Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage; Oneworld
Worth boosting to gold?

I have 22 e500s, all purchased over the years. Fell to kettle 3 years ago. I can boost to gold for $1275. It would be worth it to me if I felt confident that AdvantageDesk would convert my 22 stickers at 5k miles each.

My wife is gold and has 2. Was considering boosting and then calling in together.

Would love some feedback from this group.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by penguinswim
I have 22 e500s, all purchased over the years. Fell to kettle 3 years ago. I can boost to gold for $1275. It would be worth it to me if I felt confident that AdvantageDesk would convert my 22 stickers at 5k miles each.

My wife is gold and has 2. Was considering boosting and then calling in together.

I was told that now that the companion upgrades are gratis, there are no other options but conversion to LPs.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: Grounded
I guess I bought several many years back and the agent immediately saw them. Instead of giving me any options she just went straight to refund to card, which is fine by me in this case (250 LPs each mean nothing to me). I specifically mentioned miles conversion in my request but oh well. I've been no status for a while so I'm not overly surprised.

Oh I guess no status members only get the LP conversion, no refund options. Skimmed the thread but didn't see that was a hard and fast rule. Sounded like she was reading from some policy document

Last edited by MrPink; Jul 19, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by penguinswim

That's a pretty big risk.

I would call in, ask for the miles, and when you are refused, mention that you have an offer to boost your status to gold and ask if the answer would be different if you were gold.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jul 20, 2022 at 8:27 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That's a pretty big risk.

I would call in, ask for the miles, and when you are refused, mention that you have an offer to boost your status to gold and all of the answer would be different if you were gold.
The first time I called I was a few thousand LP short of Gold. I was advised to call back after I qualified in order to have more options. I was not specifically promised a 5000-mile option though. After qualifying the second agent still only offered a refund. Currently waiting on the email from customer service to see what my real choices are.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by _kurt
The first time I called I was a few thousand LP short of Gold. I was advised to call back after I qualified in order to have more options. I was not specifically promised a 5000-mile option though. After qualifying the second agent still only offered a refund. Currently waiting on the email from customer service to see what my real choices are.
For what it's worth, when I called (as a Platinum) the agent told me the same thing. I pushed her to send me the form and when I received it a week or two later it had all 4 options like everyone else.
_kurt, nk15 and VegasGambler like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Finally got a response from the AAdvantage folks and here's what they offered me based on 13 of my 25 500-mile upgrades being purchased....

A. 3,250 Loyalty Points (250 LPs x 13 purchased 500-mile upgrades)

B. 65,000 AAdvantage bonus miles (5,000 bonus miles x 13 purchased 500-mile upgrades)

C. Travel Voucher of $430 (the total I paid for 13 500-mile upgrades)

D. Refund of $430 to the original form of payment (in my case the Barclay Aviator MasterCard)
_kurt likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
When is this conversion happening? I thought it was a hard and fast set date that has come and gone (July 14, 2022?). Or is this going to be in waves to work out the bugs as they occur rather than pulling te trigger on every one in the database?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
When is this conversion happening? I thought it was a hard and fast set date that has come and gone (July 14, 2022?). Or is this going to be in waves to work out the bugs as they occur rather than pulling te trigger on every one in the database?
My AA wallet still shows all my 500-mile upgrades as available. No conversion of those ones into Loyalty Points for me yet.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:35 pm

zacnlinc, That’s not what AA said. End of July.
Zacnlinc and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:11 am

AAdvantage teaching their staff to lie to customers

Originally Posted by IMH
As a data point: AA has refused to exchange the small number of purchased 500-mile upgrades on my account for miles, or to refund them. Their position is that I have not held AAdvantage status for some time (since 02/2011) and therefore can't expect a more positive response.
Well for my part - a supervisor just lied to me that NO ONE EVER has been offered miles in exchange for their paid e500 stickers - never happened never will I was just told - HOWEVER if I don't like this answer I can email and obscure address and tell them so.
I thought, well what good does that do me, I thought, just a way to divert me away from complaining on Social...but now I am convinced its the only way to actually get the miles SOME people have been getting - after two hours on the phone I gave in to the refund plan (we shall see) but should have kept fighting it out - truly this conversion scheme is manipulative and dishonest - they make the customer go to the wall and get angry - if truly no one is getting miles, so be it - but if some are and some are not, that is WRONG
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:18 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk, mgallimore!

Originally Posted by mgallimore
[...] if I don't like this answer I can email and obscure address and tell them so.
Would you care to share that email with the board? I gave up, but others might wish to follow up further. Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
My AA wallet still shows all my 500-mile upgrades as available. No conversion of those ones into Loyalty Points for me yet.
I'm also still waiting. Assume we'll see it on August 1 as nothing has come through yet.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The conversion of the non-purchased upgrades has now posted.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by armus
The conversion of the non-purchased upgrades has now posted.
Hmm. Not for me.
bosman and Segments like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.