Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I was literally about to search for this thread-and its the first one...very helpful.

I converted all of the 500 mile certs I purchased to miles.

Still have 12 left. I thought they converted automatically at some point to miles or points???
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I was literally about to search for this thread-and its the first one...very helpful.

I converted all of the 500 mile certs I purchased to miles.

Still have 12 left. I thought they converted automatically at some point to miles or points???
They will eventually convert automatically to LP, but 500s are still used for companion upgrades. So that conversion won’t occur until later this year once the 500s are fully retired.
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
500 mile upgrades swapped for loyalty points!

Hope this isn't a duplicate thread but I didn't see any others yet.

Just got the notice from AA that 500 mile upgrades will be swapped for loyalty points. Seems a little like fraud but I'm not sure exactly. I remember a promotion a few years ago where AA sold 500 mile upgrades which I purchased but had not had a chance to use. I was planning to use them some day. And now they will gone... poof! Turned into LP that will expire likely without me being able to derive any benefit as I will probably not be travelling before they expire. Doesn't seem legal.
Spiff, TheDudeAbides and Morty1944 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sweet!! finally! I got the email too
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
how many points per cert? I have some I'd like to offload.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:07 pm

250 LP per cert.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azmojo
I was planning to use them some day. And now they will gone... poof!
Everything that you could possibly use them for is now free. Would you like to keep them for posterity?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Does that mean that companion upgrades are free now? Because my itinerary is still showing stickers needed for companion.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Does that mean that companion upgrades are free now? Because my itinerary is still showing stickers needed for companion.
Refresh the itinerary, all mine now show as complimentary.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Just got the notice from AA that 500 mile upgrades will be swapped for loyalty points. Seems a little like fraud but I'm not sure exactly. I remember a promotion a few years ago where AA sold 500 mile upgrades which I purchased but had not had a chance to use. I was planning to use them some day. And now they will gone... poof! Turned into LP that will expire likely without me being able to derive any benefit as I will probably not be travelling before they expire. Doesn't seem legal.
how do you do this? Go to your AA wallet and is there a function to swap for Loser Points?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
From the email:

Starting July 14, we're expanding your upgrade benefits to include a complimentary upgrade for one companion traveling with you. You’ll no longer need 500-mile upgrades — upgrades for AAdvantage® status members plus one companion are complimentary on flights within North America.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
Refresh the itinerary, all mine now show as complimentary.
Cool! Thank you!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

I'm confused. This is isn't exactly news. It was announced back in February. Or are you saying that you've actually seen the conversion in your account? Because that would be news.

Article from Feb: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...lite-upgrades/

At least one existing FT thread here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...n-options.html
dw, jerry a. laska, aztimm and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
I haven't received any communication from AA regarding LPs
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I can't even figure out how many 500 upgrades I have in my account. I've looked at my AADV account on aa.com and I can't seem to find them anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.