Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by born sleepy
"I would like a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat".

Ha ha ha ha ha! People in the airport are looking askance at me. Good one. IIRC the bartender didn't even hesitate, Mo is a true professional.

All the best, James
born sleepy and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I can't believe this thread has lasted 9 pages.
KBMIFlyer and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by born sleepy
"I would like a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat".
Close, it's "I'd like a single plum..." -- but that's a good one, well worth the 10 seconds!

Originally Posted by ptsailor
The fact that 3 people on this thread appear to have an idea who the OP is talking about seems to significantly bolster his point.
Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
If it was Xavi, then I can 100% believe the story, but that said she is not that bad, can come off a bit rough, but she is good, a hard worker. Some customers love her, and important ones at that. I have known her for years. Was at the G club for a long time. And there is no way they will fire her. She has MANY internal supporters. You can doubt me, I don't claim to know much, but what I do know, I know. She is safe, so all the fire her talk is noise.
If it was Xavi, then the story 100% makes sense (and I think it supports her side of the story, not OP's). Xavi is awesome. Such a hard worker & down-to-earth. I also think there was a combination of language barrier & misunderstanding at play -- based on OP's usage, I am assuming OP is not a native English speaker and mistook abrasion for derision.

As for the "you bartenders need to make my drink and shut up" crowd, all I have to say is . The club staff has to put up with ridiculous nonsense from entitled passengers. Like, actual ridiculousness, not just diet-cherry-lime-easy-ice-coke-in-a-tall-glass. I would hate to replace the club staff with automatons that just make drinks and shut up. They are people, and many of the club employees have been there for ages and are worth getting to know. 9 times out of 10, when I walk into an AC in DCA, BOS, ORD, or LAX, I see a bartender I know and they remember me--heck, if I'm solo, they ask how my wife and kid are.

As for the idea that "OP's request is just like a cocktail" -- that's the point, the AC is like a dive bar, not some fancy cocktail joint. Come on, the free beer is Miller Lite for crying out loud. The food is chicken bites. It's an airport. None of that has anything to do with AA/DL/US's service levels. It's an airport bar, think of it as a neighborhood dive bar, get to know the people who work there, and keep the drink modifications under four, LOL.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I'm sure OP didn't say or do anything to upset the bartender. He might need to add Chicago to his list of "trash-towns."

I must add: I find people living in San Diego very very strange (I lived most of my life in NYC, Chicago, Boston, and DC). San Diego is so inefficient and incompetent that it is almost impossible to do any business in San Diego. North County is slightly better, but south of La Jolla is pretty much a trash-town. If you listen to various snippets of conversations in the SAN lounge (and compare it to the average conversations in JFK/LGA or ORD or LAX or SFO or BOS or DCA) then you will feel the difference. So I will not be surprised if AA decides to grow at SNA and not invest in SAN.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34031392-post220.html
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Close, it's "I'd like a single plum..." -- but that's a good one, well worth the 10 seconds! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FST5OvlbFc

If it was Xavi, then the story 100% makes sense (and I think it supports her side of the story, not OP's). Xavi is awesome. Such a hard worker & down-to-earth. I also think there was a combination of language barrier & misunderstanding at play -- based on OP's usage, I am assuming OP is not a native English speaker and mistook abrasion for derision.

As for the "you bartenders need to make my drink and shut up" crowd, all I have to say is . The club staff has to put up with ridiculous nonsense from entitled passengers. Like, actual ridiculousness, not just diet-cherry-lime-easy-ice-coke-in-a-tall-glass. I would hate to replace the club staff with automatons that just make drinks and shut up. They are people, and many of the club employees have been there for ages and are worth getting to know. 9 times out of 10, when I walk into an AC in DCA, BOS, ORD, or LAX, I see a bartender I know and they remember me--heck, if I'm solo, they ask how my wife and kid are.

As for the idea that "OP's request is just like a cocktail" -- that's the point, the AC is like a dive bar, not some fancy cocktail joint. Come on, the free beer is Miller Lite for crying out loud. The food is chicken bites. It's an airport. None of that has anything to do with AA/DL/US's service levels. It's an airport bar, think of it as a neighborhood dive bar, get to know the people who work there, and keep the drink modifications under four, LOL.
The OP ordered something under 4 modifications.

Lots of text, but it's all justifications for someone not doing the most basic thing they are hired to do.

And it's not a dive bar, not even close. It's in an airport - by definition your clientele will vary greatly.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by skunker
I'm sure OP didn't say or do anything to upset the bartender. He might need to add Chicago to his list of "trash-towns."

You clearly didn't read the first 2/3rds of his post you linked.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by skunker

Shocked, shocked that OP would have strong feelings on inadequate service and people being trash beyond the bartender who "humiliated" him by not understanding why he would want her to make him a cherry coke when there was cherry coke on offer
DrinkSlinger likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Shocked, shocked that OP would have strong feelings on inadequate service and people being trash beyond the bartender who "humiliated" him by not understanding why he would want her to make him a cherry coke when there was cherry coke on offer
*Facepalm*

How many times does someone need to explain that cherry coke and coke with cherry syrup are different things? I can't understand why this keeps coming up.

If you go to a restaurant and order cake and are served a Twinkie, do you consider that acceptable?
knit-in, SPN Lifer, hbtr and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
You clearly didn't read the first 2/3rds of his post you linked.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Antarius
*Facepalm*

How many times does someone need to explain that cherry coke and coke with cherry syrup are different things? I can't understand why this keeps coming up.

