Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That should make the bartender even easier to get rid of. If AA complains to the contract company who employs her, she is gone. That's the main reason to use contractors; to not have to deal with unions and other nonsense.
Wow, tough crowd. Now I know why it’s so hard for my subcontractors to retain their employees I guess. One minor complaint and they are out! Turnover is incredibly expensive— like 3 months salary for a lower level position and 6 months to a year’s salary for a higher-level position.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:50 pm

That should make the bartender even easier to get rid of. If AA complains to the contract company who employs her, she is gone. That's the main reason to use contractors; to not have to deal with unions and other nonsense.
I believe Sodexo is who handles the ORD AC, and it is indeed a union shop
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I believe Sodexo is who handles the ORD AC, and it is indeed a union shop
Yes but AA doesn't have to deal with them, their employer does.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
What else does the bartender have to do other than make and serve drinks? Before the machines were in place, I always had to ask the bartender for a Coke and it would come with a tip. Seems unnecessarily confrontational of a bartender to keep pointing a guest to the machine.

As for a cherry Coke, the taste is super-dependent on the blend of syrup and, in my experience, separate cherry syrup added to a Coke is always better than "Cherry Coke" coming from a machine already mixed.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:31 pm

Hopefully that bartender gets fired, not retrained
Seriously?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:38 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Very simple to answer.
1. Take your phone out to start recording or at least take pictures of the employee
2. Get their first name, log the time and log the date of your visit
3. Bring the details to the check-in desk and have them walk you back to the rogue employee to see what occurs.

You need to assert dominance in these types of situation. This employees only job is to serve you drinks, not to point fingers or mock you.

They aren't doing their job = get them reprimanded. There's a huge labor shortage in the US - AA has plenty of better trained, job-hungry applicants waiting to fill her position. She's not a snowflake.

Originally Posted by Tintin
I wonder how would you handle similar situation if it happens to you? Do you think I should file a complain to someone?
dvs7310, bloomz and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Seriously?
If the original post is accurate and not exaggerated, then, yes. This person should not be working in any customer-facing job.

If I owned a bar or restaurant and I saw an employee treat a customer like that they would not finish their shift.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
It's amazing to see how people pass harsh judgement to a one-sided melodramatic story....
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP Is English your first language? I am being sincere not sarcastic. The reason I ask is your post sort of reads like it might not. That being said perhaps the (rude) bartender didn't understand you and/or what you were trying to say.

Either way I agree with the first response. I would have had a manager there in 30 seconds confronting this very rude employee. I don't care if she works as contractor yadda yadda yadda, she works in a place operated by American Airlines and her actions are representative of said company.

Sorry to hear what you went through. I would have loved to see this happen to me. LOL
dvs7310, bethyy and KeithRedford like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcf27
It's amazing to see how people pass harsh judgement to a one-sided melodramatic story....
As I said, if (and only if) it was accurate.

Of course if it's an exaggeration and we don't have the facts then it's impossible to assess.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being denied a Diet Coke with a splash of cherry, a little ice and a squeeze of lime?

Definitely a reason to send corporate a letter. They probably have a bulletin board of ridiculous complaint letters they laugh at, they could add this one.

Reminds me of my days as a Starbucks barista with the people ordering half caf/nonfat/extra hot mocha with lots of whipped cream. Invariably these customers complained the most.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Being denied a Diet Coke with a splash of cherry, a little ice and a squeeze of lime?
Except that's not what the complaint is about, but yeah, good strawman argument.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Except that's not what the complaint is about, but yeah, good strawman argument.
Maybe I’m bad at reading but it seems to me that the complaint is exactly about being denied the special concoction and then having hurt feelings about it.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Very simple to answer.There's a huge labor shortage in the US - AA has plenty of better trained, job-hungry applicants waiting to fill her position.
Not to pick on you, but a labor shortage means there is a shortage of *applicants*, not of jobs. We may in fact be stuck with the unfriendly bartender.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Maybe I’m bad at reading but it seems to me that the complaint is exactly about being denied the special concoction and then having hurt feelings about it.
You should definitely read it again if that's what you got out of it.

If that's still all you get out of it then, yes, sorry, you are bad at reading comprehension.
mikew99, knit-in, ijgordon and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.