Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning loyalty points on a ba ticket but American metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro

Hey all - sorry if this had been posted before but I am pretty new to loyalty points.

if I book an itinerary on ba ticket stock but fly American metal, and put my aa number into the reservation, how do I calculate the loyalty points? Using the aa calculator or the partner calculator?

thanks in advance
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotcrab
Hey all - sorry if this had been posted before but I am pretty new to loyalty points.

if I book an itinerary on ba ticket stock but fly American metal, and put my aa number into the reservation, how do I calculate the loyalty points? Using the aa calculator or the partner calculator?

thanks in advance
The important part is not the ticket stock, but who it's marketed by (the airline in the flight number)
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

So if it’s a ba codeshare in the flight number it uses the partner calculator?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
So if it’s a ba codeshare in the flight number it uses the partner calculator?
Yes, if it's a BA flight number but operated by AA you earn according to the BA earning chart at aa.com.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I ended up being a little more creative and booking an aa ticket with all aa flight numbers.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Thanks for the advice! I ended up being a little more creative and booking an aa ticket with all aa flight numbers.
That's pretty creative! I can't say that I've ever seen that done before.
Deckter likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Hey, is it correct that now, with the new AAdvantage earning program, that it is better to book TATL flights as AA flights rather than BA flights? Before this, it was more advantageous to book TATL flights on BA, at least in terms of EQD. BTW, I am ExPlat.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by handspring088
Hey, is it correct that now, with the new AAdvantage earning program, that it is better to book TATL flights as AA flights rather than BA flights? Before this, it was more advantageous to book TATL flights on BA, at least in terms of EQD. BTW, I am ExPlat.
Nothing has changed with regards to "what is better" to book with the new program. You still need to do the math for each and every potential itinerary. It will always vary depending on the total fare, booking code, specific cities, etc.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:04 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
...if I book an itinerary on ba ticket stock but fly American metal, and put my aa number into the reservation, how do I calculate the loyalty points? Using the aa calculator or the partner calculator?
Does anyone have a link to the calculator?

Trying to figure out credit optimization for the following situation:
→ BA issued business ticket
→ BA marketed and operated flights for intra-Europe (J)
→ BA market and operated flights for TATL (I)
→ AA marketed and operated flights for intra-US (I)
I'm struggling to figure out how my AA marketed and operated flights but issued on BA ticket stock will credit if I opt to have them post to my AA account.

My guess is it'll be based of the revenue for the sector (vs. the mileage flown), but if this is correct, I am unsure as how to estimate how much revenue to associate with the intra-US sectors.

Any guidance offered would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Does anyone have a link to the calculator?

Trying to figure out credit optimization for the following situation:
→ BA issued business ticket
→ BA marketed and operated flights for intra-Europe (J)
→ BA market and operated flights for TATL (I)
→ AA marketed and operated flights for intra-US (I)
I'm struggling to figure out how my AA marketed and operated flights but issued on BA ticket stock will credit if I opt to have them post to my AA account.

My guess is it'll be based of the revenue for the sector (vs. the mileage flown), but if this is correct, I am unsure as how to estimate how much revenue to associate with the intra-US sectors.

Any guidance offered would be greatly appreciated.
here it is : https://lpcalculator.com/#/landing
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:55 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Thanks!

Played around with it but not sure how to allocate a revenue sub component (the domestic US part that’s marketed and operated by AA) vs the whole fare (the one way fare that I do know BUT includes the intra Europe / TATL / intra US sectors).
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Thanks!

Played around with it but not sure how to allocate a revenue sub component (the domestic US part that’s marketed and operated by AA) vs the whole fare (the one way fare that I do know BUT includes the intra Europe / TATL / intra US sectors).
You have raised what might be called the 64-dollar question ! This is the bit that I find completely opaque.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Thanks!

If this was booked through a TA, ask the TA for the fare calculation line. That will show the value for each origin/destination pair. If you booked through the airline, some include this in their receipts, some don't.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
If this was booked through a TA, ask the TA for the fare calculation line. That will show the value for each origin/destination pair. If you booked through the airline, some include this in their receipts, some don't.
I did use ITA → book with matrix → Priceline.

The issue is ITA quotes the [AAA] → [ZZZ] even if the flight sequence is [BA_AAA] → [BA_BBB] → [AA_CCC] → [AA_ZZZ].

To throw some sample numbers up - I know the fare component for AAA → ZZZ is $1,000 but do not know how much of that $1,000 would be allocated to the AA_CCC → AA_ZZZ sectors.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Importantly, I don't think that AA does include this in their receipts. But even if they did (or you booked through a TA that provides it), I've never seen such a line breaking out individual flights rather than individual fare components, though. A fare component can definitely encompass two or more flights.

In other contexts (e.g., refunds), AA allocates dollars within a fare component to individual flights based on % of mileage for that component, so my best guess is that is the approach that applies here as well, but it would be interesting if someone actually had fare calculations and loyalty points from such a set of flights to validate this theory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.