Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just playing devil's advocate here, but the bartender offered to take you to the machine to show you how to work it, so maybe she thought was genuinely helping you out and not trying to humiliate or insult you. Also are you sure the ORD club actually has cherry syrup, that could have been what she meant when saying there's no cherry on the gun.

In any event if you want to try again, I would just walk back up, thank her for the help, but say the drink didn't quite taste like what you're after and try asking again if they have cherry syrup. Or just go to the other bar (there are 2 bars in the ORD H/K club) and ask a different bartender.
Every bar has grenadine.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
There's a huge labor shortage in the US - AA has plenty of better trained, job-hungry applicants waiting to fill her position.

I don't think you understand how a labor shortage works...
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
None of these people make very much money, and you have no idea what or who that bartender had to deal with prior to your encounter.
Exactly... so why is she pissing away an opportunity to get a tip?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
OP, out of curiosity, was the first bartender's name Xavi? Puerto Rican woman?
The fact that 3 people on this thread appear to have an idea who the OP is talking about seems to significantly bolster his point.
SPN Lifer, cmd320 and Antarius like this.

Last edited by ptsailor; Apr 22, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
My first call would be to the New York Times, to give the Gray Lady the scoop on this late breaking story.
Adam1222 and madmanshoney like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Tintin
I wonder how would you handle similar situation if it happns to you? Do you think I should file a complain to someone?
I think your original request was over the top for an airline lounge bar. Where did you think you were that had every mixer/syrup ever? Some kind of boutique?

Airline lounge bars are busy af and the staff dread people like you who think they're at a damn Starbucks. Drop it. If I was that bartender my eyes would have rolled back so far, I'd be crawling around the floor trying to find them.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by ptsailor
Every bar has grenadine.
OP desperately needed cherry. Grenadine is not cherry. Doubt AA club keeps a bottle of Kirsch or Heering around.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I think your original request was over the top for an airline lounge bar. Where did you think you were that had every mixer/syrup ever? Some kind of boutique?

Airline lounge bars are busy af and the staff dread people like you who think they're at a damn Starbucks. Drop it. If I was that bartender my eyes would have rolled back so far, I'd be crawling around the floor trying to find them.
Then the simple answer is "Sir/Ma'am, I do not have that right now".

It is amazing and sad that AA and the US3 have conditioned people to think coke + syrup + lime is some sort of elaborate drink. Where did the standards go?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK

Huh? How is OP's request any different from a particular mixed alcoholic drink? I think OP's reaction was odd, but still the original request was not unreasonable.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond

OP reported that the other bar at the ORD club was able to make the requested drink so apparently they did stock the required ingredients. And what the OP requested isn’t any more complicated than a simple mixed drink. If the staff dreads that they are in the wrong job.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:29 pm

"I would like a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat".

fdog, D3Kingg, Check and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by ptsailor
The fact that 3 people on this thread appear to have an idea who the OP is talking about seems to significantly bolster his point.
If it was Xavi, then I can 100% believe the story, but that said she is not that bad, can come off a bit rough, but she is good, a hard worker. Some customers love her, and important ones at that. I have known her for years. Was at the G club for a long time. And there is no way they will fire her. She has MANY internal supporters. You can doubt me, I don't claim to know much, but what I do know, I know. She is safe, so all the fire her talk is noise.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
"I would like a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat".

I assume the was self directed at your own comparison.

May as well fire all the bartenders and just leave the coke machine and liquor. Since 2 ingredient mixes are too complex apparently.

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
If it was Xavi, then I can 100% believe the story, but that said she is not that bad, can come off a bit rough, but she is good, a hard worker. Some customers love her, and important ones at that. I have known her for years. Was at the G club for a long time. And there is no way they will fire her. She has MANY internal supporters. You can doubt me, I don't claim to know much, but what I do know, I know. She is safe, so all the fire her talk is noise.
​​​​​​​
The firing talk is all wishful thinking and hope for sure. AA doesn't fire anyone, no matter how badly they seem to perform.

Last edited by Antarius; Apr 23, 2022 at 12:20 am
Old Apr 23, 2022, 3:16 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
That is very, very wrong. These people work for tips. Whether you pay for the drink in cash or another currency (voucher), you should always tip, even if only $1.
That, Dear, is your opinion. It is not mine. I am certainly not about to get into a debate over tipping in an an airline lounge bar. All I would say is that had the OP had not had to deal with a barwoman, we would have been deprived of hours of meaningless chat.
redrob likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Technically the OP should have ordered a “diet Roy Rogers with lime “. That’s a drink order that would command respect from any bar tender.
Adam1222 and Check like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.