Disproportionate pricing of awards?

Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Disproportionate pricing of awards?

Is it just for what I'm trying to book, or is it typical for the award price for PE to be disproportionately high, compared to either economy or business?

I was looking at ITH-PHL-MAD/BCN, one way, for October. AA flies nonstop both MAD and BCN. The award amounts and cash fares are:

Economy - 25,000 miles or $660
Premium Economy - 75,000 miles or $940
Business - 110,00 miles or $5,880.

Compared to the cash fares, the mileage redemption amounts seem high for PE and low for J.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Is it just for what I'm trying to book, or is it typical for the award price for PE to be disproportionately high, compared to either economy or business?

I was looking at ITH-PHL-MAD/BCN, one way, for October. AA flies nonstop both MAD and BCN. The award amounts and cash fares are:

Economy - 25,000 miles or $660
Premium Economy - 75,000 miles or $940
Business - 110,00 miles or $5,880.

Compared to the cash fares, the mileage redemption amounts seem high for PE and low for J.
I booked a one way PE ticket in October for TPE-> NRT-> DFW on JAL and AA planes. In early March it was available for 50k. Now it's not even available and NRT->DFW alone in PE is 75k to 80k for October.
It appears to me due to the high oil prices they have massively increased miles required for many flights on AA metal. Though we can still find good deals on partner flights if available.
On AA metal almost everything is double or triple compare to 2021 prices for the same dates in the summer.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Cash prices and award prices do not necessarily correspond on AA. I have no idea why.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This is typical, sometimes the award pricing makes sense (somewhat) in relation to cash prices and sometimes it doesn't make any sense at all. Don't lose sleep over it.
LETTERBOY and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This is typical, sometimes the award pricing makes sense (somewhat) in relation to cash prices and sometimes it doesn't make any sense at all. Don't lose sleep over it.
Oh, I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it! I only noticed this because I was booking a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona, and wanted to see what flights might be available.

I probably won't have enough miles for J, but at the current pricing it would make sense just to buy them.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I was looking at ITH-PHL-MAD/BCN, one way, for October. AA flies nonstop both MAD and BCN.
If you are willing to get yourself from ITH to JFK (either by bus or one-way car rental), I would continually monitor award availability on IB's JFK-MAD nonstops. When available, that should price at 57.5K miles + ~ $125 in cash for Business Class. (I think that there is currently an issue with AA's ability to display IB award-seat availability, but one hopes that that will be resolved well before October.)

And if you have -- or can get -- some Iberia Plus Avios, JFK-MAD on IB Business should price at just 38K Avios plus reasonable fees, as most October dates are considered "off-peak" on IB's award calendar.

Flying out of ITH is a joy, but sometimes not the best origination for award (or cash) air travel.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 19, 2022 at 6:03 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
FWIW, I am seeing Premium Economy for 40K AA miles + $95-$110 for JFK-MAD on IB, or SYR-ORD-MAD on AA/IB. Whether this is "phantom" IB availability I cannot say:

Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I'd say it's a great thing that awards pricing doesn't follow cash value of tickets......this allows for great mileage deals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.