Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA changed my Int First class award to Business (not a sched change)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA changed my Int First class award to Business (not a sched change)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
AA needs to realize that in some cases people are booking connecting flights to get more segments.
True, although that wasn’t the reason I booked LAX-BOS-ORD. I wanted to get to ORD fairly early, and I would rather take a redeye on a transcon (I booked J) than most domestic flights (although late last year I did manage to get a 789 on LAX-ORD but those days are over). In any case, my reasons for wanting a stop in BOS should be up to me to decide, not AA.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I wouldn’t be surprised if it was entirely automated, but by an algo that thinks the nonstop is better. Just call to get whatever you want.
This. Just call and tell AA you booked F and want F they will likely give you options for that, the computer was trying to “help” and indexed on getting you to ORD. AA (and most airlines) have shocking poor IT systems so unfortunately expecting the system to recognize that someone in F probably wants to be in F is too much to ask.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
This just happened to me as well concerning a trip from LFT to LHR and back this August. I was booked in Flagship First on a 773 on the return LHR-JFK (and then connecting via CLT to LFT) and now I'm in Flagship Business on a 772 LHR-CLT.

Now waiting for AA to call me back so we can hopefully sort this out.....

UPDATE: At my request, the AA res agent quickly changed my return to a LHR-DFW nonstop with a seat in Flagship First on a 773.
TheDudeAbides likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 18, 2022 at 12:44 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hbtr
True, although that wasn’t the reason I booked LAX-BOS-ORD. I wanted to get to ORD fairly early, and I would rather take a redeye on a transcon (I booked J) than most domestic flights (although late last year I did manage to get a 789 on LAX-ORD but those days are over). In any case, my reasons for wanting a stop in BOS should be up to me to decide, not AA.
Not really, you purchased a ticket from LAX to ORD and AA’s obligation is to get you from LAX to ORD. If you broke the fare you’d have a stronger argument, but it would probably cost more $.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago, LAX-BOS-ORD changed to LAX-ORD arriving 1 day early. This happened the day after I booked it and the original flights had only changed by a few minutes, if at all. Worst thing was that at that point, the BOS-ORD leg had one seat left in F and I was afraid it would go away before I could call in and wait 2-3 hours on hold. Cancelling and rebooking wasn’t a good option because the price had increased $500. Finally did get through and they restored the original flights.

As usual there was no notification of the change from AA. I now check my flights every day. Already experienced an additional schedule change but this time AA kept the same itinerary.
You do not have to check every day; you just have to check starting around 12:01AM Sunday Eastern time. That is when schedule changes if any will usually be updated.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not really, you purchased a ticket from LAX to ORD and AA’s obligation is to get you from LAX to ORD. If you broke the fare you’d have a stronger argument, but it would probably cost more $.
Nope. The first flight I booked in my itinerary was LAX-BOS. AA is obligated to get me to BOS.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Nope. The first flight I booked in my itinerary was LAX-BOS. AA is obligated to get me to BOS.
No, they are not. The ticket sold is from LAX to ORD. AA’s Conditions of Carriage make clear that they may change your flight, operating aircraft, seat assignment, operating airline, stopover cities, and/or departure and arrival times without any issues. You’re entitled to ask for something else but travelling via BOS is not part of your contract with AA.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
No, they are not. The ticket sold is from LAX to ORD. AA’s Conditions of Carriage make clear that they may change your flight, operating aircraft, seat assignment, operating airline, stopover cities, and/or departure and arrival times without any issues. You’re entitled to ask for something else but travelling via BOS is not part of your contract with AA.
I don't think any of AA's published LAX-ORD fares allow routing through BOS. Seems like the fare was broken to allow the BOS connection in the first place?

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I don't think any of AA's published LAX-ORD fares allow routing through BOS. Seems like the fare was broken to allow the BOS connection in the first place?

-FlyerBeek
The fare isn’t really relevant. If it was sold as a single ticket then that’s what creates the obligation in the contract. If there’s two ticket numbers then I’d agree that it’s different but if that was the case, I don’t think AA would be re-routing at all.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The fare isn’t really relevant. If it was sold as a single ticket then that’s what creates the obligation in the contract. If there’s two ticket numbers then I’d agree that it’s different but if that was the case, I don’t think AA would be re-routing at all.
If purchasing LAX-ORD with a transit ( not a stopover ) at BOS, then there is no obligation to ensure that you travel via BOS
If there is a stopover in BOS, then its obligation is to get you to BOS
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:45 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If purchasing LAX-ORD with a transit ( not a stopover ) at BOS, then there is no obligation to ensure that you travel via BOS
If there is a stopover in BOS, then its obligation is to get you to BOS
The info we are missing is whether hbtr intentionally scheduled a stop in BOS and for how long of a stay.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by seawolf
The info we are missing is whether hbtr intentionally scheduled a stop in BOS and for how long of a stay.
Just to get the details right, I don't think that what hbtr "intended" has anything to do with the answer. And the length of the stay is only inferentially relevant as it relates to the real question "Is the fare, which hbtr purchased, for travel to BOS, with a separate fare from BOS-ORD, or is the fare for travel to ORD?"
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by sbrower
Just to get the details right, I don't think that what hbtr "intended" has anything to do with the answer. And the length of the stay is only inferentially relevant as it relates to the real question "Is the fare, which hbtr purchased, for travel to BOS, with a separate fare from BOS-ORD, or is the fare for travel to ORD?"
Intent matters because no one other than this community here cares/knows fare calculation.

If hbtr intentionally created a multi-city booking with BOS and picked a ground time of 3 hours 40 minutes because he/she wanted to have lunch with a friend near the airport (and the subsequent flight from BOS would result in a 7 hour stop), hbtr is not going to care about how the fare was constructed (whether it was a LAX-ORD fare with a BOS routing or a LAX-BOS and BOS-ORD fare combined).

AA of course may disagree if fare was LAX-ORD and this could end up being a HUACA/customer service situation.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by seawolf
Intent matters because no one other than this community here cares/knows fare calculation.

If hbtr intentionally created a multi-city booking with BOS and picked a ground time of 3 hours 40 minutes because he/she wanted to have lunch with a friend near the airport (and the subsequent flight from BOS would result in a 7 hour stop), hbtr is not going to care about how the fare was constructed (whether it was a LAX-ORD fare with a BOS routing or a LAX-BOS and BOS-ORD fare combined).

AA of course may disagree if fare was LAX-ORD and this could end up being a HUACA/customer service situation.
I agree with customer service (no matter what hbtr originally intended). Sometimes you can get a favorable change to a reservation. BUT, in terms of what AA is obligated to do, only the fare basis counts - even if hbtr intentionally chose a flight with a long stopover, that doesn't mean that AA is obligated to give him ANY time in Boston.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Did u check if the plane got downgauged? Maybe thats why you got placed into business, as there were not enough 1st seats to have u in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.