Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
ATL doesn't have a freestyle machine but they do have old style self service taps for coke, etc. They are right out of the 80's.
Good enough for me. I just need Diet Coke. Nothing fancy like Cherry Coke.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Obviously you're either blind or only choosing to reading the words you want to read from OPs post while ignoring the parts where an employee mocks OP for asking for a soda.

I'll go with the 1st option.

Remind yourself that the bartender is in the customer service industry. showing absolutely zero customer service if they're going to mock the person they're trained to serve.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Showing customer how to use a machine = mocking a customer multiple times in a span of minutes. Unless you were there and have more info than the OPs melodramatic reference to "humiliation"...

Other posters have said they love the bartender folks think this was. Part of being a good bartender is having a personality. If it weren't, you might as well just have a robotic machine that dispenses diet coke with cherry syrup that customers can use without needing to interact with humans. Wait a minute maybe I'm onto something....
knit-in and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by aztimm; Apr 26, 2022 at 5:35 pm Reason: removed o/t personal info
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Good enough for me. I just need Diet Coke. Nothing fancy like Cherry Coke.
Oh PHX does indeed have a freestyle machine FYI.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:46 pm

Oh PHX does indeed have a freestyle machine FYI.
I couldn't find it in the one I went to the other day (I believe the A20 club). Will check again tomorrow.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA sPLAT, Hyatt Globalist
I wish AA would have beer machines like they do at JL lounges.
Or a table where we could walk up and select our own wine or bubbly.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Hey OP, you post generated over 14K views. So..., what's your take on all the feedback you requested...???
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by madmanshoney
Or a table where we could walk up and select our own wine or bubbly.
its obviously a 100% cost only reason as the FL are all self serve.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
Having a PA to deal with such things is much easier, I don’t have to worry about learning to use those machines.
PA = personal assistant
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
​​​​​​You've made your straw man that a diet coke with cherry syrup from machine is an entirely different product than a diet coke with cherry syrup from a bartender's fountain already.
It's not a strawman. It's a fact. Having stocked coke machines and ordered, I know what goes in them isn't the same stuff behind the bar. A poster above showed how a freestyle machine works with syrup, but it is a different syrup than available over the counter.

I have no idea why you're just acting like it is the same thing. Maybe you can't taste the difference, but that doesn't mean it is identical.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Antarius
It's not a strawman. It's a fact. Having stocked coke machines and ordered, I know what goes in them isn't the same stuff behind the bar. A poster above showed how a freestyle machine works with syrup, but it is a different syrup than available over the counter.

I have no idea why you're just acting like it is the same thing. Maybe you can't taste the difference, but that doesn't mean it is identical.
You stated it was "on par with" responding to the question "Hey, where are the restrooms?" with "Let me tell you about an exciting new Barclays offer" he replied.
That seems an obvious overstatement.

It also remains irrelevant to the point that it is inherently humiliating. The bartender may have been honestly mistaken, the bartender might have been just wrong. That doesn't mean she "humiliated" the OP by offering the wrong drink. (And if she was out of the preferred cherry syrup--offering grenadine, or pointing you to the freestyle machine--would not only not be humiliating, but fantastic customer service--even if it was not the precise drink that the OP wanted.) If you find it humiliating to be offered the diet coke with cherry syrup provided by the freestyle machine, you probably should be flying private.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You stated it was "on par with" responding to the question "Hey, where are the restrooms?" with "Let me tell you about an exciting new Barclays offer" he replied.
That seems an obvious overstatement.

It also remains irrelevant to the point that it is inherently humiliating. The bartender may have been honestly mistaken, the bartender might have been just wrong. That doesn't mean she "humiliated" the OP by offering the wrong drink. (And if she was out of the preferred cherry syrup--offering grenadine, or pointing you to the freestyle machine--would not only not be humiliating, but fantastic customer service--even if it was not the precise drink that the OP wanted.) If you find it humiliating to be offered the diet coke with cherry syrup provided by the freestyle machine, you probably should be flying private.
I did not say I was humiliated, but I did agree with the OP that it was poor customer service. Clearly the club was not out of the necessary ingredients as the other bartender made the requested drink. As someone who was in the consulting industry (and the concessions and service industry years before), the end result is ensuring the customer is happy, no matter how silly I think their request is.

Simply put, you keep defending poor service from AA. This is a service industry, not "here for your safety" as they keep attempting to convince people of.
knit-in likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Antarius
I did not say I was humiliated, but I did agree with the OP that it was poor customer service. Clearly the club was not out of the necessary ingredients as the other bartender made the requested drink. As someone who was in the consulting industry (and the concessions and service industry years before), the end result is ensuring the customer is happy, no matter how silly I think their request is.

Simply put, you keep defending poor service from AA. This is a service industry, not "here for your safety" as they keep attempting to convince people of.
While I am impressed by your impressive credentials, the OP used the term humiliation.

As has been repeatedly stated, one can acknowledge that this may not have been perfect service without calling for summary execution, or even termination, of the bartender. And one can do so without adopting the disdainful attitude so many commenters in this thread seem to have for the human beings that work in service jobs. An Admirals Club (or it's contractor's) employee's job is not to make a customer happy at any cost; after all, Flyertalk makes very clear that there are some customers who will likely never be happy. The customer is not always right, and that outmoded model of thinking has been rightfully rejected over the past decades...even in the consulting and beverage industries.
​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​
​​​​​​
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 26, 2022 at 8:58 pm
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:25 am

I couldn't find it in the one I went to the other day (I believe the A20 club). Will check again tomorrow.
To update my response, the A6/A7 PHX AC does have a freestyle machine. A20 does not.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
To update my response, the A6/A7 PHX AC does have a freestyle machine. A20 does not.
A20 is already impractically tight with all the ad-hoc food stations that have been added. I don't know where they'd put a machine without removing existing serving areas/seating or downsizing the tiny bar.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by Tintin
When you are at ORD club and need any help, look for Lana.
Should we mention that a 160k+ miles DYKWIA in suit referred us to her?
U!
Adam1222 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.