Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite with non elite same record or split record

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

What is the latest on this issue? Can you split the two pax record and still get the non elite companion upgraded? Several years ago the computer system would skip over two people if only one first class seat was available for upgrade..
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Centurion
What is the latest on this issue? Can you split the two pax record and still get the non elite companion upgraded? Several years ago the computer system would skip over two people if only one first class seat was available for upgrade..
Nothing has changed. An elite's companion has never needed to be on the same PNR in order to get upgrade privileges. If you are on the same PNR and the system releases one seat then it would skip you and go to the first single upgrade request. If this happens at the gate then sometimes the GA will ask, and other times they will just go to first single request as well.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:45 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Just had this work as intended. My non-elite companion and I were on separate PNRs for a trip. At time of booking, weeks before trip, sent a twitter DM to @AmericanAir requesting they make sure she is linked so she could be assigned MCE seat next to me and get on the UG list with me. At T-46 hours, we both were upgraded, but put in seats not together even though the one next to me was empty on the seat map. This was PHL-CLT. Day of departure there were only about 8 on the app list(and also at the gate). 3 cleared. I noticed the first name on the list did not clear, though. Not sure why...if they had a companion, why wouldn't they still have cleared since numbers 2-4 did clear? This happened right around 40 minutes prior to departure. I guess it's possible #1 never checked in and was a no show. Or on an inbound connection that wasn't going to make it in time.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by PHL
Just had this work as intended. My non-elite companion and I were on separate PNRs for a trip. At time of booking, weeks before trip, sent a twitter DM to @AmericanAir requesting they make sure she is linked so she could be assigned MCE seat next to me and get on the UG list with me. At T-46 hours, we both were upgraded, but put in seats not together even though the one next to me was empty on the seat map. This was PHL-CLT. Day of departure there were only about 8 on the app list(and also at the gate). 3 cleared. I noticed the first name on the list did not clear, though. Not sure why...if they had a companion, why wouldn't they still have cleared since numbers 2-4 did clear? This happened right around 40 minutes prior to departure. I guess it's possible #1 never checked in and was a no show. Or on an inbound connection that wasn't going to make it in time.
Does your companion have to be on the same itinerary, I.e AAA-BBB-CCC, or is it possible to link if your companion is just doing BBB-CCC?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by safari ari
Does your companion have to be on the same itinerary, I.e AAA-BBB-CCC, or is it possible to link if your companion is just doing BBB-CCC?
Yes, the whole itinerary doesn't have to match, but your companion can only be upgraded on the segments that you are also on.
safari ari likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.