Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Refund of award tix "except non-ref taxes whether you travel or not", what are these?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund of award tix "except non-ref taxes whether you travel or not", what are these?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:54 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I'm a no status member with AA thinking of booking a BA award using AA miles (such as LHR-MAD), but am not too sure whether I may need to cancel it later.

The award tix refund policy is still pretty generous, but has this caveat on page https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...rd-travel.jsp:

...If your plans change and you no longer wish to travel, you can cancel your trip anytime on aa.com. We’ll reinstate your miles and refund eligible taxes and fees up to 1 year after the ticket issue date.. [but] Refunds of taxes and fees will be issued in full amounts, less:
  • Sale-imposed nonrefundable taxes
  • Taxes we must pay whether or not you travel
Does anyone know what kinds of taxes are these, and how could I tell if they are non refundable before I book, such as on my LHR-MAD ticket? Would it depend on when I cancel the ticket, such as, canceling on the day of travel might not receive a refund of the UK APD or PSC tax?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TA
Does anyone know what kinds of taxes are these, and how could I tell if they are non refundable before I book, such as on my LHR-MAD ticket? Would it depend on when I cancel the ticket, such as, canceling on the day of travel might not receive a refund of the UK APD or PSC tax?
For a flight like LHR-MAD you should get 100% of the taxes and fees refunded when you cancel. With all awards booked through AA it doesn't matter when you cancel as long as it's before the scheduled departure time of the first flight.

I'm sure there is some obscure tax on some flight somewhere that is not refunded if you cancel, hence why AA has to include that language. But in my 20+ years of booking (and canceling) award tickets I've never seen it. It could also just be a relic of the past, for example back when AA charged 'expedite' fees for booking awards within certain times these were always nonrefundable if you canceled.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:30 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.