500-mile upgrade conversion options?

Old May 26, 22, 1:29 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY View Post
It took them a little while to get back to me, but I was offered the same options essentially. I took 5000 miles per sticker. A whopping 400k. Thanks AA.
Miles? Or LPs?
Old May 26, 22, 1:35 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Just got off the phone with customer service.

They offered a full refund of all 500-mile stickers that I purchased. Problem is that they were essentially free since I used the AMEX $200 credits on my 3 Platinum Cards.

250 LPs per it is for me, I guess.
Old May 26, 22, 1:44 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Miles? Or LPs?
RDM. Miles.

The other offers were 250 LP or cash/travel voucher refund at $30 per.
355F1 likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
So for those of us who have "free" (not paid) upgrades, is there any possibility to convert these into miles? Or is it just LPs?
Old May 26, 22, 2:50 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
So for those of us who have "free" (not paid) upgrades, is there any possibility to convert these into miles? Or is it just LPs?
The letter said I get 250 LP for the earned ones. So, nope. This is clearly about an accommodation only for people who paid $30-40 for them.
Old May 26, 22, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY View Post
The letter said I get 250 LP for the earned ones. So, nope. This is clearly about an accommodation only for people who paid $30-40 for them.
Thanks. Well, considering they have no value for me living abroad.. and practically were useless for the past 10 years anyway...
sdsearch likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
Thanks. Well, considering they have no value for me living abroad.. and practically were useless for the past 10 years anyway...
Not just for those abroad, someone mentioned 250 LPs are worthless if you have lifetime PLT and won't near PPRO/EXP this year.
sdsearch likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 7:06 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Just got off the phone with customer service.

They offered a full refund of all 500-mile stickers that I purchased. Problem is that they were essentially free since I used the AMEX $200 credits on my 3 Platinum Cards.

250 LPs per it is for me, I guess.
Why does it matter that AMEX reimbursed you? You still bought the stickers! Plus, how would AA know?
Old May 26, 22, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
Why does it matter that AMEX reimbursed you? You still bought the stickers! Plus, how would AA know?
It matters because Amex would claw back the statement credit if the charge was refunded
Old May 26, 22, 8:43 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
See below

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
It matters because Amex would claw back the statement credit if the charge was refunded
Old May 27, 22, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PLT; Globalist
Last week I called the AAdvantage desk also and had the same experience as Maxwell Smart in post #15 above. At first no option was given, just that I'd get 250 LP per upgrade. But when I mentioned I heard there were other options especially since I paid for the upgrades, the agent said she would refer me to someone else who would contact me with options. I requested they email me so I would have it in writing as it seemed they were going to call me initially.

About a week later I received an email with my "offer" similar to others (Exec Platinums?) who had paid 500 mile upgrades in their account.
The offers were:
- 250 LP per upgrade
- travel voucher for value of paid upgrades
- cash refund for value of paid upgrades (check or to original form of payment, the latter might be messy with closed accounts and/or Amex potential clawbacks)
- 5000 AA miles (RDM) per upgrade

I took the 5000 miles per upgrade.

The remainder of my earned upgrades (from long ago) will be converted to 250 LP per upgrade per the email and consistent with what others have noted.
Old May 27, 22, 9:21 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
It depends how long ago the upgrades were purchased. The other option, 5,000 RDMs, is a good deal, better than the ridiculous per-mile cost of Mileage Multiplier that many of us resort to using the AmEx credit towards.
Old May 27, 22, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
It depends how long ago the upgrades were purchased. The other option, 5,000 RDMs, is a good deal, better than the ridiculous per-mile cost of Mileage Multiplier that many of us resort to using the AmEx credit towards.
I would take 5k miles over $40 for sure (which is to say, I would pay $40 for 5k miles) Once you are under 1c per mile, almost every flight becomes worth booking with miles instead of cash. 0.8c per mile is ridiculously cheap.
Old May 27, 22, 9:58 am

Does anyone know how AA sorts out which e500s were paid for, which were earned, and which were complimentary? A few years ago I was given 10 upgrades free due to my Hyatt status. Since then I’ve used some and also bought some. I guess now I feel foolish having stocked up on these before I was down to zero but AA held on to the sticker system so long and so tightly I didn’t anticipate it going away this year.

Do they track them individually first-in, first-out? I haven’t called yet since I was hoping AA would adjust the conversion value for everyone. Calculating how many of my remaining upgrades were paid for seems complicated to impossible since I don’t know AA’s method.
Old May 27, 22, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
Not just for those abroad, someone mentioned 250 LPs are worthless if you have lifetime PLT and won't near PPRO/EXP this year.
That would be me. It does give us a 12 month boost on LPs for upgrade priority, though given big cc spenders and elimination of the sticker requirements, I expect this increases my chance of an upgrade from "absolutely zero" to "very, very, very unlikely".

Search this Thread