Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main cabin extra or premium economy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
For 18000 miles I would choose the PE. I have a flight to Frankfurt next month and the PE seat is more than $1000 more expensive than economy, that is far too much.
If flying from the west coast, and assuming that you are talking about round trip prices, I'd gladly pay $1000 extra, unless I felt I could get a better deal upgrading with miles or just getting an award ticket. That's 20 hr of flying time; there's no way I would do that in economy.

From the east coast it's less clear but I would still try hard to avoid economy.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:32 pm

Wouldn’t it be better to use an swu?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
On the PE vs empty coach row:

PE more comfortable for lounging
Empty coach row more comfortable for sleeping

So on a day eastbound TATL flight I would take PE option if the cost is not much more.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:00 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Take the PE seats. Most of us don’t want a 10 hour flight on economy.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:32 am

As I stated above, on my flight MAD to CLT yesterday there were only 6 people in PE. I left my bulkhead aisle seat and moved to the empty bulkhead middle seats, very comfortable trip. I also went back and checked the economy bulkhead seats, and the second row aisle seat in economy that has no one in front (777-200). They weren’t bad at all, plenty of legroom, because the economy bulkhead doesn’t go to the floor. What you are giving up is seat width more than legroom. The service is exactly the same except maybe economy only gets plastic cutlery and a smaller tray. So for my trip next month my choice is economy bulkhead aisle, PE definitely not worth $1000 extra for me but I would upgrade for 18,000 miles if I could.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I think a lot of people would agree that having a full row of 4 seats isnt so bad. The question I guess for OP is 1) when are you (or your travel companions) flying, and 2) how full is the flight now.
@Hornetcoach makes a good observation, but what is a typical loadout from MAD to CLT in April may not be the same if OP were to be flying in, say, July.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I think a lot of people would agree that having a full row of 4 seats isnt so bad. The question I guess for OP is 1) when are you (or your travel companions) flying, and 2) how full is the flight now.
@Hornetcoach makes a good observation, but what is a typical loadout from MAD to CLT in April may not be the same if OP were to be flying in, say, July.
Personally I disagree that an empty row of economy seats is better for sleeping. I would much rather sleep in a PE seat than sprawled across multiple economy seats, which I find extremely uncomfortable.

It's not about legroom (plenty of MCE seats have lots of legroom, and I say this as someone who is 6'2 and likes to stretch my legs out); it's about the width of the seat, amount of recline, the foot rests, and the comfort of the seat.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Just booked myself and daughter award PE from LHR to MIA. Same sort of thing - 35k miles in economy, 50k 'web special' for PE, had the miles available, was a no brainer. Cash price however was a good 2.5x PE vs economy....I'd not have wanted to pay that much of a markup.
sushanna1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.