Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
So just want to clarify - the "enhanced" trade-in offers only apply to PURCHASED 500 mile upgrades, not "earned" the old fashioned way (12.5K EQM per four or whatever) - is that correct?
njvandy and _kurt like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
May 27. Telephoned AAdvantage Customer Service and requested alternative exchange options for purchased unused 500-mile upgrade stickers.

June 8. Received email with exchange options for the 500-mile upgrades which AA's internal records indicate I had purchased.

June 8. Responded to email, selecting AAdvantage bonus miles offered per upgrade.

June 10. Correct number of 500-mile upgrades deducted from my online wallet. Correct amount of award miles added to available award miles in my online account. The complimentary 500-mile upgrades are still in my online wallet and have not been converted to Loyalty Points.

Originally Posted by no1cub17
So just want to clarify - the "enhanced" trade-in offers only apply to PURCHASED 500 mile upgrades, not "earned" the old fashioned way (12.5K EQM per four or whatever) - is that correct?
Correct.
_kurt likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 14, 2022 at 3:35 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Question Telephone response

Called Aaadvantage customer service to find out number of purchased v. earned 500 mile upgrade certs. Agent had a response almost immediately that sounded accurate. Asked about options for conversations and received the stock answer they would be converted to 250 LP each later in the year. Pressed the issue and was asked to wait while supervisor was consulted. A few minutes later came back to say options for purchased e-certs was either 250 LP or refund back to original form of purchase. Affer advising agent that others had been given the option of 5000 FF miles, she again consulted her supervisor and was told that was not an option. Seems like different people at AA have different info to dispense.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Seems like different people at AA have different info to dispense.
"Welcome to the party pal!"
LadyShiva and rjburns like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by marlee1421
Called Aaadvantage customer service to find out number of purchased v. earned 500 mile upgrade certs. Agent had a response almost immediately that sounded accurate. Asked about options for conversations and received the stock answer they would be converted to 250 LP each later in the year. Pressed the issue and was asked to wait while supervisor was consulted. A few minutes later came back to say options for purchased e-certs was either 250 LP or refund back to original form of purchase. Affer advising agent that others had been given the option of 5000 FF miles, she again consulted her supervisor and was told that was not an option. Seems like different people at AA have different info to dispense.
Genuinely curious as to why AA agents seem to have such discrepancies with their info, particularly amongst the so-called "elite agents." You'd think there'd be standardized training and company-wide memos whenever something new comes out, such as the 500-mile conversion option.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by marlee1421
I got this exact same response. Agent put me on hold for 10 minutes to "speak to a supervisor". When she came back she said "I guess I can file the form for you and we'll see what they offer you". About 2 weeks later I got an email offering me the same menu as everyone else.
LadyShiva likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It sounds like the line is trying to discourage/trick you from getting anything else than the LPs, or at least try a couple of times...
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
It sounds like the line is trying to discourage/trick you from getting anything else than the LPs, or at least try a couple of times...
Yeah, I'm sure that the EXP agents sit up at night worrying that people are getting too many miles for their 500 mile upgrades.

This is a really niche request. Most people who have 500 mile upgrades don't know that they are going away or what they are getting for them. It's not surprising that many agents don't know exactly what's offered, especially since it's unpublished.
ksucats likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I was not referring to the individual agents, but rather if there is a corporate memo to supervisors/agents or something, for example "re-iterate that upgrades are non refundable and will be converted to 250 LPs, and if the customer insists, bla bla bla."

Which I guess is not different from the stated policy and them doing occasional exemptions, with or without memos....

Last edited by nk15; Jun 11, 2022 at 8:22 am
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
I was not referring to the individual agents, but rather if there is a corporate memo to supervisors/agents or something, for example "re-iterate that upgrades are non refundable and will be converted to 250 LPs, and if the customer insists, bla bla bla."

Which I guess is not different from the stated policy and them doing occasional exemptions, with or without memos....
It seems unlikely.

Remember that agents probably field several hundred calls to accept a 5-10 minute schedule change for every 1 call they field about 500 mile upgrades.

On the good side, it's been a whole week since I've had to call in to accept a schedule change, and I have 6 trips booked. That has to be a record.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Million Miler (Gold)
Called the Gold service desk today and was told that they (the customer service reps) have still not been told a date for the conversion or the full details, but that customers will be offered either loyalty points OR MILES. Not clear if she meant all customers or just those with any kind of status. I had initially complained that conversion of my 47 500-mile upgrades (all earned, none purchased as far as I can remember) to loyalty points is of no value to me, since I have permanent Gold status, and I'm now retired with no business travel and very little chance that I could reach Platinum this year. Seems like she was well aware of this type of complaint, so maybe they have been taking customer feedback into account before finalizing the conversion.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by strongkv
Called the Gold service desk today and was told that they (the customer service reps) have still not been told a date for the conversion or the full details, but that customers will be offered either loyalty points OR MILES. Not clear if she meant all customers or just those with any kind of status. I had initially complained that conversion of my 47 500-mile upgrades (all earned, none purchased as far as I can remember) to loyalty points is of no value to me, since I have permanent Gold status, and I'm now retired with no business travel and very little chance that I could reach Platinum this year. Seems like she was well aware of this type of complaint, so maybe they have been taking customer feedback into account before finalizing the conversion.
Seems unlikely. Why would they refund you a bunch of miles for something you didn’t pay for? You had earned a limited number of upgrades, now they’re effectively giving you more already with this change.

My spouse was targeted for a promotion and got 20 500 milers along with Platinum status. Didn’t end up using any of them. It would be absurd to offer the option of nearly an entire free business class ticket to Europe to someone like this.
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by javabytes; Jun 14, 2022 at 11:35 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:18 am

I was gold and platinum for a few years when I first started flying, before achieving EXP regularly. I have never paid for any e500 stickers. I emailed AA, stating that LP did nothing for me as I was currently EXP and would hit EXP again this year. I then asked for similar offers as those with paid upgrades. AA replied a few weeks later, and did offer 5K miles as a conciliatory offer. Better than nothing.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Which would you pick?

Dear M……

I am reaching out to you to follow-up on your request for more options
to exchange your purchased 500-mile upgrades. I appreciate the
opportunity to assist an AAdvantage Platinum® member.

Based on our internal records, 18 of your 23 unused 500-mile upgrades
were purchased. While your complimentary upgrades will be automatically
converted to 250 Loyalty Points each later this year, we can offer you
the following refund options for the 18 purchased and unused 500-mile
upgrades:

A. 4,500 Loyalty Points (250 Loyalty Points x 18 purchased 500-mile
upgrades)
B. 90,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles(5,000 bonus miles x 18 purchased
500-mile upgrades)
C. Travel Voucher of $720 (the paid amount associated with your 18
purchased 500-mile upgrades)
D. Refund of $720 to the original form of payment or check depending on
when your upgrades were purchased

Once you have decided on a preferred option, please respond to this
e-mail directly and I will ensure the exchange is promptly executed. I
look forward to hearing from you and helping to bring closure to this
issue.

Best regards,…..
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Why would they refund you a bunch of miles for something you didn’t pay for? You had earned a limited number of upgrades, now they’re effectively giving you more already with this change.
The amount they're worth is debatable, but the upgrades should be worth something because they were part of the inducement to fly as GLD and PLT; saving them up was supposed to give you the option to upgrade without competing with everyone else. It's not the case that "they’re effectively giving you more already", since upgrades are zero-sum, and free upgrades for all elites will push some down the priority list.
LadyShiva and nk15 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.