SWU deducted for Premium Economy?

Old Apr 21, 22, 11:06 am
Original Poster

SWU deducted for Premium Economy?

So this happened to me and I'm not sure if i was supposed to be deducted a SWU. I flew from PHX-LHR originally booked in main cabin and was on the waitlist for an upgrade. I was #1 on the list. I was told by the GA to wait a little bit after boarding started and he said it was looking good for an upgrade. Once, boarding got to group 5, I was handed a boarding pass that showed priority business in seat 14A (777-200ER, 1-10A are business seats). When I got to the seat I realized that it was a premium economy seat and not business. I checked the app and saw that i indeed was upgraded to PE and still wait listed for an upgrade to business. If I had known that I was sitting in PE I would have declined the upgrade and stayed in main especially since this burned a SWU. Is this standard operating procedure or did I get baited and switched?

Last edited by tasty_chicken; Apr 21, 22 at 11:19 am
Old Apr 21, 22, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
No, SWUs should go from economy to business, not PE.

There were a few random reports of this happening by poorly trained GA's right after AA started introducing PE, but I haven't heard of it in a while.

Definitely call AAdvantage Customer Service and get your SWU back (assuming that an SWU was actually deducted?).
Old Apr 21, 22, 12:09 pm

Apart from the SWU, it is a serious problem that the boarding pass says "business" with a non-business seat.
Spiff, lbbzman and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 21, 22, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Apart from the SWU, it is a serious problem that the boarding pass says "business" with a non-business seat.
Agreed. Not to mention it says C class of service.
Old Apr 21, 22, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I remember this exact thing being an issue on the Hawaii flights that featured both J and PE cabins (ex-CLT/DFW). IIRC, the posters had issues getting their stickers/SWUs refunded for their PE upgrade (with a BP that clearly says business and indicated a business upgrade (C) booking code). OP should definitely be entitled to a refund of that SWU (assuming no other segments were upgraded using it) - and I would continue to escalate within AAdvantage Customer Service until the SWU is refunded.

-FlyerBeek
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 21, 22, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I remember this exact thing being an issue on the Hawaii flights that featured both J and PE cabins (ex-CLT/DFW). IIRC, the posters had issues getting their stickers/SWUs refunded for their PE upgrade (with a BP that clearly says business and indicated a business upgrade (C) booking code). OP should definitely be entitled to a refund of that SWU (assuming no other segments were upgraded using it) - and I would continue to escalate within AAdvantage Customer Service until the SWU is refunded.

-FlyerBeek
This happened to me on a HNL-DFW flight and I just had to call in and they returned all of my Stickers and actually gave me a few more for the trouble. The next time I was moving from Y to PE I verified with the Gate Agent that they knew it wasn't a sticker required upgrade and I had no issue with that flight.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Apr 21, 22, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
This happened to me on a HNL-DFW flight and I just had to call in and they returned all of my Stickers and actually gave me a few more for the trouble. The next time I was moving from Y to PE I verified with the Gate Agent that they knew it wasn't a sticker required upgrade and I had no issue with that flight.
So are Y to PE upgrades free for EXP? On all routes?
Old Apr 21, 22, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for to all for the feedback. I'm surprised this happened on a International leg but i guess glitches can happen anywhere. I will call AA when I can to see if they can give me back the SWU.
Old Apr 21, 22, 5:24 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
To Hawaii and any routes within North America or northern South America those upgrades are free even when PE is being sold as a standalone cabin.

On international routes its free but not a "published" benefit especially when a waitlisted SWU does not clear to J.
Old Apr 21, 22, 5:33 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Premium Economy related . My SWU is waitlisted next week for DFW HNL. There are 8 seats in first and premium economy is overbooked at -2. What do they do in that case ? I hope not upgrade premium economy to First. They should be downgraded to main cabin extra and recieve compensation.
well depends if they are just tourists that booked PE or there are some EXPs. In that case the EXP would be upgraded to First ?

Last edited by D3Kingg; Apr 21, 22 at 5:38 pm
Old Apr 21, 22, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I was a Platinum when they have done it for me. Just had to be on the waitlist and then when I didn't clear into J I was placed into PE.
Old Apr 21, 22, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
I was a Platinum when they have done it for me. Just had to be on the waitlist and then when I didn't clear into J I was placed into PE.
I believe that's the trick - you have to be listed for an upgrade with a SWU (or maybe mileage upgrades too) and listed with the right code to clear into PE if available (at no charge) if you don't clear the upgrade.
Old Apr 21, 22, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I believe that's the trick - you have to be listed for an upgrade with a SWU (or maybe mileage upgrades too) and listed with the right code to clear into PE if available (at no charge) if you don't clear the upgrade.
I wasn't SWU or Mileage though. Just normal stickers back when they were a requirement.
Old Apr 21, 22, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tasty_chicken
Thanks for to all for the feedback. I'm surprised this happened on a International leg but i guess glitches can happen anywhere. I will call AA when I can to see if they can give me back the SWU.
Don't "see if they can", call and tell them that a SWU was wrongfully pulled by a GA and ask firmly but nicely for it to be reinstated.
Old Apr 21, 22, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Was J full or were there empties?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.