Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Problems with a lounge bartender (How would you handle a situation like this?)

Old Apr 26, 22, 3:06 pm
  #166  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; AC 75K; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
ATL doesn't have a freestyle machine but they do have old style self service taps for coke, etc. They are right out of the 80's.
Good enough for me. I just need Diet Coke. Nothing fancy like Cherry Coke.
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 3:09 pm
  #167  
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,010
Obviously you're either blind or only choosing to reading the words you want to read from OPs post while ignoring the parts where an employee mocks OP for asking for a soda.

I'll go with the 1st option.

Remind yourself that the bartender is in the customer service industry. showing absolutely zero customer service if they're going to mock the person they're trained to serve.


Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Showing customer how to use a machine = mocking a customer multiple times in a span of minutes. Unless you were there and have more info than the OPs melodramatic reference to "humiliation"...

Other posters have said they love the bartender folks think this was. Part of being a good bartender is having a personality. If it weren't, you might as well just have a robotic machine that dispenses diet coke with cherry syrup that customers can use without needing to interact with humans. Wait a minute maybe I'm onto something....
knit-in and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by aztimm; Apr 26, 22 at 5:35 pm Reason: removed o/t personal info
Gertjaars is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 3:11 pm
  #168  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 26,518
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Good enough for me. I just need Diet Coke. Nothing fancy like Cherry Coke.
Oh PHX does indeed have a freestyle machine FYI.
SPN Lifer likes this.
enviroian is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 3:46 pm
  #169  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; AC 75K; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Oh PHX does indeed have a freestyle machine FYI.
I couldn't find it in the one I went to the other day (I believe the A20 club). Will check again tomorrow.
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 6:14 pm
  #170  
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Nat'l Exec Elite & Hertz PC
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I wish AA would have beer machines like they do at JL lounges.
Or a table where we could walk up and select our own wine or bubbly.
madmanshoney is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 6:29 pm
  #171  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ORD-JFK-EZE-MAD
Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Posts: 818
Hey OP, you post generated over 14K views. So..., what's your take on all the feedback you requested...???
jcf27 is online now  
Old Apr 26, 22, 6:40 pm
  #172  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 26,518
Originally Posted by madmanshoney View Post
Or a table where we could walk up and select our own wine or bubbly.
its obviously a 100% cost only reason as the FL are all self serve.
enviroian is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 6:59 pm
  #173  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Posts: 12,466
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague View Post
Having a PA to deal with such things is much easier, I dont have to worry about learning to use those machines.
PA = personal assistant
SPN Lifer is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 7:21 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,656
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
​​​​​​You've made your straw man that a diet coke with cherry syrup from machine is an entirely different product than a diet coke with cherry syrup from a bartender's fountain already.
It's not a strawman. It's a fact. Having stocked coke machines and ordered, I know what goes in them isn't the same stuff behind the bar. A poster above showed how a freestyle machine works with syrup, but it is a different syrup than available over the counter.

I have no idea why you're just acting like it is the same thing. Maybe you can't taste the difference, but that doesn't mean it is identical.
Antarius is online now  
Old Apr 26, 22, 8:07 pm
  #175  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,280
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
It's not a strawman. It's a fact. Having stocked coke machines and ordered, I know what goes in them isn't the same stuff behind the bar. A poster above showed how a freestyle machine works with syrup, but it is a different syrup than available over the counter.

I have no idea why you're just acting like it is the same thing. Maybe you can't taste the difference, but that doesn't mean it is identical.
You stated it was "on par with" responding to the question "Hey, where are the restrooms?" with "Let me tell you about an exciting new Barclays offer" he replied.
That seems an obvious overstatement.

It also remains irrelevant to the point that it is inherently humiliating. The bartender may have been honestly mistaken, the bartender might have been just wrong. That doesn't mean she "humiliated" the OP by offering the wrong drink. (And if she was out of the preferred cherry syrup--offering grenadine, or pointing you to the freestyle machine--would not only not be humiliating, but fantastic customer service--even if it was not the precise drink that the OP wanted.) If you find it humiliating to be offered the diet coke with cherry syrup provided by the freestyle machine, you probably should be flying private.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 8:18 pm
  #176  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,656
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
You stated it was "on par with" responding to the question "Hey, where are the restrooms?" with "Let me tell you about an exciting new Barclays offer" he replied.
That seems an obvious overstatement.

It also remains irrelevant to the point that it is inherently humiliating. The bartender may have been honestly mistaken, the bartender might have been just wrong. That doesn't mean she "humiliated" the OP by offering the wrong drink. (And if she was out of the preferred cherry syrup--offering grenadine, or pointing you to the freestyle machine--would not only not be humiliating, but fantastic customer service--even if it was not the precise drink that the OP wanted.) If you find it humiliating to be offered the diet coke with cherry syrup provided by the freestyle machine, you probably should be flying private.
I did not say I was humiliated, but I did agree with the OP that it was poor customer service. Clearly the club was not out of the necessary ingredients as the other bartender made the requested drink. As someone who was in the consulting industry (and the concessions and service industry years before), the end result is ensuring the customer is happy, no matter how silly I think their request is.

Simply put, you keep defending poor service from AA. This is a service industry, not "here for your safety" as they keep attempting to convince people of.
knit-in likes this.
Antarius is online now  
Old Apr 26, 22, 8:53 pm
  #177  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,280
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I did not say I was humiliated, but I did agree with the OP that it was poor customer service. Clearly the club was not out of the necessary ingredients as the other bartender made the requested drink. As someone who was in the consulting industry (and the concessions and service industry years before), the end result is ensuring the customer is happy, no matter how silly I think their request is.

Simply put, you keep defending poor service from AA. This is a service industry, not "here for your safety" as they keep attempting to convince people of.
While I am impressed by your impressive credentials, the OP used the term humiliation.

As has been repeatedly stated, one can acknowledge that this may not have been perfect service without calling for summary execution, or even termination, of the bartender. And one can do so without adopting the disdainful attitude so many commenters in this thread seem to have for the human beings that work in service jobs. An Admirals Club (or it's contractor's) employee's job is not to make a customer happy at any cost; after all, Flyertalk makes very clear that there are some customers who will likely never be happy. The customer is not always right, and that outmoded model of thinking has been rightfully rejected over the past decades...even in the consulting and beverage industries.
​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​
​​​​​​
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 26, 22 at 8:58 pm
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 8:25 am
  #178  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; AC 75K; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
I couldn't find it in the one I went to the other day (I believe the A20 club). Will check again tomorrow.
To update my response, the A6/A7 PHX AC does have a freestyle machine. A20 does not.
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 10:58 am
  #179  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: NYC/SCF
Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
To update my response, the A6/A7 PHX AC does have a freestyle machine. A20 does not.
A20 is already impractically tight with all the ad-hoc food stations that have been added. I don't know where they'd put a machine without removing existing serving areas/seating or downsizing the tiny bar.
NYC Flyer is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 8:31 pm
  #180  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Programs: FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Spire, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Posts: 565
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
When you are at ORD club and need any help, look for Lana.
Should we mention that a 160k+ miles DYKWIA in suit referred us to her?
U!
Adam1222 likes this.
ulxima is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread