Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

Upgrading aa flight - ticket purchased in ba.com

Old Apr 20, 22, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Hi, I am flying MAD-CLT in Premium Economy in AA.
Ticket was purchased through BA.COM
I am a gold IBERIAPLUS Member. No status with AA.

I want to upgrade to business, cabin is wide open.
BA.COM does not allow me to upgrade in their site (maybe because it is a flight operated by AA)...AA does not allow me to upgrade on their site....maybe trying cash at the airport?
Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
Old Apr 20, 22, 11:05 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Just because business class is wide open for full purchase, this doesn't mean it's available for upgrades. If you paid a fully unrestricted Y(Coach) fare, you may be able to upgrade with Avios, though I don't know how many points it would be. Assuming you are in a fully unrestricted Y fare, you could check with the Iberia Avios (if your miles are in an Iberia account) customer service and see what your options are.

If you're not on a Y fare, you could wait to see if AA offers paid upgrades either on day of flight, or in advance in the AA app. You would want to get the AA record number so you can check your flight in the AA app (or online).
chejus likes this.
Old Apr 20, 22, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is upgrade (C) availability wide open or are you just seeing a lot of empty seats on the map? Those two are not the same thing.
Old Apr 20, 22, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chejus View Post
Hi, I am flying MAD-CLT in Premium Economy in AA.
Ticket was purchased through BA.COM
I am a gold IBERIAPLUS Member. No status with AA.

I want to upgrade to business, cabin is wide open.
BA.COM does not allow me to upgrade in their site (maybe because it is a flight operated by AA)...AA does not allow me to upgrade on their site....maybe trying cash at the airport?
Any other suggestions?
BA and/or AA flight numbers?
Does "Ticket was purchased through BA.COM" mean a cash paid ticket?

--->AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
chejus likes this.
Old Apr 21, 22, 6:33 am
Original Poster

@nole1 ExpertFlyer shows C7, so I assume it's quite empty.
Old Apr 21, 22, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
@nole1 ExpertFlyer shows C7, so I assume it's quite empty.
Just confirm you're searching EF using the awards and upgrades function, not flight availability, and searching segment by segment...?
Old Apr 21, 22, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Just confirm you're searching EF using the awards and upgrades function, not flight availability, and searching segment by segment...?
yes,
There are 7 seats for purchase in business class
and seven seats available for award in expert flyer.

the only segment is MAD-CLT
Old Apr 21, 22, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
yes,
There are 7 seats for purchase in business class
and seven seats available for award in expert flyer.

the only segment is MAD-CLT
Cool, just confirming.

But again, since you booked with BA seeing C upgrade space is mostly irrelevant unless you booked a full Y fare.
Old Apr 21, 22, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Cool, just confirming.

But again, since you booked with BA seeing C upgrade space is mostly irrelevant unless you booked a full Y fare.
Ok, I have a premium economy ticket, which is not Y, nor the full fare premium economy ticket.
I was thinking that maybe in the american airlines app there would be a button that would let me bid for an upgrade, or pay for an upgrade, or something like that. But I don't see it.

I now understand that if I want to upgrade I will have to ask at the counter as I check in.

Thank you
Old Apr 21, 22, 9:14 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Ok, I have a premium economy ticket, which is not Y, nor the full fare premium economy ticket.
I was thinking that maybe in the american airlines app there would be a button that would let me bid for an upgrade, or pay for an upgrade, or something like that. But I don't see it.

I now understand that if I want to upgrade I will have to ask at the counter as I check in.

Thank you
You could also look into up-faring your Premium Economy ticket to full fare (W). But first check with your Avios program to insure you would be able to use Avios points to upgrade a full fare Premium Economy ticket to Business class for your specific flight.

Offers in the app - if they are even given - will be any time from now until date of flight. You would see it when you open the reservation. If you don't get an offer, and still see J with seats available to sell on day of flight, you could ask at the airport.

Search this Thread