Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Given that AA never seems to fire anyone, it's time to get rid of the deadweight.

Misunderstanding or not, is there really an excuse for being rude in a service industry job?

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 22, 2022 at 3:53 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I cannot help but wonder whether the Barwoman in question has the slightest idea of the sensation that this has created on Flyertalk. It is entirely possible that she has not heard of Flyertlak - most sane people have not. My own thoughts is that this is a song-and-dance over nothing in particular and for that reason alone is pure Flyertalk clickbait. We are asked to comment on a non-event which has nothing to do with American Airlines particularly, and we are up there at once. This is not a criticism as I am just as good or bad as the rest. It is entirely possible that as she left to go home the Barwoman had entirely forgotten the whole incident unaware that it is now being considered as mini series on the tackier end of television - and frankly I would not blame her.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
As a life member of the Admirals Club (previously US Airways Club) for over two decades, this thread has commendably heightened my awareness concerning the potential unavailability of cherry syrup at the bar.

Cheynewalk likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:50 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I cannot help but wonder whether the Barwoman in question has the slightest idea of the sensation that this has created on Flyertalk. It is entirely possible that she has not heard of Flyertlak - most sane people have not. My own thoughts is that this is a song-and-dance over nothing in particular and for that reason alone is pure Flyertalk clickbait. We are asked to comment on a non-event which has nothing to do with American Airlines particularly, and we are up there at once. This is not a criticism as I am just as good or bad as the rest. It is entirely possible that as she left to go home the Barwoman had entirely forgotten the whole incident unaware that it is now being considered as mini series on the tackier end of television - and frankly I would not blame her.

Some people go out of their way to get offended and feel oppressed.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by jcf27
Agree.... In addition, as we can see, some people like to poison their bodies with carcinogens, added sugars and salt. Not just with drinks, but with airplane food too.
I think we may have found the ultimate threadcrap on the internet. Completely irrelevant, apropos of nothing, and as judgmental as any Puritan screed.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I cannot help but wonder whether the Barwoman in question has the slightest idea of the sensation that this has created on Flyertalk.
That chances of her even knowing what Flyertalk is are about as good as me finding LAX-SYD C7.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The OP posted their 160k a year traveling rate. I used mine as a counterpoint saying that Ive never been on the end of such devastating humiliation despite more than 2.5 million miles of travel.

I guess my point is that there are 2 sides to every story and were only getting one side here yet many seem to be ready to throw the bartender out on the streets. Why?

Having worked in the service industry both in fast food and as a barista, Im reticent to believe fully a story of the angelic customer being put upon by the horrible service worker.
I have been a bartender, and I would always aim to please the customer. Not for tips, not for acknowledgement, but for enjoyment and pride in my work. Perhaps you didn't like your job as barista and had people complain as you mentioned up thread.

I have had my share of less than interested bartenders, but this one, from the sound of it, seems like quite a piece of work. Glad the OP took the right measures and hopefully she will be retrained. Getting fired just means she will take that unhappy attitude elsewhere. It isn't easy being a low income wage worker in these times, and the stress is bound to increase if fired.
diburning and redrob like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:05 pm

The OP and a lot of you folks who are flying have no concept of how bad things are behinds the scenes. Be happy the club was open and you had a bartender
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:40 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
You need to assert dominance in these types of situation. This employees only job is to serve you drinks, not to point fingers or mock you.
The customer is nobility (especially when dressed in business attire) and the bartender is a mere peasant, is that it???
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:19 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I always get vouchers and am sometimes conscious of them rather treating them as muck as theres no money changing hands and therefore no tip.
That is very, very wrong. These people work for tips. Whether you pay for the drink in cash or another currency (voucher), you should always tip, even if only $1.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
That is very, very wrong. These people work for tips. Whether you pay for the drink in cash or another currency (voucher), you should always tip, even if only $1.
This is going to skew this thread to a road no one wants to go down.
LETTERBOY and redrob like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:58 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The customer (OP) is in the right based on his description, and the bartender is in the wrong and needs to be fired. It's really that simple. The employee is ripe and easily replaceable.
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
The customer is nobility (especially when dressed in business attire) and the bartender is a mere peasant, is that it???
Re-read my post. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asserting dominance after being mishandled and humiliated by the employee in front of other guests. If they're going to provide dog sh*t service to you, you're a fool to treat them with kindness in return.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I get being dissatisfied with customer service.
But suggesting the response is to "assert dominance" is beyond the pale. This isn't a dog. It's a human.

If you are an entitled customer who "asserts dominance" over service employees regularly, that would explain why you may not get the most helpful friendly service.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:43 pm

I'm not reading this whole thing. I scanned a couple posts and it sounds like someone got in fight with a bar tender after having too many Shirley Temples?
born sleepy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
The customer (OP) is in the right based on his description, and the bartender is in the wrong and needs to be fired. It's really that simple. The employee is ripe and easily replaceable.

Re-read my post. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asserting dominance after being mishandled and humiliated by the employee in front of other guests. If they're going to provide dog sh*t service to you, you're a fool to treat them with kindness in return.
"Asserting dominance" is a term used for controlling dogs
But if someone isnt giving you good service, being a DYWKIA in response isnt going to make them nice to you
Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:26 pm
Suspended

On the one hand: its just a drink and if its to be made using a self-service machine, then thats how it is.

On the other hand: acting out of line in a job is not ok, and rudeness is not ok. Excusing it by saying the bartender isnt paid well or look at what the bartender deals with all day is not ok, either; no matter what job we have, there is always someone who is paid more than we are, and if someone isnt willing to do his or her best, the person should find another job.
knit-in, wrp96 and DiamondMile like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.