Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying with passport expiration of less than 6-mos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, base with everyone else

Hi All - I am planning on a trip to Mexico which doesn't care about passport expiration as long as it doesn't expire while we are there. Has anyone had any experience flying with AA specifically with passport that is valid less than 6 months? I am concerned AA would give me a hard time to board my flight there even when the country itself is OK with it.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

While the country may be lax..... most gate agents are not. If you happen to get a grumpy immigration officer in Mexico they could turn you right around on AA's dime because they didn't screen you properly. Have you tried calling AA to see what their policy is?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by david55
While the country may be lax..... most gate agents are not. If you happen to get a grumpy immigration officer in Mexico they could turn you right around on AA's dime because they didn't screen you properly. Have you tried calling AA to see what their policy is?
If there's no such rule that the passport needs to be valid for 6+ months then I'm not following why any AA agent or immigration offer would turn them right around.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:00 pm

Both the State Department website and TIMATIC agree that you just have to have a passport which is valid at the time of entry into Mexico, so I wouldn't worry about travelling on your current passport.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ShortDog
Both the State Department website and TIMATIC agree that you just have to have a passport which is valid at the time of entry into Mexico, so I wouldn't worry about travelling on your current passport.
Mexico requires it be valid for 6 months after your arrival. I would say this is risky. I recommend the OP get it renewed before traveling.

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/finlandia...raveling/visas
Etheereal likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If there's no such rule that the passport needs to be valid for 6+ months then I'm not following why any AA agent or immigration offer would turn them right around.
But there is a rule......it just appears not to be enforced.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Mexico requires it be valid for 6 months after your arrival. I would say this is risky. I recommend the OP get it renewed before traveling.

Actually that page specifically says that Mexican authorities only require it to be valid for the duration of your stay, which means that there is no such rule. It says that some airlines may require it, but that means that they are making up their own rules.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:16 pm

It’s Mexico. It’s probably ok. But what amount of risk do you want to take on?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I flew this past winter on a passport with <6 months of validity to Mexico, I was able to 1) scan it on the AA app, never had to show it to an agent and 2) had no issue entering Mexico at immigration. 6 month validity is generally only necessary I've seen for the EU, Mexico does not have this wording.

Last edited by safari ari; Apr 25, 2022 at 3:50 pm
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
How Long Is It Valid For?

Originally Posted by FlyHighDude
Hi All - I am planning on a trip to Mexico which doesn't care about passport expiration as long as it doesn't expire while we are there. Has anyone had any experience flying with AA specifically with passport that is valid less than 6 months? I am concerned AA would give me a hard time to board my flight there even when the country itself is OK with it.
. . . .and when are you leaving? I'm at a loss why you would not just renew anyway to keep it current. Unless there is no chance of getting it back in time. But then I came close to getting thrown out of Canada once on a short-date till expiration passport by a woman who was clearly trying to be a problem. (Years ago. At the time you technically didn't officially need a passport for Canada. But at the airport they were clearly expecting you to have one).
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Actually that page specifically says that Mexican authorities only require it to be valid for the duration of your stay, which means that there is no such rule. It says that some airlines may require it, but that means that they are making up their own rules.
I read it a little differently. The language you cite is parenthetical. The language I cited is not. It can be read either way.

Regardless, no one should ever travel on a passport that's close to expiration, unless there is no other choice. It's not worth the risk.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayer
. . . .and when are you leaving? I'm at a loss why you would not just renew anyway to keep it current. Unless there is no chance of getting it back in time. But then I came close to getting thrown out of Canada once on a short-date till expiration passport by a woman who was clearly trying to be a problem. (Years ago. At the time you technically didn't officially need a passport for Canada. But at the airport they were clearly expecting you to have one).
I have to agree with this. I would never let my passport get that close to expiration. What if a good last minute award pops up?
bbbb likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I have to agree with this. I would never let my passport get that close to expiration. What if a good last minute award pops up?
That's disappointing considering your username
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
6 month validity is generally only necessary I've seen for the EU, Mexico does not have this wording.
EU says 3 months validity post scheduled departure date. I’m short on time to renew my son’s passport. It expires early Jan. We have trip to Europe in mid June so just shy of 6 months to expiry.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS

I understand the source of the statement, but that full sentence is not correct.
I also wonder why you quoted the Finland page.
The part of that sentence on that page is correct "Mexican authorities require a passport to be valid for the duration of the stay in Mexico"
PERIOD! Airlines rely on TIMATIC to verify whether to permit travel and that does not indicate a 6 month validity requirement..

The Washington DC site says "The Mexican government only requires that your passport must be valid during the entirety of your trip", then mention some US Government requirement that I had never heard of and do not believe to be factual, regarding the US Government requiring 6 months of validity.

Last edited by mvoight; Apr 25, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.