Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best method to pay US Taxes with Citicard, and maximize Loyalty Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer

Paying taxes is part of life so why not get LPs from it? I have the Citi Exec card with the 40K spend for 10K bonus LPs… For me, spending $40K gets me a net of 50K LPs to help with the slow travel post covid.

Spending 40K is tough but I recently made my quarterly tax payment with the card for $5K giving me 5K LPs in exchange for a 2% fee. Beats mileage or mattress runs in my book and helps me get closer to the 10K bonus. For my level, the $100 fee for 5K LPs is almost the same as a $425 fare.

I may need the extra LPs to make my target. I am using my card to help make up for the loss of flights and meet my tax obligations.
Antarius and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by PepeBorja; May 1, 2022 at 4:30 am
Old May 1, 2022, 6:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
In theory you can pay more than you owe in estimated taxes (say $200k and pay $3740 in fees for EXP) and claim a refund when filing.
SPN Lifer and inlanikai like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by seawolf
In theory you can pay more than you owe in estimated taxes (say $200k and pay $3740 in fees for EXP) and claim a refund when filing.
Not only that, but you can significantly over pay (up to $5000), and get your refund in the form of a paper Series I bond which is yielding 10%. A double win!
boerne likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Just a tip - when you pay the monthly credit card bull, you will be limited to paying only the card balance plus 7.5% by the AA Citicard (and constrained by the credit limit, if applicable). You cannot prepay above the card limit with the AA Citicard, either.
Old May 1, 2022, 9:09 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by davecraze
Just a tip - when you pay the monthly credit card bull, you will be limited to paying only the card balance plus 7.5% by the AA Citicard (and constrained by the credit limit, if applicable). You cannot prepay above the card limit with the AA Citicard, either.
You should be able to get around that by sending payment from your bank (push) vs. having Citi initiate a debit (pull).
Old May 1, 2022, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
I looked at my statement and the fee was $92 not $100. Not bad for 5000 LPs.

The new program has definitely changed how I look at keeping my status and found this tax paying nugget to be a valuable tool to fill a gap which I previously did doing mileage runs.

It is also changing how I use my award miles and hotel points. I just booked a Europe trip and used RocketMiles for the hotel rather than my hotel points. I found a hotel stay at RM with 42K base miles and figured that should be enough to renew my EXP when I would have normally used my Marriott points. No big deal as I can use the points elsewhere.

The rules have changed and I find myself doing things differently… I bought a Motley Fool Subscription for $99 and 6500 LPs and bought a few things in AAshopping’s partners for my Jeep to get another 3000 points and even got a good deal on the purchases.
Old May 1, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Pay1040.com has fees of 1.87% for tax payments. Thats not too bad. if you're in a pinch, its certainly less painful than trying to manufacture spend by buying and liquidating gift cards.
Old May 1, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Sounds like the old scheme with buying the dollar coins (Suzie-B's?) for no fee using an AAdvantage linked credit card direct from the US Treasury and redepositing the coins in your checking account to pay the resulting credit card bill. Leave it to FTers to find a way,
Old May 1, 2022, 12:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Sounds like the old scheme with buying the dollar coins (Suzie-B's?) for no fee using an AAdvantage linked credit card direct from the US Treasury and redepositing the coins in your checking account to pay the resulting credit card bill. Leave it to FTers to find a way,
Sacagawea coins. US Mint was losing both shipping and credit card fee on each transaction as it was not being passed to buyer.

IRS is not losing out in credit card tax payments as 3rd party processors are charging credit card transaction fee. Some card issuers (2% cashback cards) are probably losing out.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
Paying taxes is part of life so why not get LPs from it?
Opportunity cost.

Heck, forget opportunity cost. Even cost cost is reason enough not to get LPs from paying taxes!

There's no way I would pay > 1.5% for any fake currency like AA LPs.

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Sounds like the old scheme with buying the dollar coins (Suzie-B's?) for no fee using an AAdvantage linked credit card direct from the US Treasury and redepositing the coins in your checking account to pay the resulting credit card bill.

(emphasis added)
No it doesn't sound like that scheme at all. The bolded part is why.

Last edited by Herb687; May 1, 2022 at 1:22 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old May 1, 2022, 1:48 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Herb687
Opportunity cost.

Heck, forget opportunity cost. Even cost cost is reason enough not to get LPs from paying taxes!

There's no way I would pay > 1.5% for any fake currency like AA LPs.
It is like buying miles for about $0.0185 per mile. It could work out depending on how the miles are redeemed.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Some states don’t charge a fee when you pay state income taxes by credit card.
roadtriper likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
It is like buying miles for about $0.0185 per mile. It could work out depending on how the miles are redeemed.
Problem is that unless you are going to redeem immediately and have a ticket on hold, there's no way to know if that will work out or not.

I would absolutely not pay anywhere close to 1.85 cents per mile for AA miles. I occasionally get 2.5+ cent redemptions but given that I have a healthy mileage balance already, any miles I buy today will not be redeemed for years into the future. I think it's safe to assume that the miles one buys today for $0.0185 will be worth far, far less when one goes to redeem in a few years.

If buying AA miles to stockpile for redemption in a far, far off future, I'd only consider a price well below a penny.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, BA, KE
The only time that'll make sense is if you're short of a few thousand miles for the next tier for your elite status. Otherwise, paying 1.8 cent per mile is insane. I value my AA miles less than 1 cent given that there are also opportunity costs of not being able to acquire additional miles by booking flights using cash.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Not only that, but you can significantly over pay (up to $5000), and get your refund in the form of a paper Series I bond which is yielding 10%. A double win!
Interesting, I had no idea the IRS gave refunds with bonds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.