Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Update on Federal Mask Mandate (April 18: masks no longer required)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Update on Federal Mask Mandate (April 18: masks no longer required)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by olouie
This was the ultimate weapon for FAs. "If you do not wear your masks, we will be forced to give you the AAviator Mastercard pitch over and over until you do." 110% compliance guaranteed.
I think he's got it:

Instead of "Masks required if you are not vaccinated" we get

"Masks required if you don't have an AA credit card."
jmail1, drgreg, olouie and 10 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
This was the ultimate weapon for FAs. "If you do not wear your masks, we will be forced to give you the AAviator Mastercard pitch over and over until you do." 110% compliance guaranteed.
"Okay" *Dons noise-cancelling headphones and proceeds to ignore*
GrumpyYoungMan and AA_Flyer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by VFR
I don't think an appreciable number of people were avoiding flying specifically because of the mask rule. The different timeframe on Amtrak makes it difficult for most people used to jet travel.

I'll call Jeeves and cancel the private jet... tell the Nigels I'll be paying $9 for a Dewars in AA economy.
Let's hope that NO MASK = YES DRINKS (for me specifically by next week). But I'm afraid they may not be linked...

Added: went to read another thread and it is an Easter Miracle. AA is serving booze in coach. But seemingly at prices that make me pray for my upgrade...
worldwidedreamer and cmd320 like this.

Last edited by JMN57; Apr 18, 2022 at 8:32 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
I think he's got it:

And if you upgrade now to the AAviator business platinum deluxe card you can get enough mask exemptions to get you and your family to anywhere AA flies without a mask*

*Anywhere within 500 miles of an AA hub. Expires after 30 days.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by redtop43
I think he's got it:

This is GOLD Jerry!
volabam, donotblink and AA_Flyer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by mastertrust
Delta Air Lines(DAL) says it is making masks optional, and warned travelers they "may experience inconsistent enforcement during the next 24 hours as this news is more broadly communicated."
The flip side of this is inconsistent rebellion of half the plane rather just 1 or two. Should be a busy week filling out those no-fly papers
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Delta million miler; Southwest A list; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I'll be curious to see if business goes up or down for AA if masks are not required.

I immediately booked trips in private rooms on Amtrak to use instead of my upcoming AA trips.
I only wish Amtrak was an option for more of my destinations. I too will be using the private room option whenever possible.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by qacounts
I only wish Amtrak was an option for more of my destinations. I too will be using the private room option whenever possible.
Amtrak doesn’t use HEPA filters. So there’s that.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:08 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Raralith
But whose going to enforce this at the airport? The agency that's no longer going to enforce it? Was in PHL AC at B/C a few weeks back, only a few were wearing a mask, just holding a plate or drink. Hope the games up in PHL.
TSA has no enforcement authority.
volabam, AA_Flyer and EXP100 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm sure looking forward to the reduction in pre-flight announcements!
That should certainly free up their time for more credit card pitches. Maybe they can get 2/flight in now.
volabam and AA_Flyer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:19 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by QtownDave
How about the local police stationed there in the terminals?
I doubt local police are going to waste their time enforcing any mask mandate-they don't have enough officers for the number of travelers
volabam and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by qacounts
And you thought delays on American were annoying,,,,,,
olouie, njvandy, DMPHL and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Onboard AA686 PHX-SFO now. Most are still wearing masks, mostly because I don't think they realize the mandate is over. The "mask required" signs were still up in T4 and there were no announcements in the terminal or on board that masks are no longer required (but also no announcements they are required). GA was not wearing one but both FAs in the front cabin are. Felt weird to walk on without one, I kept expecting someone to tell me to put it on.

Great to be working on the laptop without having to worry about my reading glasses fogging up!

Oh, and there was no PDB, and it's now 30 minutes post-departure and I'm still waiting for a beverage. So the mandate is over but hit-or-miss AA service lives on.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Onboard AA686 PHX-SFO now. Most are still wearing masks, mostly because I don't think they realize the mandate is over. The "mask required" signs were still up in T4 and there were no announcements in the terminal or on board that masks are no longer required (but also no announcements they are required). GA was not wearing one but both FAs in the front cabin are. Felt weird to walk on without one, I kept expecting someone to tell me to put it on.

Great to be working on the laptop without having to worry about my reading glasses fogging up!

Oh, and there was no PDB, and it's now 30 minutes post-departure and I'm still waiting for a beverage. So the mandate is over but hit-or-miss AA service lives on.
Pandemics may come and go but AA uneven service is forever.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:05 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Seems official coming from the newsroom. United made a similar announcement, have not seen anything yet from Delta.
https://news.delta.com/masks-now-opt...e-announcement
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.