Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Update on Federal Mask Mandate (April 18: masks no longer required)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Update on Federal Mask Mandate (April 18: masks no longer required)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
And it looks like masks are now optional on Uber. I have a trip to NYC tomorrow. Trying to think of a reason to take a mask.
I have a 5pm flight tonight from SDF to DCA and I fully intend to have zero masks on my person or in my baggage. Can. Not. Wait.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
OK Boys, do you suppose that this excellent news will extend to International ie London? I gather, and please correct me if I am wrong,, that if the country does not have a mandatory rule that it is optional. It was so ridiculous being able to go through LHR with all the crowds at times and no one wore masks, only to have to don them getting aboard an aircraft.

I just hope that this is not a false dawn like BA announcing the end of their mandatory policy and turning 180° practically with the same breath. However, if anyone on an AA flight other than a Flight Attendant enforcing AA rules makes a fuss over me not wearing a mask; then I hope that politeness will preclude me from telling them exactly where they can go.
If the arrival country does not have a masking requirement, either within the country or required for inbound flights, then masking is optional.

Originally Posted by xenole
At SFO at present and 95% wearing masks. Odd one sitting down with chin diapers, and a family have none on (child does, 2 adults don't)

Someone may have mentioned that things might change tomorrow, or I caught the tail end of a different conversation.
What's a chin diaper? Does it look like this?

Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Yes this entire mandate covered airport themselves also, though what would be interesting is if a local state mandate could then supersede the lack of a federal mandate? I suspect some states might put this to the test, though onboard is again covered by Federal law.
The City of Philadelphia currently has an indoor mask mandate, so technically at PHL (aside from A-West, I guess?) you'd still be required to wear a mask. Municipalities can normally implement local public health measures outside of what the federal government mandates, and have done so, not just throughout this pandemic, but pretty much forever. The fact that the judge ruled the CDC overstepped its statutory authority would have no bearing on whether a local government can impose those measures itself.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
And it looks like masks are now optional on Uber. I have a trip to NYC tomorrow. Trying to think of a reason to take a mask.
Yay! Also saw sitting in front seat with the driver is allowed again. Was so cramped sometime back when me, my wife, and daughter had to squeeze in the back of a Honda Fit or something.

As far as needing a mask for NYC, the MTA/subway is still requiring for now. Even NJ Transit which was holding firm on continuing with masks till last night just announced this morning it'll be optional Now I'll definitely walk from Penn Station even for long distances in Manhattan rather than wearing face diapers in the subway lol
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by njdealguy
Yay! Also saw sitting in front seat with the driver is allowed again. Was so cramped sometime back when me, my wife, and daughter had to squeeze in the back of a Honda Fit or something.

As far as needing a mask for NYC, the MTA/subway is still requiring for now. Even NJ Transit which was holding firm on continuing with masks till last night just announced this morning it'll be optional Now I'll definitely walk from Penn Station even for long distances in Manhattan rather than wearing face diapers in the subway lol
Considering all the people being pushed onto train tracks and shot up in the NYC Subway I would steer clear too.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PTahCha
If the arrival country does not have a masking requirement, either within the country or required for inbound flights, then masking is optional.
Does LHR? If it does have a masking requirement that would mean all maskless people disembarking an AA heavy from DFW would have to don them, no?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Originally Posted by enviroian
what about the airports though? Are they governed by the same rule as the airlines were? Are people walking around maskless at DFW today?
I saw 5 maskless folks (including an employee) in my quick walk from deplaning to bag claim… but that was three weeks ago. I can’t wait to see it next week.
LETTERBOY and TravelForum like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:37 am
Suspended

I just booked a flight 5 minutes ago, a day trip to Chicago, just so that I can fly without a mask. It's a completely total waste of money, but I've been waiting for this for so long, it's worth it. We'll go have lunch, walk around and fly back in the evening.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:47 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
8am at PHX: maybe 10% of people wearing masks.

PHX-PDX now: Same 10%ish….I’m still wearing one on the flight as I haven’t gotten Covid and don’t want to. LoL.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:48 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by PTahCha

What's a chin diaper? Does it look like this?

Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Does LHR? If it does have a masking requirement that would mean all maskless people disembarking an AA heavy from DFW would have to don them, no?
Masks are not required at LHR, CDG, FRA, ZRH to the best of my knowledge.
enviroian and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
We are truly approaching circa December 2019 travel times.
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
It appears that mask is recommended, but not required, at LHR as of 16 March, so I would imagine the answer is not required.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
On CDG's no-mask policy, you are correct. I was there earlier this month. The RER and the Metro might be another story (I haven't bothered to recheck lately).

Also, our local news outlets are saying that both Love Field and DFW have killed their mandates. I haven't been out there myself today, but let's just say that that decision is hardly surprising.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
They were at MUC a couple weeks ago when we connected there. Not sure if this was a German mandate or something more provincial/municipal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.