500-mile upgrade conversion options?

Old Apr 19, 22, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I have (as noted above) 41 stickers. I got 36 in older years when I was gold or plat, and bought 5 last year to use my otherwise-fallow Amex credit.

I would be reallyupset if I had paid real cash money for them.

I've actually never used one.
Old Apr 19, 22, 4:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Iím following this thread. I currently have 63 stickers on my account, some of which I bought, but my status just ended. I have quite a few paid F flights queued up and I also find the loyalty points not helpful. Iíve written to customer relations and asked them to FWD to AAdvantage.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 22, 5:05 pm
Formerly known as Oleg

Programs: AA Platinum, United, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Finnaly got someone from AAdvantage. No she does not see any way to convert 500 miles upgrades. She said you can use it to upgrade somebody else in the next 2 month. And then you will get 250 LP for each 500miles sticker, which is pretty much useless.
Old Apr 19, 22, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just waited 20 minutes on hold and gave up for now
Old Apr 19, 22, 5:17 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP), MPC Gold, AS MVP
I think your normal AAdvantage CS agent is either unaware of the offer or isn't able to offer an alternative...it has to come from a manager.

Going off of my experience that I described above, this was the first email I got from an AAdvantage CS rep:

Hello CLT,
With all status members earning free domestic upgrades, we needed to do something with the 500 mile upgrades since they will no longer be used. We decided to convert them to Loyalty Points, and there is not another conversion or refund option. I am sorry for any disappointment this news may bring, but I do want to thank you for your participation in our program and your status with us.
Regards,
XXX

I pushed back with this email:

Hi XXX

I appreciate the response.

As I noted in my initial response, I submitted a refund request form on 1 March for the 5 upgrades that were purchased on 2 January (Record Locator ABCDEF).

If upgrade certificates are non-refundable like you claim, why did I receive a refund for $40 (one upgrade certificate) on 2 March (Refund Record Locator FGHIJK)? Surely if an exception was made to refund one of the certificates, the remaining four certificates can also be refunded? It isn't like the capability to refund the certificates does not exist.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,
CLT

The agent sent this back:

Hi CLT,

I don't want to promise anything, but I have escalated your refund request for review. Please allow 7-10 business days for a resolution.

Best Regards,
XXX

I got a call after exactly 10 business days from an Executive Liaison at AAdvantage who gave me the offer.
Old Apr 19, 22, 7:40 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Iím holding 86. That would be a windfall at 5000 per. Messaged them just now.
rjburns and Cali Rob like this.
Old Apr 19, 22, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
It would be nice to get something of tangible value for my 108 stickers. But I know that words from TPG aren't worth their weight in cocaine.
Old Apr 19, 22, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by UASkif View Post
Finnaly got someone from AAdvantage. No she does not see any way to convert 500 miles upgrades. She said you can use it to upgrade somebody else in the next 2 month. And then you will get 250 LP for each 500miles sticker, which is pretty much useless.
So aren't all upgrades free now? What is this "upgrade somebody in the next two months?"

I kind of wonder, when they make a huge change like this (LP's and free upgrades), do they have anyone anywhere who vets this stuff. Like maybe 2 gold's, 2 plat's, 2 PPros, 2 EXP's, and 2 CK's, who are sworn to secrecy, and then they say "Here's what we're thinking of doing, tell me what unintended consequences it will have, if any?" When you consider that based on the financials, AAdvantage is worth more than the airline itself, you'd think they'd be really careful.
Old Apr 20, 22, 1:44 am

yes.
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
So aren't all upgrades free now? What is this "upgrade somebody in the next two months?"

I kind of wonder, when they make a huge change like this (LP's and free upgrades), do they have anyone anywhere who vets this stuff. Like maybe 2 gold's, 2 plat's, 2 PPros, 2 EXP's, and 2 CK's, who are sworn to secrecy, and then they say "Here's what we're thinking of doing, tell me what unintended consequences it will have, if any?" When you consider that based on the financials, AAdvantage is worth more than the airline itself, you'd think they'd be really careful.
Old Apr 20, 22, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post

I was able to upgrade my fiancťe with two certificates on one flight. There were no elites on it (Sunday morning flight to Florida). On the return flight on a Wednesday afternoon, we were at the bottom of the upgrade list. It's possible to use the certificates in the next two months but it's very difficult if you are a Gold level flyer.
Old Apr 20, 22, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Do we have a date when they will no longer be needed to upgrade companions?

I have 6, paid for @$40 each. The might be useful as a Plat pro (with minimal LPs) on LAX-SFO - but they've cut the frequency so much and it's so much more than the competition that I'm not sure.

Just realized, my no status wife has 15 of these. I was about to write in but the Contact us via email for Aadvantage account service does not allow emails!!!!! It just redirects to FAQs!!

So no choice but long holds.

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 20, 22 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 20, 22, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Do we have a date when they will no longer be needed to upgrade companions?
Originally Posted by UASkif View Post
Finnaly got someone from AAdvantage. No she does not see any way to convert 500 miles upgrades. She said you can use it to upgrade somebody else in the next 2 month.
The agent UASkif spoke with seems to think 2 months from now, which could be July 1st? Who knows if thatís correct. What AA has stated publicly is that the conversion to LP will take place at the same time companion upgrades are made complimentary.
Old Apr 20, 22, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Ti
I have 67 that have been sitting in my account for ages. Don't remember which # I bought.

How far back can AA keep track of when you bought the cert?
Old Apr 20, 22, 3:08 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The ticket number database only goes back 2-3 years. Iíve still got the receipts. Do you keep an email archive rather than deleting? Maybe they have some other way.

Search by eTDS for older e500s
Old Apr 22, 22, 8:38 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Converting 500-mile upgrade "stickers" to miles

I apologize if there is a thread for this but I couldn't find it...

I am a lifetime PLT member on AA (4MM+) so with the new rules of converting them into Loyalty points for status... well, that's kind of useless for me.

Has anyone been successful in converting them into miles and at what rate should one expect?

They have stated that they would consider accommodations for members not happy with Loyalty points... apparently per the Points Guy.

I have 24...

Thanks

Search this Thread