Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade from Main Cabin to J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade from Main Cabin to J

Hello!

I have a flight booked on AA one layover domestically then on to LHR. Returning is the same.

I called in to request an upgrade using points and miles. It was waitlisted.

however, I went into the app a few hours later and on the return, for the domestic connection - i was able to select a first class seat for no charge. I’m not sure if that means they cleared one portion (not the good one. :-) and are gonna charge me 25K and $350 for that 1hour flight or what. Any tips on what to do? It’s certainly not worth it for the short haul portion….
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Yes, you probably cleared the domestic portion and yes, they are going to charge you 25K miles and $350 for that one-hour upgrade if the overseas part doesn't clear.

I don't know if there's a way to request only the long-haul portion of the trip, nor if there's a way to unrequest. The best method, if you can do it, is to see if there is availability on the over-the-water segment for systemwide upgrades, which come from the same inventory as cash-plus-miles, and only request the upgrade if there is. But you have to have SWU's in your account to see availability.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
Yes, you probably cleared the domestic portion and yes, they are going to charge you 25K miles and $350 for that one-hour upgrade if the overseas part doesn't clear.

I don't know if there's a way to request only the long-haul portion of the trip, nor if there's a way to unrequest.
Yes to both.
Originally Posted by redtop43
The best method, if you can do it, is to see if there is availability on the over-the-water segment for systemwide upgrades, which come from the same inventory as cash-plus-miles, and only request the upgrade if there is. But you have to have SWU's in your account to see availability.
Or an EF subscription.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You can call and have them refund it. Only waitlist the longhaul segment, not the domestic one. Once the longhaul clears, call and see if you can clear the domestic one (C inventory is usually much more plentiful domestically, so unless the longhaul clears the day of, you should be able to get the domestic one upgraded too)
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

So helpful

Wow! This board is so amazingly helpful. I can’t believe they would consider charging 25K+$350 for the short domestic portion. I didn’t request that abs I can’t imagine why that would be the default. But will for sure get that refunded!
dcmike likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:59 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If you really want the domestic leg to remain F, even if the transatlantic one never clears, you might be able to later request a refund of the difference to 15000 points + $75, which is what a domestic mileage upgrade costs. Not sure if anyone's successfully done this before. You could conceivably get the upgrade at the gate before boarding to LHR, too, in which case you would have already flown the first leg.

If you want to make it easier, just cancel the domestic upgrade and waitlist only for the LHR flight.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Pooky:

I have Expert Flyer, If you give me your date, city of departure to LHR I can look at what flights have J upgrades listed.

Not guarantee mind you, but give an Idea of what you odds are.

All the best.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:05 am

It’s been like this for 10-15 years. Most people will not request the domestic leg and request it only when the over the water segment clears

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Wow! This board is so amazingly helpful. I can’t believe they would consider charging 25K+$350 for the short domestic portion. I didn’t request that abs I can’t imagine why that would be the default. But will for sure get that refunded!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
AA will charge whatever a customer will willingly pay. Just look at the different fare buckets for the same seat (albeit they sometimes come with different conditions, etc).
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
AA will charge whatever a customer will willingly pay. Just look at the different fare buckets for the same seat (albeit they sometimes come with different conditions, etc).
If the upgrade that you get, if purchased on its own, would be cheaper than the one that you tried for, do they not refund the difference?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Honestly, the agent who put in the upgrade request just didn't prioritize/sequence the request correctly. They absolutely can, and usually do, structure it so that they only deduct the miles and co-pay or SWU if the longer of the two segments clears. So yes, get it refunded, call in, and ask them to prioritize the long-haul segment when waitlisting the upgrade.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Honestly, the agent who put in the upgrade request just didn't prioritize/sequence the request correctly. They absolutely can, and usually do, structure it so that they only deduct the miles and co-pay or SWU if the longer of the two segments clears. So yes, get it refunded, call in, and ask them to prioritize the long-haul segment when waitlisting the upgrade.
Agree, this was either a careless/uneducated agent or they made a mistake (probably the latter).
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If the upgrade that you get, if purchased on its own, would be cheaper than the one that you tried for, do they not refund the difference?
Maybe - but I'd bet that you have to ask - it's not going to fall like manna from heaven without some prompting.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I'll add my data point: I was booked on EZE-DFW-AUS and called to waitlist for EZE-DFW upgrade. After the call I checked my reservation and saw DFW-AUS flight already cleared. No way was I going to risk spending 25,000 miles and $350 just for the 1 hour DFW-AUS flight; and even if AA refunded the difference I'd still be out 15,000 miles and $75 which I still consider too much to upgrade DFW-AUS. I called AA again and the agent cancelled the DFW-AUS upgrade. In the end, the EZE-DFW upgrade cleared the day of the flight.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Personally I’d probably keep the upgraded segment and wait to see if the long haul upgrade clears. If it doesn’t then call later to downgrade the domestic segment and get the refund. If it does then you have successfully cleared both segments. If you call to downgrade now there’s no guarantee that seat will be available later even if your long haul segment does eventually clear.
mnhusker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.