Search

It’s the little things…

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:54 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
It’s the little things…

Just boarded PHX-OGG….last-minute ticket so FC was sold out and I was #3 on the UG list anyway with my lowly EXP status. Front row of Y is just as good as FC on this plane anyway.

FA Patty just came back and said “Thank you for your business and being an Executive Platinum.”

I fly CX quite a bit (pre-covid, obviously) and they always come say hello as a OWE….but wow…I have never once had an AA FA thank me for being an EXP in Y.

Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm fairly new to PHX, and haven't been to OGG since I moved here... does AA ever fly planes with lie flats on this route? I could swear that someone told me they did but all I see are A321 neos.

Also, $3500 for first class round trip??? That's just crazy.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:15 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm fairly new to PHX, and haven't been to OGG since I moved here... does AA ever fly planes with lie flats on this route?

Yep. During high season.

which ain’t today LoL.
VegasGambler and mnhusker like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by 355F1
Yep. During high season.
which ain’t today LoL.
AA pulled out quite a few widebodies with lay-flat from Hawaii routes this Christmas/New Year even after selling seats.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
Yep. During high season.

which ain’t today LoL.
I was looking at random dates in June and saw $3500 or $4000 for a round trip in F, on an A321neo. How much higher does it get??

I can't imagine paying that much to sit up front in a non-lie-flat. Honestly it's a crazy fare even for a lie flat. I guess maybe I need to reset my expectations for post-pandemic times but pre-pandemic when I lived in SF I could get SFO-OGG and back in F for between $600 and $650 on a UA P (deep discount business) fare each way, sometimes with a lie-flat (752). When there was no lie flat I would fly economy for about $200 each way (usually on AS) and hope for an upgrade (which I would usually get). I get that this is a different route and slightly longer but it should be in the same ballpark.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
It is the little things. 30+ years ago on a TW flight, I had an FA walk by my seat as the cabin was getting dark at dusk, and she stopped to flip my reading light on (probably studying their route map on their inflight magazine). As she did, "Honey, you'll hurt your eyes." I still remember that.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I was looking at random dates in June and saw $3500 or $4000 for a round trip in F, on an A321neo. How much higher does it get??

I can't imagine paying that much to sit up front in a non-lie-flat. Honestly it's a crazy fare even for a lie flat. I guess maybe I need to reset my expectations for post-pandemic times but pre-pandemic when I lived in SF I could get SFO-OGG and back in F for between $600 and $650 on a UA P (deep discount business) fare each way, sometimes with a lie-flat (752). When there was no lie flat I would fly economy for about $200 each way (usually on AS) and hope for an upgrade (which I would usually get). I get that this is a different route and slightly longer but it should be in the same ballpark.
AA fares have recently been nuts across the board. One way tickets midweek running 900 USD in Y. I've flown a few UA flights and WN as the prices are so out of whack.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My usual route is PHL-LAS and back. Pre-pandemic the F fare was pretty regularly about $610. During the pandemic I think I got it for as low as $400, but now it's up to $699 (a little less for connections).

I guess people are flying again! Fortunately for most of us, we're not going to get stuck in a middle seat in the back.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:37 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
It is the little things. 30+ years ago on a TW flight, I had an FA walk by my seat as the cabin was getting dark at dusk, and she stopped to flip my reading light on (probably studying their route map on their inflight magazine). As she did, "Honey, you'll hurt your eyes." I still remember that.
30 years later things have not changed! I had a very similar experience with AA flying ATH-ORD last summer. That one is up there with a UA FA walking back to me in the 2nd to last row of Y ~2hr after take off on EWR-FCO a few months ago and saying, "---------- from business thought you'd sleep better with this" and handed me a Polaris pillow. The little things really matter.
unitedbusiness and mnhusker like this.

Last edited by Fly2Connect; Apr 29, 2022 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doc4science
30 years later things have not changed! I had a very similar experience with AA flying ATH-ORD. That one is up there with a UA FA walking back to me in the 2nd to last row of Y ~2hr after take off on EWR-FCO a few months ago and saying, "---------- from business thought you'd sleep better with this" and handed me a Polaris pillow. The little things really matter.
Was "---------" a friend of yours, or a crew member?
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:43 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Was "---------" a friend of yours, or a crew member?
--------- = crew member
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by doc4science
30 years later things have not changed! I had a very similar experience with AA flying ATH-ORD. That one is up there with a UA FA walking back to me in the 2nd to last row of Y ~2hr after take off on EWR-FCO a few months ago and saying, "---------- from business thought you'd sleep better with this" and handed me a Polaris pillow. The little things really matter.

That’s so incredibly sweet. That’s why I fly United
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:17 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

I fly this route a lot. In normal times Y is $600 and J is $1500.

I bought this ticket 2 days ago for $589. Last minute PHX-HAWAII fares are always cheap if the flight isn’t full.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 5:45 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by redtop43
My usual route is PHL-LAS and back. Pre-pandemic the F fare was pretty regularly about $610. During the pandemic I think I got it for as low as $400, but now it's up to $699 (a little less for connections).
Lucky you. I'm pricing a mid June PHL-LAS at $700 in COACH.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 5:48 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Speaking of the little things, once as a lowly USAirways DM Gold myself and 2 companions were upgraded with the paper certs on PHL-LAX on a 757 (when it was 24F). On the ground during boarding, the FA came to a few select people in the F cabin and told them the Captain would like to see them. When she got to me and told me the same, I happily went up to the deck. The Captain simply wanted to thank me for my loyalty as a Dividend Miles Gold member. Being a recreational pilot that I was/am, I hung out for a few minutes and talked shop with him and the FO. Nice start to what was a great transscon morning flight.

My other "it's the little things" story is on AF pre 2001. CDG-EWR on a 747-200. I asked the head FA to call the Captain and ask if he was accepting any visitors to the flight deck. European airlines allowed this, at Captain's discretion, back then. The FA led me upstairs to the flight deck where the Captain, FO and Engineer warmly greeted me. Yes, it had the 3rd seat for the engineer. This cockpit was all steam gauges. They seemed like they hadn't seen civilization in months and we're happy to have a visitor. So we talked a bit about flying, etc. as we flew over Greenland. I remember how very bright it was up there from the sunlight pretty much at what would have been about noon.
njvandy and mnhusker like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.