Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding b/c of Computer Problem -- Compensation

Denied Boarding b/c of Computer Problem -- Compensation

Old May 1, 22, 7:02 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 720
Even though IDB regulations do not apply. Can you not pursue a civil action if you have suffered some damages due to AAs computer error?
ijgordon likes this.
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old May 1, 22, 7:13 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 1,227
You are cutting it too close. After 911 I was told to arrive 90 minute before flight time for domestic and 2 hour for international. Before 911 I used to wake up an hour before morning flight to YYZ
unfrequentflyer is offline  
Old May 1, 22, 7:29 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,306
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
You are cutting it too close. After 911 I was told to arrive 90 minute before flight time for domestic and 2 hour for international. Before 911 I used to wake up an hour before morning flight to YYZ
2 hours? Why?

There's zero evidence that arrival and check in time had anything to do with this
Antarius is online now  
Old May 1, 22, 7:44 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 1,227
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
2 hours? Why?

There's zero evidence that arrival and check in time had anything to do with this
You noticed that security line got longer after 911, right?

I just got this from the AA website

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...fk-airport.jsp

Last edited by unfrequentflyer; May 1, 22 at 8:27 am
unfrequentflyer is offline  
Old May 1, 22, 9:16 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,306
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
You noticed that security line got longer after 911, right?

I just got this from the AA website

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...fk-airport.jsp
9/11 was 20 years ago. Yes, security changed, but it's changed a lot in the 20 years as well. If you have TSA Pre and/or clear, the line is quite quick.

Regardless, the issue here was with the OPs ticket, not security.
wrp96 likes this.
Antarius is online now  
Old May 1, 22, 1:44 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH, SEA
Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
Posts: 2,428
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
You noticed that security line got longer after 911, right?

I just got this from the AA website

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...fk-airport.jsp
You're certainly living up to your username with these posts!
CLT and DrinkSlinger like this.
nineworldseries is offline  
Old May 1, 22, 5:16 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
They eat into margin. Pricing is largely set by the market. A European airline isn't going to be charging markedly more than what the competitor charges for an equivalent market.
What would be an "equivalent market" to Europe?

The required EU comp is factored into baseline pricing just like labor and other expenses. It's no different than "free" breakfast at a hotel.
js1993 is online now  
Old May 1, 22, 5:54 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,322
Non-EU based airlines are only 50% subject to EC261, when departing. So in theory on a portion of the market for intercontinental flights, it does have to come out of the margin of the EU-based airlines (or is a windfall for the non-EU airlines who may decide to charge higher fares in line with the market.) .
Antarius and DrinkSlinger like this.
ijgordon is offline  
Old May 1, 22, 8:55 pm
  #24  
Used to be 'Travelergcp'
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Orleans
Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,720
You should get some comp as a customer service gesture for the delay being AA’s fault. You’ll have to ask for it,

I’d also press for an explanation of what went wrong and what can be done to prevent it from happening again,
TravelerMSY is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 12:27 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,575
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
They eat into margin. Pricing is largely set by the market. A European airline isn't going to be charging markedly more than what the competitor charges for an equivalent market.
Every time someone talks about costs just being passed along to their customers, I wonder if they've ever taken at least five minutes to learn about the most basic elements of the supply/demand curve. Sure, an increase in costs might push an airline to want to charge passengers more for the same flight, but customers get to choose what prices they'll accept as well, so unless demand is completely inelastic, they can't increase prices without reducing the number of tickets they'll be able to sell. The reality is that prices will probably increase somewhat, but some of it will come out of margins as well.

But we don't have to have this conversation on a theoretical basis. There's been actual studies of the topic, and the most recent data from the EU [PDF] shows that the cost to airlines is something like 4 Euros per passenger. So even if the full cost were directly passed on to the passenger, it's way cheaper than the private insurance offerings that US airlines push, which often wouldn't cover the sort of disruption in the OP in any case.
SK, TravelerMSY, _kurt and 3 others like this.
jordyn is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 12:52 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
Every time someone talks about costs just being passed along to their customers, I wonder if they've ever taken at least five minutes to learn about the most basic elements of the supply/demand curve. Sure, an increase in costs might push an airline to want to charge passengers more for the same flight, but customers get to choose what prices they'll accept as well, so unless demand is completely inelastic, they can't increase prices without reducing the number of tickets they'll be able to sell. The reality is that prices will probably increase somewhat, but some of it will come out of margins as well.

But we don't have to have this conversation on a theoretical basis. There's been actual studies of the topic, and the most recent data from the EU [PDF] shows that the cost to airlines is something like 4 Euros per passenger. So even if the full cost were directly passed on to the passenger, it's way cheaper than the private insurance offerings that US airlines push, which often wouldn't cover the sort of disruption in the OP in any case.
Anyone who has run even a lemonade stand knows that prices have a floor that is set in large part by fixed costs. The idea that "4 euros per passenger" is something the airlines don't worry about when it comes to pricing is simply absurd. These are the same people who took magazines off planes because the bean-counters showed them it would save on fuel.
js1993 is online now  
Old May 2, 22, 2:58 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas
Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Barely); Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Posts: 2,350
I'll Probably Hate Myself For Jumping Into an Emotionally Charged Thread; But. . . .

Originally Posted by TLVflyer View Post
Friends,

I was travelling from PHX to LHR and arrived at the check-in desk 90 minutes before departure. For an inexplicable reason, the agent could not check us in, prompting calls to their support team, back and forth to the gate and even to London. Five agents worked on it diligently, and got it to work and then not work and then work, etc, until they sent the flight without us.

They could not have been nicer, but we were denied boarding involuntarily and were delayed in our arrival by 24 hours.

All of the online sites that I read -- including the USDOT and AA websites -- describe Denied Boarding Compensation in the context of oversold flights. This was not an oversell -- but it was 100% AA's fault, and their faulty system caused our delay and our inconvenience.

What are the rules here? Can I ask for compensation? Will I get it? How much is it for? How do I do it? Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you!
Why didn't you check in from home the day before? At least I thought last time we went to London they let me do so online.
DrinkSlinger likes this.

Last edited by jayer; May 2, 22 at 3:01 pm Reason: I'll Probably Hate Myself For Jumping Into an Emotionally Charged Thread; But. . . .
jayer is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 7:28 pm
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CDG,JAX
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 10,212
Originally Posted by jayer View Post
Why didn't you check in from home the day before? At least I thought last time we went to London they let me do so online.
Maybe it failed?
Antarius likes this.
TomMM is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 7:41 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 8,306
Originally Posted by jayer View Post
Why didn't you check in from home the day before? At least I thought last time we went to London they let me do so online.
How would they check themselves in from home when 5 gate agents couldn't do it?
_kurt, wrp96, steveholt and 4 others like this.
nk15 is online now  
Old May 2, 22, 10:07 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,470
And in fairness, a failed OLCI doesn't really mean much. My success rate for international OLCI is about 50% and I've never run into an issue like this.
LINDEGR, _kurt, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
VegasGambler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread