Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else changing flights due to the well publicized issues at LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else changing flights due to the well publicized issues at LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by hdp323
My bad. It's been a while since I flew through MAD. When did AA move to T4? I'm glad to har that, because I have an upcoming flight connection through MAD next month from IB to AA.
Well AA usually flying out of T4S
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I have a routing LAX-LHR-FCO in early June, the latter with BA, I'm holding tickets with a 4 hour gap on ITA (reincarnated Alitalia) as a stop gap as well, Going to see how they do in May before I decide if I keep those tickets, making the assumption they will address most of the issues. UK school's aren't out while on this trip so it won't be a rush for LHR-other destinations like it was for school breaks and Easter the last few weeks. We'll see.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I have a routing LAX-LHR-FCO in early June, the latter with BA, I'm holding tickets with a 4 hour gap on ITA (reincarnated Alitalia) as a stop gap as well, Going to see how they do in May before I decide if I keep those tickets, making the assumption they will address most of the issues. UK school's aren't out while on this trip so it won't be a rush for LHR-other destinations like it was for school breaks and Easter the last few weeks. We'll see.
Be careful with early June (depends how early) as the Jubilee bank holiday will have shifted demand slightly from its usual places.

If you’re flying AA into London and terminating there, I wouldn’t worry too much. The biggest issue has been with BA ground staff and AA (I think) employ their own staff above the wing and use Menzies below the wing. AA’s timekeeping at LHR has been pretty good. If you’re a US passport holder, you’ll have e-gate access so even if the queues look huge, they tend to move pretty fast.

If you’re connecting to/from BA then general advice would be to take a connection as early in the day as possible and avoid weekends and public holidays as this is when BA seem to come under most pressure.

Additionally, if you only have access to Galleries Club, then take yourself straight to T5B when you arrive at T5 and go to the lounge there, it’s far, far quieter than any of the T5A lounges. Even if you have Galleries First access, you may be happier in T5B (Concorde Room is a different story).
Old Apr 18, 2022, 5:48 am

not as many IB codeshare flights and IB doesn’t have the frequency that BA does out of LHR

Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
Now, I will start by saying that I absolutely hate transiting through LHR under the best of circumstances - originating or terminating there is ok. The recent highly publicized issues at LHR (cancelled flights, extreme luggage delays....) prompted me to change two AA business class tickets I had scheduled for the summer to other carriers. This actually led to shorter travel time in both instances and in one a single connection within the US. I had sucked up the LHR transit initially to help with LP as I am so close to EXP for 2023. I think I'll still make it, but it was assured had I used these original flights.

Does anyone know why AA does not utilize the MADrid hub for Iberia more often as a connecting point? It is such a modern airport and in my experience so easy to use. If you are on ONEWORLD, you never have the hassle of taking lengthy bus rides between terminals, i.e., T4S and T4. I mean Iberia and BA are both owned by IAG, I've never understood the lack of use of MAD as a connecting point.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I really wouldn't worry. The issues with BA haven't really affected connecting passengers using the connections route through the airport.
NickP 1K likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I blame no one for not connecting at LHR if you have to use that clunky old terminal and the fact that LHR is like trying to pour a quart into a pint pot. However let us be clear - if you are arriving on one of the flights using T5 than it is pretty plain (excuse pun) sailing. You do have to redo security which is idiotic in my very un-humble opinion even though you have been flying for hours already - however that apart it is a doddle.

MAD is a most efficient airport but if you have to transfer from T4S to T4 - you do (I will stand correction here) have to go through Immigration as you are entering the EU. However I am not Iberia's greatest fan - but that is just me.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by hdp323
My bad. It's been a while since I flew through MAD. When did AA move to T4? I'm glad to har that, because I have an upcoming flight connection through MAD next month from IB to AA.
AA has been in T4 since the day it opened in 2006. Enjoy your much easier than you were expecting MAD connection.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Is AA at T4 or T4S? My recollection is that all non-Schengen arrivals typically park at T4S gates.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Is AA at T4 or T4S? My recollection is that all non-Schengen arrivals typically park at T4S gates.
T4S - although check-in and baggage reclaim for all T4 and T4S flights are in the main T4 building. Prior to COVID, there was a non-Schengen area of the main T4 building that served Iberia narrowbodies but I don’t know if that’s been reactivated yet.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by sigma421
Be careful with early June (depends how early) as the Jubilee bank holiday will have shifted demand slightly from its usual places.
Landing on the 7th - 2 days after the official end of the 4 day bank holiday weekend. Tue - so assuming few issues. I have my 11 year old with me so no e-gates (need to be 12+) - I have a UK passport so I just get in the assisted UK line and they have no issues having my kid with a US passport as well. Only need to worry about this if we switch to ITA vs flying BA

Right now my BA flight is T5 and my AA flight arrives T5 - would be good to know how bad connections center in T5 has been and if there is an open FastTrack in the connections center.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
From reading the BA board, connections doesn't seem to have been the issue.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Maybe I've been lucky, but flying several times to LHR T5 (as a destination and as a transfer point) I have not had any major delays this year. Security is still horrendous, but I have finally figured out how to dress to get through the scanner and managed to get my carry on organized so that I have not had to have anything rescreened.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
From reading the BA board, connections doesn't seem to have been the issue.
I've done about 5 connections through LHR this year and connection security can be a nightmare - they are still not staffing that security area well enough sometimes, I've entered the UK when I can and gone through other security screening points quicker. To top this off, If you have a late arrival and BA (happens often lately) you can be hosed making the next flight. I've also had BA cancel Europe short-haul flights with little notice the last few weeks leaving me with failed connections. So, connections can be affected as well, generally though you are given a little bit of warning, but many times few ideal options. I've actually started flying LH via MUC to get to LHR to make long haul AA flights. Not had ONE issue with LH whereas the BA nonstop is hours delayed or cancelled from my origin in Europe
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
One nice feature of LHR is the AM JFK-LHR flight on BA. I wish one could do that on IB via MAD.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
BA's product is also much better than IB. If you're flying AA on the long flight and then connecting to Europe it doesn't really matter but if you're connecting further or your first flight is on BA/IB metal, you'll notice the difference.

exception being to TLV, where IB has lie flats from MAD.

unfortunately, BA is often the cheapest option now even incl surcharges vs AA bazillion miles quote.

I’m in the new BA cabins TATL only way back to VCE. Haven’t tried them but expect id prefer AAs 77W in J. But should I expect problems transiting LHR in VCE-LHR-LAX in J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.