021 and lost status.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
What do you mean by “was only communicated” April 1st? Soft landings have not been a part of any major US airline’s program for many years. It’s long been clear what happens if you don’t requalify. All the airlines were highly communicative around their options to extend status, whether automatic (earlier pandemic) or reduced/alternative qualifications (later pandemic). There should be no surprise where you landed on April 1, and I wouldn’t call that a communication. The communication has been happening all along leading up to April 1.
Originally Posted by _kurt
So you were the one who had a cumulative score of 40% when the semester ended but yet was surprised when you got an F for the course because it “wasn’t communicated”, even though 60% was required to pass?
I never used the word surprise nor did I suggest it. I don't keep track of what loyalty programs offer a soft landing, but quite a few of them have in the recent past, e.g., this article: https://www.godsavethepoints.com/air...-soft-landings. Things have obviously been different with the pandemic era as well, so a soft landing was certainly possible (albeit unlikely).

Tough crowd here!
Old May 4, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Another 'other airlines offer X so AA should as well' post

We had one couple a weeks ago when AA wiped out miles because of account inactivity..
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:51 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by DigAdGuy
This downgrade, combined with the horror show that is the B6-AA Northeast partnership (no upgrades, no lounge, no changes, no nothing), is causing me to look at going back to Delta. I've already cancelled my Citi Executive AA Credit Card and moved my flight for Friday. My weekly flights are back and they will now go to a carrier other than American.

You were good to me, American. But you've made a series of choices that seem short sighted. Good luck to you!
Enjoy Delta. They are a terrific airline.

I was loyal to them Before I moved to PHX.

Last edited by 355F1; May 4, 2022 at 9:55 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 6:54 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Herb687
17th on the upgrade list versus 39th!
There are so many more important things than upgrades when it comes to having status.
bse118 likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
AA offered a promo last Sept thru Dec to fly 2000 EQD to retain status. That's what I did since I wanted to keep my EP status another year. You could have done the same!
LovePrunes, jhalapin and Tack like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Umm. did you wake up from a coma . They stopped doing the soft landing where one drops down a level each year a decade ago.
LovePrunes and 355F1 like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by steveholt
BA offers a soft landing, although that's obviously not a US airline.
That is one of the main reasons that I’m jumping ship from AA to BAEC. I’ll have BA Gold wrapped up by June 1. Since I currently hold BA Silver, I’ve enjoyed multiple trips to the FL in DFW, LAX and JFK. While I don’t get upgraded as much now, since I’m not earning a lot of LP’s as I use my EXP status and earnings on flights only through this year, my BE points earning will more than make up for that loss with UPG certificates next year. The op was given the same chance to maintain status for 2022 as all of us. He also has the same opportunities to re-qual now for next year or sooner. I’m getting tired of people blaming the pandemic for screwing them over.

Last edited by Tack; May 4, 2022 at 10:21 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ty Vil
OP has 26 posts. We will never see them in this thread again.
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Umm. did you wake up from a coma . They stopped doing the soft landing where one drops down a level each year a decade ago.
Not only a coma, he hasn't posted on ANY FT forum since 2015. Perhaps truly unaware of what was going on with frequent travel programs.
The link to "soft landings" by some blogger somewhere was dated 2 years ago, and the only US carrier on it was Alaska, everything else was out of the US.
I think this poster was seriously just not paying attention for a LONG time, not just COVID times, but as Ty Vil says, it's unlikely we'll ever hear from him again to know the full story how he lost track.
Its weird because I figure everyone who is here on FT posting or reading is pretty engaged and trying to stay informed. Just goes to show how those in the general public compared to those on FT are likely really unaware how the programs work, when a user here is so far tuned out of his own top tier status that he was surprised it ended.
SK, LETTERBOY, ceebee100 and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Glad to hear AA is dropping status completely for folks that didn't qualify.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by plancast
Glad to hear AA is dropping status completely for folks that didn't qualify.
The status gate-keeping at this place has reached sad levels. Everyone scrounging for upgrades.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
but quite a few of them have in the recent past, e.g., this article: https://www.godsavethepoints.com/air...-soft-landings. Things have obviously been different with the pandemic era as well, so a soft landing was certainly possible (albeit unlikely).

Tough crowd here!
Got a more recent (i.e., post pandemic) article? If you don't fly, you don't earn the status. Enough said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.