If you go to a restaurant and order cake and are served a Twinkie, do you consider that acceptable?
I understand they are different. I can also understand why a bartender might be confused. Indeed diet cherry coke doesn't exist anymore - rather, the machine puts cherry syrup in a diet coke. I would not be humiliated by these events.

(And Twinkies are far more delicious than many restaurant cakes I've eaten, but perhaps I don't have elite enough tastes for the cherry syrup -not the cherry syrup that is available in a machine- crowd.)

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 23, 2022 at 9:41 pm
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I am going to agree. Xavi is what we would once have described as a "character", I do not believe that she means any harm though. I like genuine people with personalities. Very memorable person. She once brought me a salad that I ordered to the kiosk in the Business area of the club.

I spent three hours today in The Club at LAS, which was super clean and plenty of people working there....Every time someone took my plate or glass, I thanked them (just like Mamma would have wanted me to do)....invariably they answered "with pleasure"--I don't like that phrase, it can't possibly be a pleasure to touch my dirty dish or to pick up for me.
I like genuine people, and yes, most of the staff at ORD Admirals Club have been there a long time, and came back after the pandemic. Then, since there is a thread within a thread here, my two cents on tipping (in US) : I tips all service workers really well (I want them to be there the next time I visit), and am thankful for their presence and their poise. This just can't be an easy job.....
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:19 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
The issue is that the self service machine has cherry coke, not coke with cherry syrup - similar, but different taste.

Regardless, this is what the bartender is there for. Mixing and serving. How is this materially different than an old fashioned, martini etc?

Them saying no is like my client asking me a question and me sending them a link to wikipedia.
In the time the bartender spent discussing it with the customer she could have made the drink and moved on to the next customer.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I understand they are different. I can also understand why a bartender might be confused. Indeed diet cherry coke doesn't exist anymore - rather, the machine puts cherry syrup in a diet coke. I would not be humiliated by these events.

(And Twinkies are far more delicious than many restaurant cakes I've eaten, but perhaps I don't have elite enough tastes for the cherry syrup -not the cherry syrup that is available in a machine- crowd.)
I can understand that the request could cause confusion. But after a back and forth, even if you don't understand it - your job is to provide what someone requests. In my career, clients have asked for all kinds of crazy stuff; if they still want it after I have explained an alternative, then I provide it.

I wouldn't be offended either, but I'd probably be somewhat cheesed off if this happened to me. The same way as I get irritated when GAs and FAs invent rules and stuff.

My issue with the endless debate of the cherry coke (good, bad, ugly) is that it is not relevant to the service issue at hand. I personally loathe cherry pretty much anything (except the fresh fruit), but my opinions on cherry are mine alone, it doesn't mean that the OP's request is any less valid. Each of us has our own idiosyncratic choices and as long as it isn't something unreasonable (diet coke + cherry syrup + lime is a 3 ingredient mix that takes 10 seconds), it shouldn't matter .
SPN Lifer, MSPeconomist and hbtr like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Tintin
Here is an interesting encounter I had with a bar tender at the Admirals Club at ORD. I am curious to know how would you handle similar situations professionally.

I walked by the bar to ask for a glass of diet coke in a tall glass with easy on ice and Lime and Cherry sirup. Normally I avoid the self-service coke machines and order a similar drink at the bar. Bar tenders at various clubs including LGA, JFK, DFW, LAX, CLT etc etc always gladly make the drink. Today at ORD, I was been humiliated by the bar tender. Here is what happened:

I walked by the bar and asked the bar tender I like to have a diet coke with easy ice and Lime and Cherry sirup. Before I could complete my sentence, she showed me the self service machine. I told her that I like to have the drink in a tall glass. She handed me a glass and pointed her fingers to the machine. It was hard to believe. I told her that there is no lime available in the buffet area, and regardless I prefer to get my drink at the bar. She said there is no Cherry diet-coke at the bar - do you know how to operate the self service machine? She started to become sarcastic and insulting. I was still most polite and calm (and, just a FYI I am wearing a business attire). I told her that I know how to operate the self service machine. I flew more than160,000 miles last year and I am a member of the club for many years. So I have a very good sense of what's available at the clubs. And this is the first time a bar tender at a club is refusing to serve. I am not asking for a cherry-diet-coke, but I am asking to mix a bit of Cherry sirup on my diet-coke, and the syrup is normally available in the bar, although I don't know the brand name of the syrup. She pulled out the coke dispenser nozzle and said look, look, look here -- there is no Cherry coke button here. Come with me and I will show you how to operate the self service machine. She was giving a loud show for the people sitting on the bar, and it was getting quite humiliating. So I picked up the glass and turned around. She shouted do you need your lime - and let me show you how to operate the machine. I didn't say anything. I filled up my glass at the machine and walked towards the quite area. On my way back, I turned my head around towards the bar, and saw she is having quite a chit-chat and a laugh with the people sitting on the bar all looking at me.

So it get me thinking. Not only I was humiliated and insulted deliberately by a bar tender but I cannot think of anything I can do to change her behavior. The whole incident was so humiliating that I don't even feel like going back to that area to get a refill from the machine.

I wonder how would you handle similar situation if it happns to you? Do you think I should file a

Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Small claims court.
Adam1222 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.