Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Update on Federal Mask Mandate (April 18: masks no longer required)

AA Update on Federal Mask Mandate (April 18: masks no longer required)

Old Apr 18, 22, 6:47 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by jmail1 View Post
So for the next 12 hours or so it’s going to be up to the crew whether they have “officially” been informed?
No. They all get informed before their flights. It's part of getting ready - looking at JetNet for updates, etc. Since this changes the announcement process, you can be sure that's updated.
jmail1, LETTERBOY, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 22, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
I expect we'll still see a lot of west coast cities with local mandates inside the airport. Is there a current list being kept of which cities had ordinances? Would be interesting to map that to AA destinations... especially where there are Admiral's Clubs.
But who is going to enforce and or punish the airlines for not requiring it since TSA has bowed out?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 18, 22, 6:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines, National Car Rental
I'll be curious to see if business goes up or down for AA if masks are not required.

I immediately booked trips in private rooms on Amtrak to use instead of my upcoming AA trips.
Old Apr 18, 22, 6:58 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler View Post
I'll be curious to see if business goes up or down for AA if masks are not required.

I immediately booked trips in private rooms on Amtrak to use instead of my upcoming AA trips.
I don't think an appreciable number of people were avoiding flying specifically because of the mask rule. The different timeframe on Amtrak makes it difficult for most people used to jet travel.

I'll call Jeeves and cancel the private jet... tell the Nigels I'll be paying $9 for a Dewars in AA economy.
Old Apr 18, 22, 6:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AC 50K, AT Gold, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 View Post
But who is going to enforce and or punish the airlines for not requiring it since TSA has bowed out?
Whomever enforces it in the rest of the municipality. For example, when DC had a mask mandate, it was largely enforced by the Alcohol Beverage Regulatory agency, who could take liquor license action against establishments.
Old Apr 18, 22, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (3 Million Mile Club), Global Entry
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
Seems official coming from the newsroom. United made a similar announcement, have not seen anything yet from Delta.

Delta Air Lines(DAL) says it is making masks optional, and warned travelers they "may experience inconsistent enforcement during the next 24 hours as this news is more broadly communicated."
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1 View Post
They’ll just double-down on credit cards.
This was the ultimate weapon for FAs. "If you do not wear your masks, we will be forced to give you the AAviator Mastercard pitch over and over until you do." 110% compliance guaranteed.
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines, National Car Rental
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I don't think an appreciable number of people were avoiding flying specifically because of the mask rule. The different timeframe on Amtrak makes it difficult for most people used to jet travel.

I'll call Jeeves and cancel the private jet... tell the Nigels I'll be paying $9 for a Dewars in AA economy.
Driving or staying home is an option for many, although yes, Amtrak doesn’t have enough capacity to really matter.
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:04 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP), MPC Gold, AS MVP
I'm impressed with how quickly UA/AS/DL were able to scrub the majority of their websites of mask mandate info.

AA's IT team must have the night off...
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raralith View Post
But whose going to enforce this at the airport? The agency that's no longer going to enforce it? Was in PHL AC at B/C a few weeks back, only a few were wearing a mask, just holding a plate or drink. Hope the games up in PHL.
How about the local police stationed there in the terminals?
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Philadelphia still mandates masks be worn indoors, I imagine this extends to the airport.

I seem to remember that A West is not actually in the City of Philadelphia... perhaps no masks required there.
Just walked through PHL and admirals club with no mask, nobody said boo to me. Wore it boarding, and shortly after the pilot announced it was an “historic” flight and that masks were optional. There was some applause and some unmasked. No drama. Feels great to be “normal” again! Departure was 8:27 pm EST, so about 1/2 hour after the AA announcement. It was a connection so no idea how TSA will handle it at the checkpoint. Philly has a citywide mandate.

Last edited by AA_Flyer; Apr 18, 22 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
AA was the laggard, but this is just in time for my 8:30 pm flight.
Me too! Were you in PHL? We might be in the same flight to MCO! 🤣
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:37 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jcatman View Post
If you remember, report back what it's like on that American Airlines flight this first evening of being able to fly maskless.
I fly tomorrow morning so I will post too!
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Just got off a connection while this release came out, hopped onto my next flight. FA standing at door maskless, someone asked while we were sitting in the front, “you’re not wearing a mask, do we not need them anymore?”. FA responds, “Hell no, we’re done with those.” And then proceeded to do a round of PDBs while we awaited maintenance.
WNLuvr, work2fly, Abidjan and 25 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 22, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
Just got off a connection while this release came out, hopped onto my next flight. FA standing at door maskless, someone asked while we were sitting in the front, “you’re not wearing a mask, do we not need them anymore?”. FA responds, “Hell no, we’re done with those.” And then proceeded to do a round of PDBs while we awaited maintenance.
Just like old times - mechanical and all.

I'm doing a PHL-PHX RT next week and really hoping it'll be sans mask including PHL.
cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread